main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buying System late in there run.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Dante_Glass, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I was just wondering if people though it was still worth while to buy systems this late in there run. We all know there will be new ones out in a few years but with chirstmas coming up sales are on the rise. Even with people who know they'll be buying a new one in a few years.Is it worth it, Your thoughts?

2. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I'd say it depends on the system and when the new version would be coming out. If you're waiting a year then just buy the current version. Personally, if I was looking at 6 months, I'd buy a current version. Yes, there will be some new bells and whistles on newer console versions, but I don't think it would be enough to make you wait for them.

3. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    There is certainly nothing wrong with buying any of the current gaming systems now. in fact, it's probably the best time to get a ps2 or xbox with the exclusives coming out for each. and nintendo's gamecube should never be looked over, especially with Metroid Prime: Echoes and the next gen Zelda on the way.

Here's something to keep in mind, though. The newer systems may be backwards compatible with the older titles (i'm guessing the ps3 and xbox next will both have that feature, but it isn't certain) so if there are games of this era you want to play, the wait for the new console would be worth it since the prices will reduce even further for those titles, or at least they should by that time.

It's really a question of whether you are willing to pay for the newer consoles and wait that little bit longer. Either way, it is money well spent.

or you could always buy a pc :p

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Nothing wrong at all. I'm still hoping to get a SNES. :)

5. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Heck, I just bought a gamecube last winter, and a X-Box in Feburary. I have over 200 games for each console.

6. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    You have a year before the Xbox Next comes out followed by the PS3 and possibly Nintendos next console. So you still have plenty of time to enjoy a current system plus you already have a great selection of games to choose from, many of which have been slashed in price. :)

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

7. lomion

lomion Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2004
    Another thing, the PS3 will at least be compat with ps2 games. Sony isn't dumb to cut out ps2 compat, psx might be different. The fact that they still sell the psx and psx games though makes me doubt they will remove the psx compat. Xbox though is up in the air last I heard in regards to compatability.

8. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Heck, I just bought a gamecube last winter, and a X-Box in Feburary. I have over 200 games for each console.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: You suck. :p

I bought a PS2 in Feb. of last year. And a PC in May of this year. I am thinking of an XBX for 2 reasons a. exclusives I would love to have (Halo 2, MechAssault, Unreal Chamionship, etc.) and b. I don't have the cash for an XBX2, Revolution or PS3. So a used XBX for about 90 bucks at the local game exchange would rock.

9. Dante_Glass

Apr 2, 2004
    See I was thinking I?d get this sweet deal on with the X-Box now, 249(Can)with fable and crimson skies and two free mounths of X-box Live, and then when I went away to university I could take it with me and stuff cause I wouldn't have enough time or money for an X2 for oh I don?t know 4 years. Its great that it doubles as a DVD player but they better come out with the new Perfect Dark game on the X-Box and not X2 or they'll be forcing my hand to pick one up.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    You can't play DVD movies on your XBOX unless you get a $20-$30 playback kit, which really sucks.

11. Vader_Sanders

Vader_Sanders Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    I would say you should buy a PS2, i think its a good idea to get one, even if PS3 is coming out soon
    I mean, you can play CD's, DVD's and PS1 and PS2 games, I mean, if you buy a PS3 later, and dont use the PS2 anymore for games, you can still use it as a DVD player

12. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>You can't play DVD movies on your XBOX unless you get a $20-$30 playback kit, which really sucks.<<<

Thats true. But I was checking out EB the other day and I'm not sure if they are offering any bundles with the new PS2. The Xbox is giving you two games and free Xbox Live for the same price as the PS2. So even if your getting charged 20 bucks more for the remote you still come out ahead of the PS2. Ubisoft also has a nice deal coming up soon for the Xbox. Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six 3 bundled togther for 40 bucks. I'm thinking of grabbing that, can't go wrong with three brand new games for the price of one. :D

Hehe, I've been thing of selling my Xbox so I can get the new Crystal one.

[image=http://www.xbox.com/media/system/emea-crystalconsole/sim-crystalconsole-0001.jpg]
    Thats how the Xbox should have looked from the beginning. Instead of black plastic.

-----signature-----

13. Dante_Glass

Apr 2, 2004
    Picked it up, my nice new crystal X-Box, its purdy ;P

14. Vader_Sanders

Vader_Sanders Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    thats nice
    although i still think the black and green xbox is pretty cool looking
    they should make differnt colored PS2's like gold or silver or something

15. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    Wow! An X-Box that I don't find ugly! That's a new. ;)

Pretty. :)

16. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    I intend to purchase for myself this Christmas a green and black Xbox. It'll only be a year or two before the Xbox Next supercedes my new piece of hardware.

But does that really matter?

I bought Goldeneye for my N64 back in '97. I still play it frequently, and it's still bloody fun. I mean, even if the technology's old, the games are still fun, and you can enjoy them for years to come.

17. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Half the time, DVDs won't work on PS2 or X-Box, even if you have the thing to play it with. I'd just buy a DVD player.

18. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Out of 30 DVDs I've tried on my Box only one didn't work. And that was one of the extra discs on the Extended The Two Towers.

-----signature-----

19. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    Everyone here convinced me to buy a Gamecube. I'll be picking it up soon with an onslaught of games. :p

20. General-Jawa007

General-Jawa007 Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2004
    scince we are all on the subject on systems late in the run. i have a choice between a ps2 and a DS. which would eb a better system?

21. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    If you wait too long, you run the risk of shops no longer selling the games. For eg, now is the best time to acquire a first hand Game Cube which should eb selling for around AUD$200-250. That's nearly half the $400 is first came out as.

And it does have the new LOTR-looking Zelda game coming, two Metroid-class games, and others.

I wanted to get a whole bunch of N64 games a few years ago, but even then they were off the shelves. Places like ebay and such would be the way to go; but there should still be titles in the online sellers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.