main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga By Small Things--Author Note First Post

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Noelie, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    princess_of_naboo: Yes indeedy, our Mary Sue from you know where had made it here and even other places! The girl does travel! Of course I will Pm you!
    ~~~~~

My sons were perfect: a little early and tiny, but perfect.

I stood ready to take the form of my beautiful Maron as soon as he was separated from his mother, while we awaited the birth of his brother. I had never imagined a baby watching so intently, but he did, looking up at me as if I were a great puzzle to solve. I brought my face closer to smell the fresh wonderful scent of a newborn.

I looked to Noela, tired and worn, but happy, smiling as I bent down so that she could touch our son?s precious head, giving me opportunity to kiss her forehead as she gave the same caress to our son. It wasn?t long however before she was busy with the work of getting our second son safely to the world. It always amazed me what transpired to bring another life, and rarely was it simple but always beautiful.

Little Owyn came within moments and as Noela lay back in relief that it was finally over, they took and placed his small, blanket swaddled form on her chest where he promptly quit crying the minute they wrapped them both in a blanket to as much to get Noela to keep from shaking as much as comfort the baby.

They only took the babies from us for a few minutes to do the testing and a quick bath. I knew Noela?s eyes shadowed as we watched them take the blood for the midichlorian count, but Tani, quickly comforted both of us, with ?remember Qui-Gon has something in mind, so don?t worry about it.?

Qui-Gon. With that one name a veil of worry dropped in the room. There had been other times that Obi-Wan and he had walked into situations and it looked grim from our standpoint, but this time, there had been no news since the original reports just a few days ago of an accident killing representatives from the Chancellor and the disappearance of the young Queen of Naboo.

Noela reached for my hand and squeezed it saying, ?No we aren?t going to worry about it now. They have been in tighter spots than this before and been just fine. We have two beautiful sons my darling, and I think as soon as they let me go, we are going to go home and be a family.?

I didn?t need to be asked twice: to have the four people I loved best in the world together for whatever time the force granted us was my dearest wish.

~~~~

When we arrived home with the babies early the next morning, I quickly helped Noela get them settled in and then check with my business contacts on the dates that I was due to leave to ready my next project. Unfortunately I had waited so many weeks I really needed to leave the next week. I knew that Noela was going to need help with three growing children in the home, and so before I went, we would have to arrange something so that I would have a wife that would be in one piece when I returned.

I also knew the timing couldn?t have been worse from the standpoint of worrying about Maron and his test results and how soon the Jedi might be tempted to act.

In general I suppose you could say I had a bad feeling about everything that was going on in our lives at the moment. I wandered back out to where Noela was busy feeding one of our sons. I sat next to her putting my arm around her shoulders, and watched for just a moment at the scene that filled me with so much contentment.

She beamed up at me, Owyn being the hungry fellow keeping his mother from the nap I meant her to take. Maron was quietly sleeping in the double cradle we had set up in the living area. ?I am so glad to be home with all my men,? she whispered.

I said nothing, but I knew that all of her ?men? weren?t present, and even I felt the lack, and the worry, although I told myself it was because Qui-Gon still hadn?t found the time to come tell us his solution to what our options were with Maron. I held her closer, and smiled to reassure her that all was fine.

We sat in silence for a minute while Owyn finished eating, at which point of course Maron demanded that it was his turn to be

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

You just got the world's longest awww from someone who doesn't usually awwww but because I love my Liam so much...

3. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    That was really sweet.

Noela is relieved Qui-Gon is okay now, but he still has to go back to Naboo... [face_worried]

Thanks for the PM! I should just have you PM me for any Noela-Universe related posts. :p

4. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    That was very sweet indeed. I'm so sad to know, though, that Qui-Gon is going to check out soon, and Noela doesn't know it. [face_worried] I am glad that the babies came out safe and sound, and very adorable might I add. A very lovely chapter that I'm sure is going to be connected to something... less than happy, soon. *cries* I want my Qui-Gon to come back... Good job, Noelie! =D=

P.S. I don't suppose Ish would edit the very-deserving awwwww a little bit so it didn't spread out so far? [face_batting]

5. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006
    I loved reading the joy and pleasure of a father with his babies and watching his wife care for them. It is a beautifl bond between husband and wife.

6. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    Ish [:D], Yup I have a a real love blooming for our Liam that has to live in big shadows and feels the need to fill big boots, and is doing it so beautifully without understanding why. I hope he really starts coming into his own as events in the galaxy get more grim.

Princess_of_Naboo: yes things get a little sad soon, and then harder after that point. I just wanted our Liam to have an innocent time to enjoy the babies. :(

Luna_Nightshade Yes, I keep wanting that boy back to. Do you think we can sell George on the idea? He will appear a couple of times more before Naboo, because yes, he has the perfect plan for Liam, Noela and the babies. And he has a little history with Noela that won't be cleared up totally here, because I shall let Ish take that in her little letter series at some point, but it will be hinted at.

Araxie: I knew you would like that. You might recognize a couple of young men in those babies!

7. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    Nore Aidel is another creation of DarthIshtar that she has allowed me to borrow and insert into this story. Her story is being told in the story "Broken" in Before_The_Saga

