Saga By Small Things - Update 07/16/2007

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Noelie, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Noelie Jedi Master

star 4
    Title: By Small Things
    Author: Noelie
    Characters: Both Canon and OC's. Liam and Noela Senoe are DarthIshtar's but she allows me to share. Canon of course are George's
    Information: Yes I did start this before. There was a few problematic points in the prior version that I believe have been worked out both from the standpoint of Noela's history with Jedi and with where this story was headed. Ish tells me of projects she started before that she hated so redid. I won't feel so bad. The time frame will cover just prior to TPM to start and then go forward. Liam is starting his journal just after order 66. All of the story to this point is somewhat expository and won't get to the transmission itself for sometime.

Thanks ahead for anyone that followed this before and willing to do so again!
    ~~~

Journal: Liam Senoe
    Designation: Personal

When I met my darling wife, I knew that life would never be commonplace or even simple. What I did not count on is that my family would be part of the stage of events so chilling that I would naturally wish that we could all be transported to another time and place.

Today I received a transmission that informed me that I would have no calm, quiet retirement spending the rest of my days loving Noe and caring for my children. I married Noela knowing that she was brilliant at diplomacy and that she understood points of law and politics as well as any of the cutthroat lawyers I had ever dealt with in my long career. She understood the dangers that Palpatine presented even if she is appalled at the realization that she underestimated Palpatine's craving for power and his ability to achieve it.

None of us could have seen that the slaughter of her oldest friend at the hands of an unknown assailant on the world of Naboo was just the beginning salvo of a long war against the Jedi and other beings that were force-sensitive.The same force-sensitive number that includes my son.

The hated word Sith became part of not just our vocabulary but our lives once again on that day, although at first none of us recognized the threat. The Jedi themselves treated it as a law-enforcement investigation and not the true war it was. The enemy hid right beneath all our collective noses.

I am law-abiding man, and I believed the cooperation with instituted policies a good thing, and indeed I am still of a mind that with a good, moral people that is truth. My mistake was projecting the good of the politicians I personally know such my Noela, Bail Organa and others onto all.

When our trouble first began Noe and I took it as our own personal problem and while the answers we found helped others, that was our main motivation from the beginning. Today our answers will have to serve more than our own concerns. Lives will depend on it.

I do not hesitate to state that I am afraid. We have no special power to defeat the monster. I also admit that if it were not for Maron I might not have the courage to face the future. If we could hide his talent I might take that path to keep safe only those I love. There is no hiding. The enemy knew of Maron's existance even before his birth.

I am left with that other truth: Tyranny is only possible if good men do nothing.

My course is set.
  2. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    What a great beginning!

I am left with that other truth: Tyranny is only possible if good men do nothing.

My course is set.

I can't wait to see where take this!

3. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    The hated word Sith became part of not just our vocabulary but our lives once again on that day, although at first none of us recognized the threat. The Jedi themselves treated it as a law-enforcement investigation and not the true war it was. The enemy hid right beneath all our collective noses.

I am law-abiding man, and I believed the cooperation with instituted policies a good thing, and indeed I am still of a mind that with a good, moral people that is truth. My mistake was projecting the good of the politicians I personally know such my Noela, Bail Organa and others onto all.

I love this whole moral/political ethos that you've built into it. And yay for starting it again!
  4. Araxie Force Ghost

star 3
    I am glad you are looking at this. I still maintain that BST was one of the most ignored, underated Jewels in the fanfiction universe. Liam is an amazingly rich character. Bravo for trying it again!
  5. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    I second this. The Noela-verse is a very rich and full environment. Excellent beginning, here. Please PM me when you continue, dudette. :)=D=
  6. Noelie Jedi Master

star 4
    Valairy_Scot: I hope you like where this will go. I hope to guide it the direction I hope for. Let's just say I have noticed that whatever higher being a person might attribute it to, I have noticed that genocides are never complete. Not even for a evil being like Palpatine.

Ish: I am glad you like this thing. I hope you enjoy the rewrite. The general direction of course will be the same. I hope the writing is a bit more "mature."

