main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga By Small Things - Update 07/16/2007

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Noelie, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Excellent update! I really liked the Jedi mind meld. It was interesting to see inside...the Force?

I also enjoyed Liam narration and the genuine friendship he extends to Qui-Gon.

What's next?

2. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Bet you thought you?d never see me here, huh? :p

I just got caught up and I?m looking forward to reading more. I like the family you?ve created and they are all well-drawn characters. I love the idea of seeing the fall of the Republic through their eyes.

I really enjoyed this last post, in particular?the tension you created with Noela was superb.

Please add me to your PM list, if you have one. I may be slow about responding, but I?ll be reading. :)

3. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005

She wrapped her arms around my neck, "Oh my dear brother Liam, I won?t lie to you and tell you she doesn?t love him, but you are the man of her heart. He never took that place; whether he could or couldn?t isn?t the issue. The point is that he didn?t, and you have done nothing since but try to measure up to a giant that doesn?t exist. Do yourself a favor and excise that sith from your soul."

Poor Liam. To have such doubts- what a ackward situation this is an what a big heart Liam has to accept it.

4. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    DarthIshtar: It can be intense at times. Thanks for stopping by what you already sort of know from before :)

Araxie: Yes it was a lovely place, and perhaps not Canon thinking so to speak. Just call it Noelie's take on things. Thanks for the support sis!

RK_Stryker: Most people have not had a chance to see the fetoscopes that home birth midwives and doctors that like the old ways will use. It has an even longer bell than the regular stethoscope. Tani is using something very like that

Yes I like Noela and Liam's way of solving fights too. Blame Araxie, that is her idea :)

BrentusofGath: You know Qui-Gon. Something is sure to turn up. :) Thanks for reading.

Brodiew: Anything that has power and doesn't know how to use it can be a little dangerous, I agree. :) Yes my take on things ia a little different. Yes I will get to where Liam starts to form an underground of sorts. Sorry that might be a little slow going.

Souderwan: Yes a look at events from the people who end just as affected as the Jedi would be good to hear from. I am sure there are a myriad of stories out there of how life changed for people all over the galaxy after their best protectors were killed or on the run, and a powerful Emperor and his leashed apprentice took over. I will let you know. Thanks!

ObsessedwithSW: Yes Liam Senoe has a generous heart and a buoyant spirit. To say that the relationship are a little complicated are an under-statement but all of them keep working on it. Thanks for reading!

PM List as I have it

ObsessedwithSW
    Araxie
    Rk_Stryker
    BrodieW
    Souderwan
    DarthIshtar
    BrentusofGath

