main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga By Any Other Name (H/L Vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Miska, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    Hi guys! This is a little vignette I got the idea for a while ago and I just played around with it. Enjoy!

By Any Other Name

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet.-
    Juliet, from Shakespeare?s ?Romeo and Juliet?

We started out with ?Princess?- uttered in that defiant, devil-may-care voice- and ?Captain?- with that snippy, cool tone she used to have. I won?t lie and say that I fell for Leia the first time I saw her, because it was more like, ?What the hell did I get myself into?? Oh, and I?m sure she thought the same of me. After the trip to Yavin IV, we left the Falcon wanting to kill each other. She was unlike any woman I?d ever met; stubborn and bossy and totally dedicated to a cause. And me?let?s just say that I was one of the few guys she knew who didn?t worship her or put her up on a pedestal.

But I decided to hang around with the Rebel bunch after the first Death Star. After all, it couldn?t be worse than smuggling for Jabba. And in those years before Ord Mantell, something changed between us. It became ?Your Highnessness? or ?Your Worshipfullness? on my part, and ?Nerf-herder? or ?Laser Brain? on hers. Sure, we enjoyed the banter- and so did the rest of the base, I?m sure- but sometimes I used to wonder if there couldn?t be more to our relationship than fights and name-calling. ?Sometimes? were those rare moments of understanding between us. Those were the times when we could be just Leia and Han to each other, and they were few and far between, usually ending in some tactless comment from me or a sharp remark from her that resulted in a huge argument. But while they lasted? they weren?t too bad.

Anyway, then this little mission called Ord Mantell came along, and it changed everything. Because it made me realize that I was putting them- Luke, the Alliance, and especially Leia- in danger. Sure, it would hurt her if I left, but a blaster bolt to the chest would hurt a lot more. Boy, did Leia call me some names when she heard about that decision. But I was determined, so I boarded up the Falcon and got ready to leave.

But it wasn?t five minutes before I was back at her side, watching out for her as the Imperials invaded the base. I?ll never forget the look she gave me when she realized I hadn?t gone. It was pure electricity She glanced up, her big brown eyes meeting mine for a flash, and said in that beautiful voice,

?Why are you still here??

At least, it was romantic to me. Okay, I knew I had been reduced to ?you? now, but that didn?t matter, because that was when I finally knew how I felt about her.

So we got away safely on the Falcon, and over the next few weeks we went through every name in the book for each other, and then some. Finally I caught her in a corner of the ship and made her confess her real feelings for me. After that, it was one hell of a ride. We?ve had our ups and downs, but the trip to Bespin was definitely one of the ups.

Bespin. I can?t even say it without a shudder. That was where a friend I?d known for 15 years betrayed me, Darth Vader nearly got his hands on Luke, and I almost lost Leia for good. And it was during that night we spent in our cell block there that we both realized something.

It doesn?t really matter what we call each other. It never has. Because behind ?Ice Princess?, ?Your Worshipfulness?, and ?Sweetheart? was Leia- a lonely woman who was almost afraid to let herself feel. And behind ?Captain?, ?Mercenary?, and ?Nerf-Herder? was a guy who?d been hurt before and didn?t want to get hurt again. All the fights and glares and name calling were just elaborate disguises for our real feelings. We were so concerned with hiding our feelings and not being wounded that we never noticed what was happening right under our noses: the princess and the smuggler were falling in love.

It?s funny now to remember all our previous arguments and fights. We laugh when we try to figure out what some of them were about, or why we said the things w

2. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Great viggie, Miska!

I enjoyed it very much! :D

3. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Awww, Miska, that was so cute! My favorite line:

?Why are you still here??

At least, it was romantic to me. Okay, I knew I had been reduced to ?you? now, but that didn?t matter, because that was when I finally knew how I felt about her.

Great fic, Miska! It was really incharacter and I enjoyed it very much! :)

4. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Aww! Great mushy goodness!

5. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Miska! Adorable fic girl. :D

You've captures some of the highlights of the Han/Leia relationship...Well, those legendary fights made up a large part of the highlights right? ;)

At least, it was romantic to me. ;) Heheh, that was funny. So very Han!

...the princess and the smuggler were falling in love. Aaaah, love... [face_love]

Sweet stuff Miska...enjoyed this little viggie very much. :D

6. Sunshine

Sunshine Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2003
    Miska, it's adorable. I always thought it was- it was my pleasure to beta it, 'cause I got to read it before everyone else. :D

7. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Ditto what Puggy said. :D

Nicely done, Miska.

8. StonedRose

StonedRose Jedi Master star 2

Jan 20, 2001
    Wonderful! In-character and adorable. Great viggy. :)

9. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001

Aww, that was sweet, Miska. It was a very nice summary of their relationship.

J_Girl

10. ChinchillaFairy

ChinchillaFairy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2002
  11. starwarsfan68

starwarsfan68 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2003
    Love it. Now I challenge you to do one from Leia's point of view.

12. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    awww.. cute.. very nice.. :)

DM

13. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    That was worthy of the Bard himself. I ADORE shakespeare so this was the first thing I clicked on to read tonight and I wish I'd saved it for last.

14. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    ::blushes:: I'm glad you guys liked it so much!!! This is actually the first H/L piece I've posted independently on the boards, and I was amazed at the reaction!!

crystalrain- Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Puggy- Yeah, lol I liked that line too :)

Daughter_of_YubYub- Glad you liked it! Gotta love the mush :)

Blaine- The fights are one of my favorite parts of Han and Leia's relationship...they're so adorable!

Sunshine- You did a *great* job beta-ing :) Thanks again!

Knight_Ander, StonedRose, JGirl, ChinchillaFairy, and DarthMasan- Thanks! Glad you all liked it!

starwarsfan Thanks- I just might... ;-) Actually, though, check my profile for a link to a vignette from Leia's POV.

RogueSticks I never really enjoyed Shakespeare until we read it in English class this year, but now I can't get enough. And when I read that line in "Romeo and Juliet", I immediately thought of my favorite SW couple! Glad you liked it :)

EDIT- spelling mistakes :-0

15. QueenOfAces

QueenOfAces Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2003
    EDIT: Sorry about the triple post...the system told me there was an error and that the message was not accepted. OOPS! :)

Miska,

Great work! I particularly liked the idea behind the story--the names that they called each other served to both hide and express their feelings. Well done.

16. QueenOfAces

Jun 10, 2003
    Miska,

Great work! I particularly liked the idea behind the story--the names that they called each other served to both hide and express their feelings. Well done.

17. QueenOfAces

Jun 10, 2003
    Miska,

18. A-Windsor

A-Windsor Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    what a great little story! you're great at Han's POV!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.