Araxie: I am glad you think so. You are a wonderful sister and support!

RK_Striker: Will do, Dude!

***I forgot to add that some of this story will assume knowledge from Darth Ishtar's story in Before the Saga: Broken. If you wish to understand the background about the unnamed Jedi Master is staying with the Senoe's and also why Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan show up at this time to also stay with them on Alderaan. Thanks!****

~~~~

The year my sons were born was a time that our galaxy would look back on and remember in that â??where were you whenâ?? sort of way that marks events that mark the soul.

I had known many wonderful attractive women during my life; indeed without sounding too pompous, in my career as an actor, meeting beautiful companions wasnâ??t ever a problem. I also felt it strange for someone that accepted the axiom that there was more than one right person, I never found an exact match before Noela. I had relationships but they just didnâ??t come to the full fruition of marriage and family until she quietly hurtled into my life by minding her own business one sunny afternoon in Dexâ??s Diner. To add to her many attractive qualities she came Attached complete with two Jedi. Yes, I put that aspect in the positive column.

We found each other in the poignant end years of the Grand Republic and rather later than either of us might have wished. It is said that the force always has a plan. It is equally said that sometimes we would beg the force to find another plan.

We were still well within the age of having children due to the advances of medical care at that time which allowed women to put off child-bearing to their late forties and fifties. This however also meant that some risks were higher and Noela and I had already learned the heartbreak of losing a daughter before she could count a full day of life. We felt ourselves blessed when our next child was born at term, healthy and beautiful.

We wanted other children to follow but such hopes faded, particularly after several visits to fertility experts. The final conclusion was that the damage done to her body in an incident before we met was just too great and that she was not capable of another successful pregnancy. Therefore it became as a bit of a shock when Noela discovered she was pregnant once again.

Our first indication that something wonderful, unique and disquieting had happened was my wife waking with a gasp and sitting up with a start, breaking the sleepy embrace I kept her wrapped in.

â??Noe, sweetie? What is wrong? I didnâ??t hear anything.â?? I half mumbled, sleep still fogging my brain.

Her hand caressed my arm, â??I am sorry, love, I donâ??t think there is anything wrong, I just felt somethingâ?¦touch my mind.â??

I was now awake, realizing that she had used that term before in speaking about her few force experiences with her Jedi. We had a Jedi Master staying with us at the time, but I saw no reason that particular Master would be trying to communicate with my force-blind wife.

That left the only Jedi I knew for certain had ever had such contact with Noela; Qui-Gon. He was expected sometime soon but wasn't on Alderaan yet as far as I knew.

â??Qui-Gon canâ??t do that from far away can he?â?? I rubbed my face with my hands to banish the last vestiges of sleep from my eyes.

â??Liam, it wasnâ??t him, it didnâ??t haveâ?¦â?? she stopped to think for a minute. â??It wasnâ??t any trained Jedi, it was less focused, and there was no discipline to the feeling.â??

I pulled her closer to my chest, my hands combing through her mass of hair.
  7. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    I liked the whole thing - couldn't figure out what part I liked best to quote back at you. I got the Force-sensitive kid(s) right away!

So funny that Qui and his Living Force missed the first pregnancy.
  8. BrentusofGath Jedi Master

star 4
    "Qui-Gon isn't here, and Qui-Gon isn't this child's parent." Panic always made my wife testy.

[face_mischief]

[face_laugh]

Doesn't it do that to all women? ;)

I like what I'm reading so far! Keep it up. :)

EDIT: Might I enquire about a pm when you update? [face_batting]
  9. Araxie Force Ghost

star 3
    The year my sons were born was a time that our galaxy would look back on and remember in that ?where were you when? sort of way that marks events that mark the soul.

I always liked how you used this line. It really is a good lead in.
  10. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Well, Force-sensitive twins. A joyous occasion indeed... if the Jedi weren't isolated baby-snatchers. ;) :p

Loved Noela and Liam in the first scene, too.[face_love][face_love] yes, interrupt his sleep a bit more! Perfect fade-out, too.
  11. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    You have me hooked in yet another area of the Noelaverse. I like Liam. Ihave to admit your prologue hooked me. I want to see Liam the rebel agent.

This post was nice as well. It fit perfectly into the other material I've reasd on your OCs.

Jedi twins? Uh-oh.

Looking forward to more...
  12. BrentusofGath Jedi Master

star 4
  13. Noelie Jedi Master

star 4
    BrentusofGath: Yes panic often does that. I am glad at least it entertained you. I just felt bad for poor Liam! Yes I am PM you :)

Araxie: I am glad you are here and that you like that line. I think that is why I kept it!

RK_Stryker: I like the Liam/Noela romance angle because it is the one place Ish allows a free hand :) In fact I have to fill a certain quota of Liela for her.

Brodiew: Wow, I had no idea until I came in here to start the work of getting the next post up that you came and visited! I am glad you like Liam. We had been talking the other day that we have found most of the guys not being too sure about him. The girls we have reading like him fine.. quite well in fact, but somehow I wasn't getting just how cool he is communicated across that line. I hope I can get better at it.

Valairy_Scot: I am glad you liked it. Thank you! I have a little way to go to match your abilities. With a good cheering section I will make it. :) Oh. and the story of Noela announcing her first pregnancy is a vig by Ish. Qui-Gon just tends to want Noela to always remain the same. Hence Obi-Wan catching on,and Qui-Gon being clueless.

extra note to BrentusofGath: Thank you for the extra "bump". It was so kind!