Just let me know if you really don't want the reminder :)

~~~~~

Qui-Gon turned to me as I entered the living area, where he stood watching the traffic lanes. His eyebrows raised as I handed him a glass of Chandrilan Brandy.

"You're breaking out the expensive liquor now. Either you want to prime me for a serious talk, we are celebrating you have two healthy sons, or it is a convenient moment that your wife is too worn to worry over us getting drunk."

I flashed a tired grin in response and then took a long whiff of the brandy to catch the scent.

I stared for a long time into the glass before I asked the question foremost in my mind.

"What have you learned about my sons, and how much should I worry before they arrive?"

There was a long pause while I nervously swirled my brandy around to warm it further. I glanced over to see him taking a sip to taste, his eyes seeming to search horizon.

"Liam all of this is still in the realm of guess work. I won't pretend with you that there will not pressure to give your child up for Jedi training. I am fairly certain that at least one of your sons has the ability."

"After what just happened I can't help but think that the Jedi and Obi-Wan are right. There are special needs that neither Noe and I will have any idea about." I set my drink down on a table as I sat heavily on the couch.

Qui-Gon drew a deep breath, "Liam I can hardly claim to be an impartial judge and many on the council will question my judgment, but I can't imagine a better home for any child than with Noela and you. I know it is hard to trust at this point but, between her history with the Jedi in general and the inquiry I have sent out, your children will have any help that they need should it be both of them."

I shrugged trying to pretend I was calmer than I actually felt. "I realized today as you came in and so quietly did something I don't understand, that I know so little. How did you take me to that place?"

"What do you mean by that place?" There was a frown of concentration on his face. He really didn't know what I meant.

"Earlier with Noela, when you went in to see if you could communicate with the babies. It was a wonderful place you took me to. I saw things I had never dreamed of, and Noela, my sons and you were there."

He shook his head vehemently, "I saw nothing like that. I knew you were present in the force and yes I

5. NerdWOMAN

NerdWOMAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2005
    Nice Post! Hope Qui-Gon's okay!

She of course would retort with the intelligent and grown up answer of sticking her tongue out at me, and then coyly asked if we were having an argument.

They are so cute together.

Add me to the PM list:)

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Naboo! If this is canon, it can't be good...oh dear.

7. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Loved the image of Qui-Gon and Liam in the beginning, talking there. :) You wrote them very well, as well as Liam with Noela, in bed. And uh, oh... look like TPM is starting up... [face_plain][face_worried]:_|

8. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006
    I it just dawned on me that Liams vision was one of the things that prompted Qui-Gon to ponder even more the possibility of retaining identity after death. Good job incorporating that idea!

9. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Wonderful. Everything about this post is so genuine and heartfelt. There is worry and wonder, a cautious joy, and unconditional love. From Liam's discussion with Qui-Gon to his own introspection and contentment, this post satisifies as well as moving the story forward. What will Liam do now. Order 66 is still ten years hence? Will Noela and Liam give up their child or keep him. Tough decision. Hindsight is 20/20.

I thought of Qui-Gon and his questions and I wondered if any of it meant anything to him. Noela had mentioned that he had a couple of esoteric beliefs he enjoyed researching, but I had never asked him specifics feeling that it was not my business unless he felt like sharing. Now as I reflected on what we spoke of, how he questioned me seemed important. Yet I was a simple man; an actor by profession. I had been nothing else, certainly not a great scholar nor a theologian of any sort. I was not a person given to having visions.

Many knowing my old life before becoming a married man, wondered at my contentment. If there were any doubts about those that still wondered, all you had to do was check the daily sludgenews. I had played and worked hard. I rarely thought anything more serious than my next character portrayal. It was Noela that brought the important things to my life.

I loved this introspective section. Getting to know Liam is interesting. Will his past intrude on his present?

10. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    Soon, Qui-Gon shall be no more. I wonder how Noela, Liam and the kids will respond to that? [face_thinking]

11. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    thought of Qui-Gon and his questions and I wondered if any of it meant anything to him. Noela had mentioned that he had a couple of esoteric beliefs he enjoyed researching, but I had never asked him specifics feeling that it was not my business unless he felt like sharing. Now as I reflected on what we spoke of, how he questioned me seemed important. Yet I was a simple man; an actor by profession. I had been nothing else, certainly not a great scholar nor a theologian of any sort. I was not a person given to having visions.

Many knowing my old life before becoming a married man, wondered at my contentment. If there were any doubts about those that still wondered, all you had to do was check the daily sludgenews. I had played and worked hard. I rarely thought anything more serious than my next character portrayal. It was Noela that brought the important things to my life.

I also thought of what Tani had said. My own insecurities could be no worse than the ones my wife had faced so many years ago. She had given me evidence daily that I was more than enough for her. She hadn't been as lucky. She had been forced to find some way to deal with everything that told her that she was not enough in comparison to Tahl. If she could do it, then being blessed with her love and support, I could too.

I really really love your storytelling, even from first person it is rich and beautiful.

Knowing that you are second on the list is a hard pill to swallow esecially when you were involved with a man.

I like how the events are lining up with TMP and Liam's version of it.

12. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    NerdWOMAN: I hope he is okay too. If anything goes bad, blame George not me. :) Yes Noela and Liam are cute together. Ish gives me her full blessing to be as sappy and romantic as I want with the pair of them. I will! Thank you. @};-

Valairy_Scot: You are right. It can't be good. :_| @};-

RK_Striker_JK_5: I am glad that scene went well. Thank you :) Yes they were rater cute even if Noela was too asleep to know it. And yes it is. :( @};-

Araxie
    : Indeed. :) It certainly might have had the effect of making some of those esoteric puzzle pieces fall into place for him. Liam of course is clueless to it because he doesn't really know the focus of his study, but sometimes it is the innocent that lead the wise. @};-

Brodiew
    : I am glad it is working. I agree that section was fun, because even though he is an OC, he still comes "alive" in unexpected ways at times. His past does show up in strange ways. Some good, some difficult. Thanks for reading! @};-

BrentusofGath
    : Good question. I hope you follow along and are good with the answers I have for you! @};-

ObsessedwithSW: This is the kind of newbie I am. I had no idea that first person is a tough thing, so I just roar right ahead from the perspective a lot. Not all the time but enough I just think it shows how much I have to learn. That being the case I am glad you think it is going well.

Yes Noela had some hard times coming to grips with many things, not just Tahl. Her main point of view though is that those lessons were worth learning. Liam is going to take us through a trip through canon from his viewpoint. I will add you and thank you! @};-

The PM list as I have it now, let me know if you want that changed!:

ObsessedwithSW
    Araxie
    Rk_Stryker
    BrodieW
    Souderwan
    DarthIshtar
    BrentusofGath
    NerdWOMAN

