main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga By Small Things - Update 07/16/2007

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Noelie, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    You are a very talented writer, Noelie. And this family of characters makes brings that gift to the fore. More than once, in this story, I have been moved by the quiet yet steadfast narration by Liam. He is wonderful husband who is so very wise and loving toward Noela. You weave a quiet desperation into this story and yet the foundation of the family is rock solid.

I'm having trouble putting into words how this story affects my and how your characters come alive. There is a genuine love here. It is unconditional and also uunderstood. I think that is what is so amazing. This is the model of a wonderful marriage and family who have endured struggles and tragedy, yet there is peace. I get it.

Now, that I've gotten that out of the way, let me talk about content rather than theme. ;) Qui-Gon's notes to Liam are touching, and more so, because he sent to Liam and trusted him to deliver them when the time was right.

I also see a glaring chunk of Noelaverse missing. Seven days to be exact. :D That story of Noela's reaction to Qui-Gon's must be told, but I understand that is cornerstone piece of the entire saga. I can wait.

I was also touched by Noela's comm call to Liam on the road. I can imagine the frustration on both sides at not having your spouse available to you. Or, not being able to be comfort or be comforted.

You also handled the Sith in a deftly mysterious way.

Wonderful post.=D=

2. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    I just hoped it was a solution we could all live with.

[face_devil] I guess not. [face_skull]

Really, that was very dramatic and sad. Very well done!

On a different note, this means that Palpy is on his way to forming the Sith Empire! Yay! Go Palpy! [face_devil]

3. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    First things first: A/N- for many that are familiar with the Noela works, they are aware that DarthIshtar has been writing a wonderful running fiction called Love, Qui-Gon in the before the saga. One important facet of that fiction is that Qui-Gon doesn't, will not, under any circumstances, because it would be icky yicky, say "Love, Qui-Gon". It only really happens during crisis. The first time through this fiction I didn't write the note to Noela, because of that fiction. I had complaints, notably from my esteemed co-author herself. I wrote it this time and well.. she loved the letter. No doubt about it. But then, the Love, Qui-Gon for the ending letter was put in my me here. Confusing? I suppose, just realize that it is her genius behind the letter.

Replies:

DarthIshtar: My goodness you quoted a great deal of that in your post, so I have to take it that you enjoyed that set. Somehow the one I like that you caught was what Emarli did for her own little sadness. Thank you for reading and putting up with me.

RK_Striker_JK_5: I made a good man cry? Cool! Thank you for reading. I agree. that...... Thing!!!

Valairy_Scot: A hike sounds good. A nice kind of tired. Thanks for reading although you were beat!

ObsessedwithSW: Yes I think he forgot somethings too at times. It would be normal for his personality. It isn't that he means to, but his bright intelligence would be on to the next "shiny object" although he still loves those in his present. And yes it would take a long time for a great many people to adjust after he was gone.

Anytime you want to keep reading the Noela-verse stuff we would be thrilled. :)

Araxie: I have to admit I got it from that professor that wrote the great review but pointed out that yet again some of our folks in creative places just don't get the free market system that has allowed them to flourish. It was stupid that someone there wouldn't exchange money. That would just be the way of things. Watto wouldn't take it? Well xxx down the street can help with that. Heck even our most repressive regimes have money exchangers (banks, the mob, what have you!) Thanks for reading.

brodiew: Thank you so much! I love our little family. They will be refined through fires in the future, but the one thing I want to show is that some people make that the challenge to become even more devoted to each other and their well-being. I know there is a current fad to only talk about issues and problems, but I can even point to Araxie's little family as an example of a family understanding what that sort of commitment is about. So the Senoe family will endure.

Thank you for noticing Qui-Gon's trust of Liam and Noela's first response of turning to her husband. I agree those days are missing and I know that they will come.

As for the Sith, this family won't understand what they mean at this point but sadly they will learn :( Thank you for a post that I sorely needed on the day you sent it. It cheered me greatly.