~~~~

My first priority was safely moving my little family back to Coruscant.

If my career had not still demanded my frequent absence from home,given any other circumstance Noela was more than capable to manage our home with the help of our household staff, but her complications made it far more difficult. I wanted her family close by.

She would usually tease me that I just didn't want our children to be Alderaanian, but Coruscanti like their father.

Moving to Coruscant meant that Tani could take a hands-on approach to caring for Noela and the babies. The very first thing she did was retest Noela to see if there were anyway that we could tell the ability of either one of the babies. It was inconclusive yet again, because Noela's result had it's own changes over the years. Never enough for true sensitivity her numbers had increased by a small amount. We could only imagine it had to do with her frequent contact with those with great sensitivity to the force.

When we first got her moved back to Coruscant she was so busy with visits from her sisters and other friends, all making sure I was treating her properly, she slept well. She would only add it was always better when I was home to be sleeping in our bed than when I was away. Needless to say, I didn't find that too difficult to understand. I didn't sleep well without her either.

We made the decision to refrain from mentioning the other worry to the other family members. At the time we made that decision Noela was doing very well.

When the touching of her mind started up again she tried at first to hide it from me. Her dreams seemed to be affected, creating events that never happened. The worst of them usually had to do with losing my love, an event that just couldn't happen.

As the circles under eyes grew and her body began rounding from the twins I couldn't help but worry.

As it was a given that her sisters were at least as protective as I was, it didn't take long for Mere to tire of not being told what was causing such fear in our household.

She called a family meeting.

~~~

I do have to explain that a 'family meeting' to Mere included all adult members, plenty of food and at least two Jedi.

It came as no surprise that one day in Noela's sixth month I opened my front door on a lazy afternoon to find a veritable mob all waiting and burdened with food.

Even the Jedi were there with what looked suspiciously like take out from Dex's. I decided that might be something that the two Jedi and I went into the breakfast nook to eat so that Noe wouldn't catch sight of it, or smell it. It would give us sometime to talk. When I looked at Qui-Gon I surmised that was the plan.

I bent to kiss my sisters-in-law as they passed through the door. "And to what do we owe this occasion?"
  14. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Okay, before I hit the hay...

Liam's such a sweetheart, there, I'll admit. getting Noela to Coruscant and all that. :) LOL at Mere's idea of a small meeting. Two Jedi? Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon? Coolness!

Yes, Liam. You are lucky, there. ;) Emarli's cute with Qui-Gon, there. And nice for him to calm them down. *Shakes head* That stupid rule the Jedi had... ANd oh, no!

Great post, dudette. :) And such a cliffie, too. Can't wait for more.
  15. obsessedwithSW Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't! We all stood around for years waiting for you to get a clue that the paranoia about attachments was making my sister'a life difficult, and about the point I was ready to brain you over that, the force was kind enough to provide Liam, so at least she could have the family she richly deserved to have. But you aren't happy with that, you want her baby!"

Noela was once involved with Qui-Gon? How very interesting. I love your style of writing and your voice Noelie. If you have a pm list would you include me?
  16. Araxie Force Ghost

star 3
    I like how you have added Mere's husband to the cast of characters! That was a nice addition, and of course I enjoy how you continue with Obi-Wan's sensitivity with the little one. That is such a nice touch to see how sweet he is with children.

17. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    She called a family meeting.