~~~~
    Note: Nore Aidel is a creation of DarthIshtar, used not only with her blessing but at her suggestion. Frankly it was a brilliant answer to a problem! Her story is found here Broken

We arrived home a few days later with our sons, and there had still been no real news about Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. It wasn't abnormal for the Jedi to disappear months on end of course, and they could have been anywhere, but as the Master was also friends with the current Chancellor and so it was highly likely he was doing something related to the crisis.

I knew my wife worried each time one of these last minute missions came up, and in truth I couldn't blame her. I had grown so used to the Jedi in my own life, it would have felt as if something were happening to a brother if anything went wrong.

It might have surprised anyone that didn't know us well, that we carefully avoided all personal talk of the subject while we both kept an eye on the news. It was easy to come up with a subject to distract ourselves with, since we now had three gorgeous and growing younglings.

Our other problem was that I had put off several important business trip to research some of the film projects my own small production company was working on and my own upcoming part in another holo. I was going to have just enough time to get my family settled and some temporary help in for my wife. I knew her sisters would also be around as much as they could so that they could shower our children with generous helpings of love, and my own mother and sisters wouldn't be able to stay away either.

The 'help' factor was still needed because Noela would need rest, something she would ignore because now she felt well. There was also the issue of Maron and his talents. We had no idea how soon the Temple would make a request but since Odjit Sakmet had turned in all of the paper work we knew something would happen and soon. She apologized saying that it was the law. We appreciated the sympathy but it didn't make it any easier.

We just had to find a way to believe that we were still the best for

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Aww... that was great, Noelie. :) Great solution by a great man, there. And yeah, Palpatine would give Darkseid the shivers... ;)

14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Aw, nice chapter indeed - so nice, it's hard to say any one thing stands out in it. It's such a beautiful slice of family and life. Very enjoyable (but I shudder at what's to come).

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yay, great perspectives on the Naboo crisis and wonderful use of Nore.

16. Araxie

Mar 6, 2006
    Yes, it is a great use of Nore in this story. I love how the answers just seem to fall into place.

17. NerdWOMAN

NerdWOMAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2005
    Nice Post! =D= =D=

I can't wait to see how the little ones grow and develop with the help of Nore!

18. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    "I don't know J'm. I just feel it,"

Yeah right. Sounds like he has an idea about what's coming. ;)

The coming of the magnificent Empire! [face_devil]

Good update, I think Liam's too preoccupied with his kids to really have any idea what will happen. It's going to come as a big shock, I'll betcha. ;)

19. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    Great post!

Why?? Noela asked, a little light of hope starting to shine in her eyes.

?I don?t know J?m. I just feel it, but you were both right to have concern about how you raise a child that has the gift of the force. That is where Miss Aidel comes in.?