BrentusofGath
    : Thank you! And of course you think Palpatine is good news. Someday I will reduce him to that bemused paper-pusher that doesn't understand our worlds obsession with him I keep playing with.

~~~~~~
    The next morning we set about finalizing our plans before we left Coruscant.

We no longer felt at home on the city planet of my birth. The spectacular view of the Jedi Temple only served to remind us that we would be asked a question we didn't want to hear. It seemed so much more difficult without our friend and the support he would have been.

There was the matter of the small gathering we had planned for the children's Tzicialt. As their aunt's, uncles, cousins and remaining grandmother were all on Coruscant it was a matter of timing and convenience, a chance to spend precious time together before we went to the corners of the galaxy.

I watched as Noe went through her list of things to do, checking off each one with more care than was usual. It was if she kept closely to a schedule th

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Aww, that post was pretty sweet. So many changes going on... And looks who shows up. *Hits Palpatine with a rolled-up newspaper*

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I loved the anakin/noela interaction and obi/liam was very interesting. And you're making me dread my favorite villain.

6. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    I am so impressed with Liam's voice- he is so kind. Noela and Liam are just the type of people you want on your side.

You give us such an insider's view to their marriage both from Liams thoughts and their interaction. So who is thier relationship modeled after?

I feel sorry for Obi-Wan, having to shoulder so much at a young age.

Your tone of this story really is simply amazing Noelie!

7. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006
    You are updating each set nicely, with additions and clarifications that are bringing a richness to the story. I really like how Liam is trying to get Obi-Wan to see how much Anakin is dependent upon his mother. To the "if Only", maybe things could have been different.

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I liked this chapter - Obi/Ani with Liam especially. A lot of changes a lot of people are going through.

And now dear Palpy shows up [shivers]

9. BrentusofGath

Aug 12, 2005
    Anakin nodded and then turned to Noela. His mouth gaped open in suprise, "I know you. Master Qui-Gon thought about you often. I saw it. You were important to him."

=D= Wonderful characterization of little Ani.

Chancellor Palpatine stood at my door with a gentle smile of greeting on his face.

:D [face_devil]

[Mr. Burns]Excellent![/Burns] I wonder who he's there to see, hehe. He wants to make sure Ani is on the right path.

I wonder if Liam will free Shmi before Cliegg Lars does? [face_thinking] And if so, what effect that will have on Anakin?

Very nice. :)

10. NerdWOMAN

NerdWOMAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2005
    Anakin nodded and then turned to Noela. His mouth gaped open in suprise, "I know you. Master Qui-Gon thought about you often. I saw it. You were important to him."

Noela's face scrunched a little in the effort not to cry, and then she dropped to her knees to give the young padawan a hug.

Very tender moment! I loved it!!

11. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    Author replies:

RK_Striker_jk_5: Yes Jon, hit him with that rolled up newspapers. If only the Jedi had known that is all you had to do! [face_laugh]

DarthIshtar: The Liam/Obi-Wan was fun to contemplate. There isn't much Obi-Wan could say to stop a non-Jedi from what they were going to do, and that had to frustrate him a bit. Palpatine should be dreaded IMHO. [face_beatup]

obsessedwithSW: I am glad Liam comes across as Kind. I think I wanted that to be his main defining characteristic. There are so few truly kind people, and yet each should be cherished every bit as much as the bad guys. Their relationship is bits and parts of things I see in Araxie's marriage, and others I am privy too around here. Obi-Wan had to take on a horrible burden at a young age, but Anakin is not what I am thinking of, but of the Jedi that had to be prepared to get the next generation ready in its time. Thank you for your compliment. It means a great deal.

Araxie
    : yes I go back and forth still. Some is new, some is the older things. I hope it all comes together.

Valairy_Scot
    : Yes it was fun to have the "men" together with more interaction. That ruddy Palpatine never means anything good!

BrentusofGath: One thing in a paper by a professor had written was complimentary to the young Anakin, which was a delight since so many still take to bashing the young actor that played him. He felt opposite to so many that he did an excellent job showing the young Anakin as a bright and obedient boy, with no smartalec to be found. I hoped I echoed that version of Ani. I felt he was correct.

Yes I know you are thrilled to see Palpatine slithering around. [face_laugh] Good Question about Shmi!

NerdWOMAN: I am glad you liked that moment.

As always thanks everyone for reading! It really is a nice thing. @};-

~~~~~~

I could hear the hush behind me as the guests realized that the single-most important, political figure in the Republic was the newest guest to arrive.