~~~~
    A few days later, I arrived home from business and meetings to find that the Jedi had found time to stop by, which of course was not a surprise. What was a surprise was that Nore Aidel had accompanied them. She had stayed in contact with us after leaving our home a few months before, so she was well aware of the health issues we had facing us, and had left messages of encouragement on a regular basis, while telling us her challenges of actually dealing in a non-Jedi world.

She came to give me a quick embrace, ?Liam you must be so proud and relieved. The babies are beautiful!?

?Hello Nore, it is good to see you. Yes, I am proud of my children, we have been most blessed. Please sit.? I indicated the place that she had left while I went around to drop a kiss to my wife?s upturned, smiling face. As I settled in beside her I smiled at the sight of the warrior Jedi, each with the commission of holding one small baby.

As I considered the Jedi Master, something nudged against my brain, but I couldn?t make the thought come with any clarity. I knew something I didn?t know before, but I couldn?t put words to it. I shrugged. Nothing had been easy or usual about our relationship, and I couldn?t expect it now. Certainly I had enormous respect for the man, having a very personal reason to know full well his personal integrity.

He was handling Maron as if he took care of wee one?s day in and day out instead of wielding an instrument of such precision in self-defense and protection of innocents. ?Your sons had just finished eating when we arrived Liam, so Noela put me on tending duty as soon as she had the more mundane care accomplished. Young Nore is correct; they are beautiful, almost as beautiful as my Emmy. It is fortunate they took after Noela,? His eyes twinkled drolly at the self-deprecating joke against himself as much as it was me.

Everyone laughed. Noela?s hand reached into mine, and I nuzzled her cheek for a moment, just taking in her own wonderful scent that let me know I was home. I turned back to look at Qui-Gon, and that same meditative expression I noted before filled his eyes. So many times during the years I had seen it, and always felt a note of sympathy for the difficulty of his choices.

For a few minutes our conversation was filled with small talk, the Jedi filling in a few of the events of their adventures on Naboo and an out of the way dust trap known as Tatooine, but it was not long before Obi-Wan had to leave on personal errands.

We watched as Noela plied him with some pastries our cook was noted for, and how he waited patiently for the loving embrace he knew he would receive from Noela. For all his brave talk about attachments through the years, he had never been proof against her need to mother even grown men.

At his departure Qui-Gon broached the subject that had been on our minds for so long, the private worry we still had no permanent solution for. ?I think it is time that we talk about why I asked Nore Aidel to accompany us today.?

I nodded, encouraging him to continue, trusting that as always his care of Noela would find an answer to our dilemma.

?Liam when I met your sons in the force, it came to me that a soul as rich in the need to heal and help, would never fill the role of a warrior. He could indeed go to the temple and not go the course of the Jedi, and learn healing there, but I felt the force does not decree such a thing, and no, it has nothing to do with who their mother is.? I grinned at how quickly he knew to anticipate the first question

He continued, ?he certainly has a heart brave enough to learn to battle, taking after his father as he does, but I do not believe it is the right course for him.?

I was startled. I had no idea that he felt I was brave in any manner, thinking that character trait something he had almost sole claim to; I had only acted it for others to unde

8. princess_of_naboo

Nov 9, 2000
    :_|

Really great update, even though it ended so sadly. I really wonder what the second letter said...

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    NOELIE! YOU DON'T DO THAT TO ME AT WORK! I AM SITTING HERE, TERRIFIED THAT SOMEONE WILL CALL IN AND FIND ME CHOKED UP! Darn you for it being beautiful!