In hindsight the answer seemed so perfect I couldn't believe that we hadn't thought of it. We already knew and liked Nore, we needed her help and she needed a stable situation. It was perfect if Nore would accept.

I was woried about her boy being at the temple during order 66 Ihad already calculated his age s I was greatly relieved when Qui spoke up and told them no to send the boy.

I get the sense that Qui knows something is going to happen.

Is the fist born child Qui-Gons or Liam's ?

20. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    RK_Striker_JK_5: I agree it was a great answer by a great man. Yes Palpatine would make a great many shudder, but for Noela it just boils down to he makes her queasy as a woman. Nothing more than that at this point.

Valairy_Scot: I am glad you enjoyed it. Yes what is to come is not good. Thank you for reading!

DarthIshtar: I am glad we have Nore. She is the perfect answer.

Araxie: Hehe.. you know a lot of this already so I am glad for your patience going over old ground. Hopefully it won't take me too long to get to new stuff.

NerdWoman: The little ones are going to be fun. I think some of the challenges could be entertaining.

BrentusofGath: Yes, I agree, a huge shock. Liam makes the point he is just what he is. Nothing more, nothing less, but certainly on his own no match for a Sith on his own. His very weaknesses will have to be his strenghts in the future.

ObsessedwithSW: Yes I think somewhere in those days he had a bit of an idea. Maybe not specifically, but it would take a far stupider man not to see that something else had to be up.

AN: Because of a good question by ObsessedwithSW in her reply to the posting, let me clarify for those not fully up to speed with the Noelaverse.

Noela and Qui-Gon of course know each other from adolescence. They have many adventures, some of which are not so fun. The balance that they try to keep is a challenge, but given that they are both bright, reasonably attractive adults the subject of love and attraction do come up. Not always happily or well.

About the point that Noela has given up the dream of finding someone that fares well against Qui-Gon, Liam Senoe, his look-a-like appears and sweeps her off her feet. All children are his, but Liam is a happily gracious man who manages also to work at the balanced relationship his wife has with the Jedi.

As to the answer of why little Maron has the force, is that I am going off the unwritten idea of my own that it is a rare recessive gene that has to do with the gift. Out of four children in such a case, one at least will show with the ability. The twins are fraternal and not identical, obviously :) I am no scientist so don't ask any more of me. You won't get a clear answer! [face_laugh]

The PM list as I have it now, let me know if you want that changed!:

ObsessedwithSW
    Araxie
    Rk_Stryker
    BrodieW
    Souderwan
    DarthIshtar
    BrentusofGath
    NerdWOMAN
    ~~~~~

I showed Nore into one of our guest rooms that was next to the nursery and then let her reintroduce herself to Ryma, before I returned to the living area.

Noela and Qui-Gon were sitting companionably together. still talking about the events during his trip, but this time she looked a great deal more concerned.

"What do you mean you had a couple of unimportant complications?"

"I wasn't prepared for bargaining in the Outer Rim. You were always better at that sort of thing. I ended up having to make some bets with a Toydarian that refused good Republic credits."

Noela rolled her eyes and began to grin, "You told up front what you had! Qui-Gon you are just to honest for your own good! Why didn't you go look for a credit exchanger? Where there is betting, they are sure to be found."

"I didn't have you with to help me?" He responded coolly.

"Your sweet-talking is not going to work with me, Jinn. So finish the story and tell me what your less than pedantic methods got you this time." She waved her hand in that sweetly imperious manner that had either of us confessing infractions over the years.

"It got me the Chosen One."

"What?" Noela was clearly shocked. I had no idea who or what the Chosen One was. I looked back and forth to either for explanation.

"His name is Anakin, and I am to take him to the temple later today for testing. I plan on taking him as a Padawan, and I want to bring him here to meet you."

I was now really lost, "Aren't you only allowed one?" I asked.