I turned to Noela, who I could see over by the Jedi, where she was overseeing Anakin holding Maron. Her eyebrow was raised, asking a question I had no answer for. I smiled at her as I turned back to the Chancellor and his entourage.

"Hello sir, you do us honor." I said, confused yet somehow complimented the same time.

"My pleasure, My pleasure indeed. I had heard of Senator Ovorp's newest additions, and felt it important that I come to honor her service to the Republic."

He brushed past me without another look, and headed directly for my wife. I shut the door after all of those that were with him entered my home, and then worked my way to my wife. Her hand was outstretched to take mine. Noela was always poised, but I had learned those little signs that would give away just how agitated she was feeling inside. She was definitely unsettled by Palpatine's appearance.

The Chancellor had stopped to greet Obi-Wan and his young apprentice. I noted that Nore had come forward to take Maron while Mere, filled with familial pride, had taken ownership of young Owyn.

The Chancellor greeted my wife, "Ah, and here is the lady that whose presence we miss so greatly in our government halls, Senator Emeritus Ovorp!" He declared.

"Senator Emeritus Senoe?Chancellor," my wife declared somewhat archly. I was certainly enjoying a front row seat for an old political rivalry, one that Noela was always irritated she could never quite get the best of. She said she felt like he was playing everyone like puppets. Since I found him at least charming, if a little dismissive of me, I would only tease her about political rivalries.

"Ah, yes of course my dear Madame Senoe. I apologize to you sir." The incline of his head was gracious and elegant.

I decided it was time to break in with my part in our little act. "Senator Palpatine, allow me to get you some wine, come this way and meet our guests. My darling," I placed an arm around my wife?s waist, taking the Chancellor's somewhat hesitant arm with my other, and turning

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Man, Palpatine's slicker than an oil stain... and twice as ugly. Liam, trust your wife's instincts! She's right, there.

And the tabloids... Grr! Such awful things! [face_worried]:mad: great post, Noelie!

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    *Goosebumpy* Definitely creepy bits there.

14. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    You are doing a superb job, Noelie. Thanks so much for the PMs. I really like how well you've drawn some of the more familiar characters (Palpatine) while enlightening us on your OCs. I'm really enjoying where this is going and look forward to future updates! :)

~Souderwan

15. Araxie

Mar 6, 2006
    Since I know where you are going with this, it makes me want to kick and scream and cry even more. Good job on expanding that set in this update. =D=

16. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    Noela's instincts are rght on the money and unfortunately Liam will figure that out soon enough. Wondeful post Noelie keep up the good work!

17. BrentusofGath

Aug 12, 2005
    Always one to enjoy hearing my feelings of Noe reflected in someone else, I decided that he couldn't be all bad.

[face_devil] All part of the plan. It's strange how the Jedi can't tell, but Noela gets how evil Palps really is.

[face_devil] And of course now he's interested in the Force sensitive baby. A new Hand, maybe? ;)

Great update, wonderful party, excellent Palpatine. :D

18. NerdWOMAN

NerdWOMAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2005
    I decided it was time to break in with my part in our little act. "Senator Palpatine, allow me to get you some wine, come this way and meet our guests. My darling," I placed an arm around my wife?s waist, taking the Chancellor's somewhat hesitant arm with my other, and turning to where we had several fine wines available for our guests.

Smooooth...very smooth. Good guy.