~~~

I do have to explain that a 'family meeting' to Mere included all adult members, plenty of food and at least two Jedi.

It came as no surprise that one day in Noela's sixth month I opened my front door on a lazy afternoon to find a veritable mob all waiting and burdened with food.

Even the Jedi were there with what looked suspiciously like take out from Dex's. I decided that might be something that the two Jedi and I went into the breakfast nook to eat so that Noe wouldn't catch sight of it, or smell it. It would give us sometime to talk. When I looked at Qui-Gon I surmised that was the plan.
    [face_love]

I come from a very small family, but I know of families like that (well, no Jedi involved). I love this, and how protective the sister is feeling, too.

But what is happening now? Update soon.
  18. NerdWOMAN Jedi Knight

star 2
    Sorry I got in here late in the game...

Wow!! What a great story. =D= =D=

It drew me in from the beginning!

Both women were crying and at first I thought Noela doubling over was grief, but in a moment I knew something else was wrong.
    "Tani!" I cried as I moved to crouch down beside my wife.

Can't wait to see what happens next!! I hope she's okay. [face_worried]

19. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    The more I get to know this family, the more post like this pull at my heart. A story like this could be written, cold, without all the history, but with history, its makes the fic richer and deeper. Liam and Noela's choices become mine and the looming Empire and the destruction of the Jedi loom ever present in my mind. That also adds tension, as I'm sure you know.

Mere getting frustrated and attacking Qui-Gon is only evidence of the tension created by the possibility of Jedi children.

Keep me updated.
  20. Noelie Jedi Master

star 4
    RK_Striker: LOL I know you take good natured teasing about Liam Senoe. Yup he is a sweetheart. Yes he is lucky but then so is his family so it works out well.

Qui-Gon's love of Emarli is a fun thing for me. Good thing that was an Ish intention :) Yes that rule about Attachment still stinks big time.

ObsessedwithSW
    : Yes she was "involved" In a manner of speaking, meaning there is a great deal of love of many types there, there is also no .. well commitment type of Attachment. Like those of us that have been through real life the truth is more complex than just a love affair, if that makes any sense. Thank you for the compliment and thank you for reading! It is a great treat to see a new face

Araxie: Well that is a good place for him. Good thing the Ovorp women attract calm and collected men isn't it? :)

Valairy_Scot
    : The fun part of creating Noela was giving her a grandmother, parents and sisters. It sort of grounded her into being a normal person in my mind so past Ish's planning.. I just added them :) hehe. I love my family events. There tend to be a lot of us now, and sometimes it is amazingly busy and noisy, but wonderful. The Jedi just sort of complement that.

Nerdwoman: I am glad you found this story!

You should see what is going on soon. Thank you @};-

Brodiew
    : You are completely right that the Empire and some of the trial and error of Palpatine to work his plan on so many levels will have a great affect on what happens to this family. It won't matter where their child is, he will be in danger. That is a given fact. How they deal with that is what creates greatness of soul or the average fear and avoidance of many of us. I will. Thank you :)

21. Noelie Jedi Master

star 4
    Leaving the scene of upset sisters, bemused Jedi and brothers-in-law confused behind me, I reached the quiet of our room with Noela safely in my arms. She seemed almost insensible by the time I laid her on our bed for Tani to perform an examination.

