1. The Jedi Council Forum Rules have been revised.

View the revisions here, and see the Communications thread for more details.

Buy or Build?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by GreenGreatWarrior, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. GreenGreatWarrior Force Ghost

star 4
    Hi, my fanfilm should get into the production stage in around 5 months and I need 5 sabers for the film. I was wondering should I make my own sabers, or by those £8 Hasbro ones and customise them?
  2. krillindb Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, I am doiong a fanfilm myself andbuilt my own sabers ahead of time. Little did i know that they werent very stable, i had pieces fall off left and right during choreography practice. So my firends and i have ordered 2 RLSA sabers and will order another fairly soon. Iam hopingthat these will hold up better thatn my homemade ones. But i think the store bought toy ones would work fine except when you rotoscope them the blades will be too thick. You could take out the plastic blade and fit some pvc and copper tubing into the hilt then screw a wooden dowel in for a blade.

Hope this helps.
  3. Q99213 Jedi Master

star 4
    Depends on the quality of your fan film. Everyone that has spent time rotoscoping or making a serious prop will know your saber is a toy. If you don't care about that, then go with it. Otherwise, I suggest heading over to home depot, picking up some chrome tubing and rivets, and use your imagination. And riveted parts don't come off ;)
  4. krillindb Jedi Knight

star 1
    Actually Q99213 I had to replace some rivets because a few came loose and 1 or 2 came out. And when i built them i had to push to get the rivet in the hole before i expanded it with my pop riveter.
  5. GreenGreatWarrior Force Ghost

star 4
    I have never built a saber before, so that could be a problem, and also the money. 5 Sabers, a saber costs around £30 max to make, now 30x5=A lot of money.
  6. Q99213 Jedi Master

star 4
    Really krillindb? What size rivets were you using? I've actuallyhad more of a problem with screws winding themselves out than with rivets. Weird :)
  7. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    There's a fanfilm, PA Wars, that uses 'toy' lightsabers, but the movie is still excellent. It depends on the effect you want. If you want a serious movie, Like Duality, make you own, it'll give off a better effect.
  8. krillindb Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well Q99213, I used 1/8" rivets. Also, i agree with you about how easily screws come undone, i use them to secure my blades. After a days worth of use, the blades become loose so i have to tighten the screws. I also sometimes have to turn the blade over and drill holes in the other end of the blade because the origional holes in the dowel get striped out and my blades wobble. I am still trying to figure out a beter way to secure my blades.

--BTW Dont mind my lack of spaces insome areas, my spacebaris broken.--
  9. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You should be able to build sabers pretty cheap. I've made decent ones (with blades that stood up to use, but not abuse) for $25 or less. Check out your local hardware store for pluming supplies. That should cover a good part of the problem.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.