"Isn?t it a waste of resources to have someone of her remarkable talents act as a nanny for babies?"

What a bully!

Great post! =D= =D= Nice way to end it. She won't be very happy about the breaking news...

19. Noelie

Jul 11, 2005
    RK_Striker_JK_5: I agree, Palpatine is slicker than an oil stain. His genius at keeping his fingers in all situations is amazing.

DarthIshtar: Yes, just a little bit creepy. Thanks for the support!

Souderwan: Thank you. I appreciate how everyone is busy but they come and support me in the effort. Thank you for reading and the kind words. I hope to keep the direction more focused this time!

Araxie: Yes you do know how bad things can get for the Senoe's. Don't kick and scream too much. Michael will worry! [face_laugh]

obsessedwithSW: Yes Noela's instinct are right on the money. However Liam's kind nature will be what gets them all through. Again as always thanks for reading and your support!

BrentusofGath: You are the first to ask that insightful question about hands. When Luke institutes his academy force-sensitives don't just start appearing from Rock. They were there and Palpatine would have known of them and kept track of them. Who better to train, than a baby if he can get a hand on him, or keep control of him somehow?

It can't mean good, which of course will please you! [face_laugh]

NerdWOMAN Yes Liam can be smooth, and yes Palpatine IS a bully. But then we know that from hindsight....

Thank you so much for reading!

~~~~~

I told my Noe that we were again targets of the very lowest denominators of the sludgenews. Normally she would just take it with a laugh, but with the knowledge that we would very soon be facing the Jedi request, she could only muster a muted terror. I was glad I planned a strategy meeting with Matin.

That feeling was only made worse as we made ready to attend the first sessions of the inquest for Qui-Gon. There was general feeling among those that knew circumstances of his death, that he was directly targeted by the Zabrak warrior that came after the Queen's party. I knew Noela was nervous, as she realized that they would show the security footage. She had face many scenes of gruesome violence during testimony of this sort in the past, but this time it was someone deeply loved by her.

It had been a long time since she donned the senatorial blue, although she had the right to style both that or the ambassadorial white. It gave the effect of her subdued spirit and the heavy hearts we all carried since his death.

I kissed the cheek of my wife, and she straightened my collar. "Are you ready for this Noe?"

"No," was the logical and simple answer from my wife. "This is the last thing I ever wanted to attend for him. How did it go at Matin's office?"

"It was the usual sort of thing. He gave me the good news first of how many more assets you have managed to acquire for us, and then he gave me a rundown of the cease and desist orders he can send."

Noela sighed, "I hate to be channeling Obi-Wan, but have a bad feeling about all of this. It will only get worse when they discover Maron's gift."

"Sweetie, don't be borrowing trouble. It will all work out for the best." I hoped I sounded my most confident.

I watched her as she pulled a couple of the hand-embroidered handkerchiefs that had been her grandmothers from a drawer. Her smile was a trifle watery as she turned.

"You are a wonderful man and a terrible liar. We both know everything feels wrong, but I am glad you will be with me." She came close to put a hand on my arm.

I held my arm out so that she could take it as we left.

~~~~~

I had never personally met Qui-Gon's former Master, Dooku. His feelings about the order and how things worked were already becoming set at the time of our wedding. I knew that he saw me as a usurper. I knew, of course, who he was, as his influence on the order was immense.

Noela had told me that as both men grew older, Dooku's frustration with Qui-Gon was that he didn't use his moments of rebellion for lasting change, but for moment-based result. He wanted Qui-Gon to join with him for lasting change to the order. As long as the Living Force did not decree such an action, Qui-Gon would not agree.

Today as I

20. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I liked Noela and Liam there as they were about to go in. And 'borrowing trouble'? Hmm... sounds familiar. ;) Loved her channeling Obi-Wan, too. :D Nice little summary of Dooku, there.