Qui-Gon inclined his head in agreement, "Indeed Liam, but Obi-Wan is more than capable of meetin

21. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, I've mopped myself up and have stopped literally crying. I haven't had a fic do that to me in some time, so congratulations for moving me to extremes. I am so totally using that ending to Love, Qui-Gon. Favorite parts:

Noela was shaking her head, "Qui-Gon, please tell him before you do something! Don't leave him hanging with no idea how you feel about him and these years. I can understand you want a new challenge, it has always been your way. Just don't forget that he loves you. You have to let him know." As I said before, why doesn't anyone listen to her more?!

"This doesn't sound good Qui-Gon. You aren't able to battle a military force on your own."

He heaved a sigh and gifted me with his wise smile.

"True, but there is sure to be some solution to the problem."

I just hoped it was a solution we could all live with.
    Well, slap me silly and call me foreshadowing.

?Liam?? Her voice was controlled, too controlled.

?Noela? Is everything all right? Are you and the children safe??

There was a moment and all I could hear was her trying to get a breath. I knew before she even got it out, that the moment she had spent the last 40 years being terrified of, had happened.

?He?s dead Liam. That thing, whatever it was killed him. Qui-Gon is dead.?

*SNIIIIIIIIIIIIIFF*

In here little hand there was a picture of Qui-Gon. I left it where it was. If it gave my little flower-face comfort, it would be allowed to stay. Awwww...

I wasn?t sure how to broach the next subject. I finally just decided I had to start. ?Noe, he sent two messages to me before he died.?

I felt her stiffen. ?Messages? He didn?t often send you anything like that. What did he say??

I reached for the controller so I could access the datapad screen I had installed so that Noe could rest and still get her information during pregnancy.

?It is so much easier if you read Noe. I didn?t read the second one, and in a moment you will know why, and if you don?t want me to read it I won?t. ?

She was apprehensive, but if I knew my carefully controlled wife it was because she knew and understood that whatever it was, would be something that would crack that control.

?Do you want me to go?? I asked, finally at some peace with what had gone before. I didn?t like the feeling I had won that calm because of Qui-Gon?s death.

?Of course not, I would just tell you later.? It was true; there was never anything that she hadn?t told me.

I nodded and pulled up the first message.

She was shaking as she read it, her breathing increasing at Qui-Gon's seeming premonition. She leaned back, against my shoulder, and closed her eyes for a moment. She sighed and then asked that I open the next one.

Dearest J'm,

It is likely if you read these words I have gone to join with the Living Force, for I believe Liam would not worry you with this for anything less.

There so much to say, and yet I left it all unsaid before this. I always told myself there would be time.

Now the excuse I might use is that wiser man you married and respect for the home that you both created.

You always said that there was nothing more important to me than the Living Force and being a Jedi.

I would just tell you that if there were a human personification of the Living Force, it was you.

Love Liam, love your children, and remember me well.

Love,
    Qui-Gon

And yeah, around the moment that he talked about the LIving Force was when I started the waterworks. I'm not sure exactly why, except that I totally agree.

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Oh, my... :( :_|

I join Ish in the waterworks. That was such a sad post, there. Great little overview of TPM. That thing... grr... :mad: And now Qui-Gon is dead!

Awesome, Noelie. Up!

23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Aw...I must be tired (I am) from my 3000' hike today - too tired to cry over what was well done and very sad (but expected, of course).

Great job...so much, so good, I'm not sure what I want to quote...perhaps I'll come back and edit this message.

24. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    Noela was shaking her head, "Qui-Gon, please tell him before you do something! Don't leave him hanging with no idea how you feel about him and these years. I can understand you want a new challenge, it has always been your way. Just don't forget that he loves you. You have to let him know."

I could almost feel the held breath of the room. Her request was from the heart, and the history that they had dealt with, but had separated them was in the plea.

I think he forgot that!

This was so sad! Icould feel the heavy mantle of grief in the air after his death. I definitely need to read he backround on this universe.

25. Araxie

Mar 6, 2006
    Wow Sis. That was beautifully writen. I loved Noela chidding Qui-Gon for not finding a money exchange! [face_laugh] That was great.

The letter to Noela was so beautifully writen and I love how you incorporated 'Love Qui-Gon' in the message. It made it that much more meaningfull and touching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.