10. Araxie

Mar 6, 2006
    Okay I tried to find a smilie with tears but no go. Very nice and very sad. You are getting as good as Ish and leaving those endings that make me want some more!

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
  12. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    I don't know how I missed this! :oops:

The year my sons were born was a time that our galaxy would look back on and remember in that ?where were you when? sort of way that marks events that mark the soul.

Wonderful opening!

I loved the craziness of Noela's family coming to visit. It's especially great to see that Mere's being married hasn't changed her any! :D

Of all the beauty in this place one was brighter and more compelling than any other for me, my Noela, but something had her frozen, transfixed as if she were shadowed. Two souls stood by her, one seemingly trying to assist her, the other watching carefully, his love for his two charges showing in his action to stand as their protector.

I really, really loved this whole sequence. [face_love]

I'm so glad they don't have to give up their babies! The scene with Qui-Gon visiting for the last time was so lovely. But...but then he had to go and die! Poor Noela! :_|

Great work, Noelie! =D=

13. Luna_Nightshade

Jan 25, 2006
    :_|

I expected it, I knew it was coming... but :_| Not Qui-Gon! No!

I am very happy, however, that Qui-Gon seems to have left somewhat of a Plan B to protect Noela and the wee ones. I'm still afraid for them, though. The last meeting with Qui-Gon and the family was heartbreaking, and I love that Qui-Gon left Liam a letter. He needed it.

Wonderful job... still sniffling. *sniffle* Qui-Gon...

=D=

14. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    Princess_of_Naboo: I know, I was going to try and break it up and attempt to put off doing it for another week, but then I knew I would probably just keep trying to put off having Qui-Gon die. :( Thanks for coming to read. I really was in the middle of getting the link to send you the PM when I noticed you had already responded.

So sorry Ish! But honestly you can blame George. Of course I still can't read As Time Goes By at work(which in IMHO is still the best work in all of the Noela universe), without having the same thing happen!

Araxie! Thank you so much sweetie! Ish and I still wish you would write something here... write something with Tani!

Amidalachick: Well however you did it you found the story :) Yup.. poor Noela. Lucky Noela.. she still has Liam! I don't know what she would do without him.

Luna_Nightshade: Yeah. we all knew it was coming. I always still do during the Phantom Menace and I still sit saying curse words to the great flanneled one for it! Yes, he left plan B, thanks to Ish, but enter rough spots early...[face_worried]

Thanks for reading- I really appreciate it.

15. Araxie

Mar 6, 2006
    Okay so I was just silly the other day and didn't see the face crying when I looked at the chart. [face_blush]
    I'm glad to see you updated the title, I hope it helps.
    I think you need to give me background that you have on Tani, maybe I could go with that. :)
    You two are stil the much more creative writers here!

16. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    Even with frantic and determined planning, I was not able to make it back to my family until a full week later. I arrived long after sunset, quietly letting myself through our security system.

My family had probably long retired officially, but I could see a light from underneath nursery door. First I checked my little Emarli, straightening the covers and setting the present I always brought home for her on the little table. Carefully I brushed back the golden curls, and planted a kiss on her forehead.

I went into the nursery expecting to see Noela, but was surprised to see Nore tenderly rocking Owyn to sleep. He always tended to like being held to get to sleep; Maron preferred to stretch out in his own space to do the same thing.

?Liam! Noela didn?t say that you were expected today,? she whispered.

?No, our communications were spotty after?? I couldn?t say it even now, my heart leaden with the same sick feeling since the call where Noela told me of our loss.

Nore bent her head, tears glistening at the corners of her eyes, ?Yes, even now it doesn?t seem real. The Jedi I know are shaken, the rumors of the Zabrak being a Sith?

?Why? He is dead, and surely that would be an end of it.?

Nore seemed to ponder on the question for a minute as if to decide what to tell me, as if I would scoff at what she was ready to tell me.

?We, rather the Jedi thought that once before, and made a mistake. We don?t know enough anymore, as it is all so long ago. All I know is what they told me, that where there is one there is likely another, and no one knows whether the man killed was a Master or an apprentice.?

?You mean like the Jedi?? I was confused, as it didn?t seem any different than the Jedi.

Nore got up with the quietly slumbering Owyn and placed him next to his brother. I reached in and caressed each downy head before I followed Nore out to the hallway.