Poor Noela, having to see all that... :( And I recall what's gonna happen next... *Hita Palps with a sledgehammer*

21. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    "I wish you would have believed him before he paid that price." Noela murmured. :eek:A fair comment, perhaps, but was that the proper time? Perhaps it was, after all.

Obi-Wan came at that moment to sit beside us. ..
    He held Noela?s hand. ?Are you ready for this? The security footage will be difficult. You know what Qui-Gon would say.?

For a moment she didn?t say anything. She collected herself with a sigh, and a ghost of a smile in memory, ?he would tell me that someone as gentle-bred as I am would have no business being here. And I would ignore him.? She laughed, as did we. It pretty much described their 'skirmishes'.

Very in character for both of them.

The most difficult testimony for Noela was Obi-Wan's. She remained calm, almost dispassionate during most of the testimony of the young man we watched grow from Padawan to Master in a short period of time. He gained strength from her, frequently their ballast found in each other. Even to my mind the government inquisitor was being harsh in his treatment of the Jedi. I wasn?t sure what they were actually trying to prove.

He made it sound as if Qui-Gon was incompetent and Obi-Wan was negligent in his duty. I could see no reason for this tactic.
    Well, how dare he! :eek:

It didn?t make sense, as these two men had probably saved a world. As if understanding this, the hardest moments were watching how they had become separated, and Obi-Wan bowing his head, confessing, ?I shouldn?t have left him alone.? Noela gave a little sob, and refused to look away until Obi-Wan looked to her again, and I heard her whisper, ?there was nothing you could do.? Ah, Noela, Obi-Wan needed that understanding and you were kind to give it to him.

"Just get here with Noela and the twins. We can go over it then. Don't look at the Holonews and don't let Noela listen for now, and do what you can to avoid everyone. Just get in here as fast as you can." Oh dear, more nasty rumors?

I can't wait for the update - and will probably miss the next several. But, I shall then have several updates to catch up on.

22. Araxie

Mar 6, 2006
    "I hate to be channeling Obi-Wan, but have a bad feeling about all of this.

I love that line, it was great.

This set is so emotionally moving. To see Liam's respect for Qui-Gon and his concern for Obi-Wan
    is so touching.
    Nice work
    @};-

23. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Excellent as always, Noelie. I'm sorry to be absent these last couple of posts, but I'm caught up with the exception of the most recent post.

Palpatine's visit was intetresting. I liked that Liam thought he was ok, but Noela has always despised him. Or, at least extremely disliked him. :)

I lvoe all the actual Saga stuff here. Palps working the room, but paying very close attention to all Jedi. how about the wonderful question about the ex-Jedi working for them. yikes. I could hear Ian McDermid(sp?) saying the lines.

Obi-Wan is sufficienly somber in the wake of Qui-Gon's death and the taking of a new apprentice. Liam aboservation about losing his father in one instant and becoming one the next was the best line of these two posts, if not the series. Wonderful writing. I'll catch up to the next post very soon and see how the Ovorp family will handle the holo press.

Sorry no quotes this time. ;)

24. BrentusofGath

Aug 12, 2005
    Young Anakin was left at the temple to attend classes to help him catch up. His mother had done what she could, but there was a great deal of material he had to learn in a short amount of time.

:eek: So they did buy and free Shmi. That might change some things.

"I also might have questions for you and your wife. There are some strange inquiries being made about your son."

"Questions? From where?"

From a certain Sith Lord named Sidious. Something about his 'Hands' or something of the like. *evil grin*

I love it!

25. obsessedwithSW

May 24, 2005
    Still she acted with supreme poise over the next several hours. The security tapes were all too real, and was she stoic during the gruesome scenes of death. Her hand reached over to Obi-Wan and squeezed his hand. To watch the Master?s pain at the end was more than even I could bear, and I bent forward to place my hands over my eyes. He had been my friend, and deserved a better end than that.

You portray the raw emotions of the scene beautifully! I am glad Liam said enough and took Noela away.

Excellent impressions of Dooku's prescence.

I have a really bad feeling about the children.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.