?Noela,? Tani sounded brusque as she tried to get Noela's attention. ?Noela, I need to know what you are feeling.?

I pulled a chair up beside the bed and began to rub her hands and watched Tani as her hands began a systematic examination of Noela?s extended abdomen, making certain of the position of the babies so that she could find a heart rate for each. Tani was very much into old-fashioned methods and so used a very curious piece of equipment that almost had the appearance of a trumpet attached to tubing.

Noela only response was a low moan. I felt my heart jump into my throat as I lifted worried eyes to my sister-in-law.

?Noela I need to know if are you having contractions.? Tani?s? tone was firm; so much so that she seemed to be getting my wife?s attention.

?No not, but pain in my head, no heart?? she gasped out her answer, ?no, that?s not right, pain in my soul.?

To say that Tani and I were confused was an understatement. The only thing I knew for sure that was causing her emotional upset was worry for the babies. Tani's brow was wrinkled and she was biting her lower lip in concentration. Noela seemed to sink deeper into whatever spell she was under. I held onto her hand tighter.

?Liam, has she ever felt this much pain before that I am not aware of?? Her hands were moving deftly with her instruments as she spoke.

?Not that I know of since little Mere.? I shook my head, remembering the excruciating anguish of that day.

Tani pulled an electronic monitor from her bag and attached a lead to Noela's abdomen, and continued to scowl as she studied the information that began to flash onto the small screen. After a few minutes she blinked her eyes and gave a little shake to her head as if she was having a hard time believing what she was seeing.

"What is it Tani? Please if you know something tell me what to do!"

She glanced at me, and then came over to place a hand on my shoulder. "Honestly I am not sure what I can do. I think I know the problem, but it might be out of my ability to actually do something about it."

"What are you saying? There has to be something that can be done. Maybe you just missed something." My voice sounded high-pitched an unnatural to my ears. I knew I was going to have to calm down or my family, and yet at that very moment it was beyond me. Tani seemed to be saying it was hopeless.

"No my dear brother, you don't understand." She crouched down beside me, and hugged me. "It isn't hopeless but what I think I see is something I think can be helped but not by me."

"Tell me then. What should I do, and who do you think can help?"

She pulled her datapad where I could see it. It was confusing, as I understood very little of what was on the screen. "Here this is the test that interests me the most. It is the scale we use when we are dealing species that have high level's of psychic ability. For instance here is an old scan of a good friend. Normally of course I wouldn't show you but I don't think he will mind when we talk to him about it and it does give you a good idea of what it means in Noela's scan result."

I knew that on occasion rather than see the temple Healers, Qui-Gon would use getting hurt as a reason to go visit Tani and her husband. I wasn't surprised to see she had a scan there. What was amazing was that in the spike she was showing me on Noela's screen was almost as high as his.

"The babies are reacting using the force. The question we have to now ask is why."

I tried thinking for a moment or two but finally shook my head in surrender. I didn't understand what truly was wrong or how anyone could help.

?I have no idea, I know little more about the force than I did when I married Noela, and she came complete with Jedi.? Noela shifted in the bed off of her back and onto her side, her hair under
  22. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Very nice intensity there and interesting development.
  23. Araxie Force Ghost

star 3
    I love the intensity of that scene and the beauty of it as well in your trying to describe the veiw of the force not normally witnessed.
  24. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Liked the description of the stethoscope, there. :) Very GFFA-ish. I like Noela and Liam's way of dealing with disagreements. I remember that vision Liam nad from before. Very... surreal. And yes, Liam. He is a remarkable man.
  25. BrentusofGath Jedi Master

star 4
    Very good updates. Nice descriptive work in the netherworld of the Force. Her kid sounds dangerous, since he's still so young he's unable to things the right way.

I hope Qui-Gon can do whatever it is he wants to do to keep the kid out of the Creche. :D
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.