She went to living area, going to the large window to watch the speeder lights zooming through the night skies. ?I wish I could tell you more Liam, but I wasn?t a Jedi that did a great deal of study of ancient thought and systems. What I know is that the council is apparently concerned that there is another, and that whatever his position in the prior relationship, the point is that there is Sith, and the ancient enemy of the Jedi are not dead.?

I reached a hand to her shoulder and gave it a squeeze as I looked down at her.

A little sob escaped her throat, ?So like Qui-Gon.?

?Sorry?? I was startled.

?Nothing Liam, don?t worry. I think I am going to get some more sleep. Since you are home, please do not worry about the children tonight. I will take care of them. I think Noela and you will need the time.? She smiled shyly at me.

I nodded with a gentle grin, ?Thank you Nore. If it does get to be too much for you, please let us know.?

She indicated her agreement, but I knew that it would take something major before she would allow anything to interrupt us this night.

~~~~

I entered the moonlit bedroom that was our refuge when we were in Coruscant. My wife was in the center of the bed that we had obtained when we first were together to take care of my height, but even then it was funny how often she could seem to take so much space up, even as small she was

Her face was buried in my pillow, in a position I had grown used to seeing when I wasn?t there. She told me that it was because I didn?t seem so far away if she could still breathe my scent in the sheets and the pillows. I moved to stow my luggage in the old fashioned walk in closet, and quickly shrugged out of my clothing,

I slid in between the sheets moving the pillow, which of course caused Noela to gasp with surprise and then throw her arms around my neck.

?I take it that you are glad to see me, Noe.? I smiled into her hair.

?You should have told me! I would have been up like a good wife.?

I drew her closer, ?I don?t know sweetie. I think that this is a perfect way to come home.? I began to kiss her tenderly

It was a long time before we actually

17. princess_of_naboo

Nov 9, 2000
    Wonderful update!

Noela thought it was a one sided love with Qui-Gon? How sad. Really bittersweet that he told her in the letter at the end.

You've really written a moving story here. I swear it makes me want to cry while reading it at times. I love how it's all from Liam's POV too.

I'm glad Obi-Wan got to visit them. Poor boy.

An unexpected guest and unsettling guest? My guess is the brand new Supreme Chancellor.

Thank you for the PM. [:D]

18. Luna_Nightshade

Jan 25, 2006
    Indeed, wonderful update. *sigh* You really did kill Qui-Gon... or, well, let him die... I was still holding out vague hope, I suppose. Anyway. I loved the reunion between Liam and Noela. And Noela thought it was all her? I guess that letter really showed her, huh? I'm glad she at least got the opportunity to know that. And I loved the party, and to see wee Anakin show up. If only they knew... Obi-Wan sounds so unbelievably miserable. *sigh* I love my Obi-Wan and wish I could give him a hug. I love how Anakin was able to prove again how Qui-Gon loved Noela in that adorable, cutesy little kid way. And this unexpected visitor? Yup, my money is on Palpatine. Don't ask me why Palpatine would be coming, but that is where I am. Or maybe Yoda. But I don't think Yoda would be unsettling. Xanatos? Does Xanatos know about Noela? Hmm... Meditate on this, I will. =D= Wonderful as always.

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Darn you! You made me very bittersweet in this post and I want that second message!

20. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    Well then ... write it! :) I didn't want to force your hand with Love Qui-Gon

Wonderful update!

Noela thought it was a one sided love with Qui-Gon?
    Yes Princess_of_Naboo, there are two things I see as holding them to each other dearly and not rocking that balance. His sense of honor and integrity and her explanation to herself that "He is just not into me that way." What happens should that balance tip either way? well I suppose that is a topic fo an AU to our AU, but neither of us are rushing there yet.

I do love Liam however, and writing from his viewpoint is interesting, and a bit challenging because I want Liam to be every bit the strong and good man that Qui-Gon is. Thank you again!

Luna_Nightshade: I know I would love to do something where Qui-Gon lives, which is theo nly just and right end IMHO, but then of course I wouldn't want him alive just to have to go through the purges. I am not necessarily attached to all those Jedi we see die in ROTS, and I cried buckets. I hate it that Obi-Wan, noble knight is out there in a desert I would really hate Qui-Gon to have to face either ignoble end. At least this way he died "on his feet" so to speak, doing what he was so good at..

Anyway off the soap-box, thanks so much for reading! I can't tell you how much it means to me!

21. Araxie

Mar 6, 2006
    You are doing so beautifully at this. I love reading Liam's point of view. I loved Obi-Wan and Anakin. I particularly liked them not wanting to leave, how much of that is Obi-Wan knowing he was in a place where Qui-Gon was loved as so he could grieve just a bit among friends. It would also let Anakin see how much the man was loved by others not of the Jedi order. I also like your cliff hanger. I can guess because you have told me before. My lips are sealed, no one will drag it from me. zipppppppp [face_shhh]

22. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    Thank you Araxie.. I know how busy you all are to come and read. I am glad you are liking the result!

23. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    The guests that were still with us watched with hushed attention as the Beram our valet, announced the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic: Palpatine and his retinue.

Noela slipped a hand through my arm as I started forward to greet our honored guests. Noela?s contacts were many and varied, and as Senator Palpatine we had certainly many occasions to have contact with the gentleman. In the past it had been a source of great humor between us, because on the first occasions of a state ball, he had first mistaken me for Qui-Gon and then dismissed me as thoroughly frivolous.

?Ah, and here is the lady that whose presence we miss so greatly in our government halls, Senator Emeritus Ovorp!? He declared.

?Senator Emeritus Senoe?Chancellor, ? My wife declared somewhat archly. I was certainly enjoying a front row seat for an old political rivalry, one that Noela was always irritated she could never quite get the best of, like he was playing everyone like puppets.

?Ah, yes of course my dear Madame Senoe. I apologize to you sir.? The incline of his head was gracious and elegant.

I decided it was time to break in with my part in our little act. ?Senator Palpatine, allow me to get you some wine, come this way and meet our guests. My darling,? I placed an arm around my wife?s waist, taking the Chancellor?s somewhat hesitant arm with my other, and guiding us to where we had several fine wines available for our guests.

?Chancellor, what can I get you? We can?t have such an honored guest go away complaining we didn?t take care of you, now can we?? Noela gave me a grin, enjoying that I was feeling in my element, and wandered away to the cradle to pick up Maron, as Nore had Owyn,

?No, thank you, I am fine. I just came to pay honor to Senator Senoe?s sons.? Palpatine explained.

?Our sons are beautiful as you can see,? as I took Owyn from Nore?s arms. He regarded the child in my arms for a minute and with a slight smile, moved to where Noela was holding Maron.

He seemed to want to take the child, but Noela was not handing Maron over. ?Ah, yes I can see where this child takes a great deal after his father.? His smile increased, and he reached to hold a small hand.

?Both of our sons are like Liam, Chancellor.? Noela seemed firm, telling him something in a private conversation that only they understood, even with a crowd around them.

?Of course, my dear, as you say.? He turned to me, ?I think I might be interested in some refreshment after all.?
    While Noela?s face was carefully gracious, I could see that the warmth hadn?t reached her eyes. I gave Owyn back to Nore and kissed Noe?s forehead before I led the Chancellor to the table.

?Your wife has always been one of the loveliest persons in my acquaintance.? The Chancellor complimented.

Always one to enjoy hearing my feelings of Noe reflected in someone else, I decided that he couldn?t be all bad. It just had to be one of those rare personality clashes that we all have with someone in our lives, which kept Noela from liking this man. ?Indeed Chancellor, she is a wonderful woman,? I watched as she was snuggling her nose against the downy head of little Maron.

It appeared that the Jedi were now taking their leave, and I excused myself momentarily from our distinguished guest to bid my farewells. We had the promise of both young men that they would come and spend time on Alderaan with us anytime that they could.

Obi-Wan had apparently decided to drop all pretense that he was not as attached to Noela as his master had been, folding her in his arms, and holding her there while a tear or two dropped down his cheeks, little Maron, squeezed in between them. He let go before the baby complained and bent to gently kiss the little face that seemed to be struggling to see him properly, in that precious shortsighted newborn way.

Anakin waited patiently for his own dose of mothering. I knew that he would be missing it even more having had it all his life, as opposed to Obi-Wan who never really knew, although he had kindness and consideration growing u

24. princess_of_naboo

Nov 9, 2000
    Stay away from their sons, Palpatine! I'm curious if he is interested in their sons because he senses something, if he's suspects that they're really Qui-Gon's (they did make a big point of saying they were Liam's to him), or if he is just plain suspicious in general.

Great update, Noelie! Thank you for the PM.

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Palpy visiting the Senoes and their force-sensitive son creeps the heck out of me! Awesome post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.