main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends 'By the pricking of my thumbs...' JA, (Obi/Qui) - *Updated 30/04/2007*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    I *just now* read about the tidal waves & quakes in your area--you are in my prayers, Princess_A!! Please let us know if you are OK when you can.

Blessings & hope, SV

2. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Shaindl and SarkaVrae: Thank you - :)

As for the tsunami episode - sigh. Frankly, my dears, very few even *knew* what a tsunami was - most were caught unawares at the seashore - that was the reason for the heavy toll. Damage Control is being done - as much as possible. I live in the heart of the city - it's the coastline that took a heavy beating. Down south, its worse, because of the geographical location of the ports - again, the Govt is doing its best.

Thanks for your thoughts - I really appreciate it.

3. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    This is really intriguing. I am patiently (sort of) waiting for more.

4. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    The photos and video we saw here were devastating. I can't imagine what it was like to be in it or even near it. I'm glad to hear that you and your family are okay. Take care and come back to this when you can. :)

Shaindl

5. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    PadawanKitara: Oh, welcome! I *am* working on an update :)

Shaindl: Thank you - will get back as soon as I can :)

6. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    A great story! And I hope you and yours are safe and sound.

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    You've got such a wonderful story going here! I can't wait for the next update, though I guess I'll have to. You're really talented!

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm finding this lovely little tale late in the game, but like everyone says it's very entertaining and equally addictive. Only now I wish I'd waited just a bit longer to find it cause I'm dying to know what the Ischila is.

I really enjoy the way you write their relationship, it's so comnfortable, just the way I picture them.

I'm glad to hear you and your family are okay...very sad news in that part of the world. :(

9. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    *Whew* Great to know that you are safe!! Hope no loved ones were lost! [:D]

I am totally enjoying this! I had some extra time here at work and sat down to read it all in one session. I'm a stickler for doing that ;) I want to read stories all at once instead of segments ;) Can't wait for more!

You're doing such an excellent job on Obi and Qui's relationship!! Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what this entailing will be!!

10. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon: Nice to see you here. I hope you enjoy the fic :)

VaderLVR64" (goes pink) Thank you :)- And you don't have long to wait - I'm done with the next part.

Healer leona: Thanks for reading.:) I'll try to sustain reader interest - I'm working slowly, since this is my first fic. Am glad you like the way Obi/Qui are portrayed - this how I like to see them :)

Kynstar: You're like me then :D - I can't bear to wait until the next update either - which is why I worked on the next part as soon as I could. Thanks for raeding!

Now for the update...

Part 4

The Ischila.

Obi-Wan drew in a deep breath, dusting the mental cobwebs that had accumulated around old, classroom memories of ancient artifacts, the legends surrounding them, and the beings involved in the propagation of such legends. The Ischila had been among the most prominent that he had heard - and the vaguest.

They were taught to question facts and ascertain the truth or otherwise of the things they came across - but questioning ancient legends was different. The stories surrounding them were uncertain enough - how did one verify legends?

He stared at the tiny thing that danced about his eyes, trying to assess it. He remembered descriptions of it - even then, reality was very far from what he had learnt. As if in contradiction to the size of the legends surrounding it, the Ischila itself was remarkably small - only the size of a child's marble. And much more colourful. Deep blue and green shades, entwined with purple and orange swirled through its depths as it whizzed around him, seemingly unable to stay in one place.

So small, was Obi-Wan's first thought as he stretched out towards it, through the force. Somehow, he didn't think of taking it in his hand - he felt instinctively that it would evade his grasp. So very...small - and beautiful.

//Appearances are deceptive, padawan.//

//So I've learnt, master. From you. //

A brief smile was his answer. //What do you remember of the Ischila?//

Obi-Wan bit his lip. //I retain bits and pieces of lessons learnt years ago - not much, I'm afraid. I do remember, however, that the Ischila is not of Coruscant, or our surrounding worlds.//

//Indeed. It is even believed by some that the Ischila is not of this galaxy, at all.//

//Not of this galaxy?? How is that possible?//

//Only a belief, padawan. And those are based on some of the powers possessed by that marble you see, floating around your head.//

//I *have* read something to that effect - but we were not given elaborate explanations. What kind of...powers?//

There was a pause, and Obi-Wan felt his master approach him slowly. "Again, we have only vague references to them...aside from personal experiences. And those differ from person to person."

"Then...the Ischila can channel the Force?"

"Some do not believe this to be - but some of the Council think so, yes. Possibly because when one tries to sense it through the Force - what did you feel?"

Obi-Wan drew a breath, and closed his eyes, continuing on his probe. He sensed the little marble-like object barely a few feet from him. He could sense its movements...but that was all. It flickered into his conciousness - but seemed to vanish almost instantly.

"I can't..." He frowned, from the effort. "I can't pin it down." There it was again - a brief spike of anxiety, travelling, apparently, down his throat. //Why can't I sense it? I should be able to.//

//The Ischila is capable of shielding its presence.//

Obi-Wan opened his eyes in surprise. //Then....it is a sentient being?//

He could hear his master produce something akin to a sigh. //That, again, is a point of debate, padawan. Some say that it is - while others argue that the technology involved in its production is so intricate that there is no knowing what exactly it *is* capable of. And there are others who say that it has nothing to do w

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh,very mysterious and not a little frightening. I liked the explaination but even more, I liked the gestures and reassurances that Qui was trying to give to Obi-Wan - especially the last when their fingers were still entwined.

Really lovely. I look forward to more!

12. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Just letting you know I am still here. I am trying to catch up because traveling has made it hard to keep up with stories I'm reading. I'll post when I'm caught up. ;)

13. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    very interesting

14. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Beautiful job, PA. I agree with Diane - Qui's actions and words were wonderful. Actually, all your dialogue is wonderful - I just love the things you have the characters say. :)

But, wow, way to leave it on an ominous note. This doesn't sound good at all. Looking forward to seeing what you have planned. :)

Shaindl

15. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Chapter 2

The apprentice had submitted, after extracting a promise from Healer Han'yaie that a ward would *not* be named after him. [face_laugh]

That was great action. It was neat to see Obi-Wan rescue Qui.

Chapter 3

I love the converation and banter between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. Ah, mystery.

Chapter 4
    This Ischila sounds very ominous for something so small. Ilook forward to how it wages its battle with Obi-Wan.

16. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    dianethx: Thank you. I'm working on more...you know, this thing is taking more twists and turns than the original version :)

Master_Noi: Thanks :). Yep, the Ischila wages battle - and it can get...um...ugly. Glad you enjoyed the banter - I enjoyed writing it :).

PadawanKitara: :)

Shaindl: Thanks :). Hopefully, you'll like the succeeding parts, too.

17. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    How did I miss this update? Oh yeah I was out of town with no access on New year's LOL

The Ischila (did I spell that right?) sounds really ominious and creepy. I'm not sure I like it. Have to wait and see :) I look forward to seeing where you are going with this :)

18. AthenaLeigh

AthenaLeigh Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2004
    Oh, very very interesting. I'm glad I'm finally caught up. This Ischila sounds like quite the item. I can't wait to see what it will throw Obi-Wan's way. You do a wonderful job with them. I love the entwined fingers at the end. What a marvelous job so far.

I'm so pleased you like A Taste of Youth. I'm not sure what more I can do with that, but I've got lots of other little Qui-Gon stories. I'll see what I can do for ya. ;)

19. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Just catching up and this is a wonderful story, I was hooked on the first post :) Love the interaction between Qui and Obi-Wan! I can't believe that English is your second language. Wonderful!

I'm very curious as to what this 'Ischila' is!

From the first post: Master - together with being one of the most dignified members of the Most Enlightened Order of Force-Sensitive Beings...a lecture on 'The intricacies of Sebullian Funeral Customs' isn't something you can escape.// [face_laugh] Also liked the 'bath' Qui was receiving ;) Really like how you write their relationship.

20. The_Hutt

The_Hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2004
    This is awsome! I must say, the banter between Obi and Qui is perfect. As you've never read the books, you must have read some of the threads around here...your character's conversation is well-written and clever. I love the first post. Obi-Wan sewing?? Never come across that before! And the idea of Qui-Gon chatting with Obi-Wan rather than dying of boredom at a seminar is hilarious. I also like the description of Obi-Wan as he saved Qui's life, the angel of light. Good description. And despite your obvious knack for humor, you have also crafted a thread that is very intriguing and has us on the edge of our seats. What is this Ischila? Obi must be in for a rough ride for Qui to be so worried. And hooray for the mush! I hope this cliffie isn't too much longer!

21. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Update soon? IT's been awhile :D

22. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Layren: Glad you caught the update - I was wondering where you were :). I know, I know...it's been a while - but I promise I'll be back soon - I've been saddled with tests and assignments - I'm half-done with the next chapter. :)

AthenaLeigh: Thanks. Frankly, I can't wait to see what the Ischila throws as Obi either - I'm runing through myriad possibilities, at the moment :)>>>I'll see what I can do for ya.

Do, please :D.

tangled_sphere: Thank you, and welcome :)

The_Hutt: Edge of your seat? Wow, thanks :)Yes, I picked up the...er...threads of their relationship from the threads around here - and I think Qui and Obi were comfortable enough to chat telepathically, when they were particularly bored. :)I'll try to make the cliffie as short as possible :D

23. Padawan_ChironStar

Padawan_ChironStar Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2005
    Wow! This is such a great start to what looks like a very promising story! Honestly if you never mentioned that your English wasn't your first language I never would have even guessed it!

The Ischila sounds very interesting indeed - how did you come up with the name?

Anyway, looking forward to reading more, keep up the great work!

24. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Am back.

Padawan_ChironStar: Welcome :) I didn't really think about the Ischila - I was rooting around for an exotic sounding name - and it just...popped up. Hope you enjoy what I spin out. :)

And here's the update. Will cook up more, soon. :D

Part 5

"Ready for this, is he?" questioned Master Yoda.

Qui-Gon smiled at the faint trace of concern in the wizened master's voice. "I believe so, yes. What he learns now will be of immense benefit to him."

"Immense benefit, yes. Only on passing the test."

Qui-Gon frowned. "He *will* pass it. I know Obi-Wan."

"Hmm. Yet, wish this for him, do you?"

Qui-Gon drew a deep breath, rose, and began to pace the rather constricted quarters of the oldest Jedi living. "I've told you my reasons. I wish him to be...prepared."

"Why?"

The simple question brought him up short. Qui-Gon drew a hand across wavy strands of chest-nut hair, and gazed at Yoda, seemingly calm and collected. His eyes, though, gave away his inner turmoil - they were a stormy, intense, blue.

"I..." he stopped, surprised at his loss of words.

Master Yoda cast him a keen glance that seemed to absorb everything, yet gave away nothing. "Fear for him, do you?"

Qui-Gon shook his head. "No. It's strange, but I don't have that fear. I may have entertained doubts about others - even Obi-Wan, during our early years together. But I did not know him well, then. I do, now. He will not fail - not in that sense. But I do fear the future..." he paused, stepping hesitantly into the next few words. "His future."

"Sense danger, you do? For Obi-Wan?"

Qui-Gon considered the import of his words carefully, before he uttered them. "I have never had the gift of prescience, Master...my strength is the Living Force, and I know it. I have not had visions, as other Jedi do - but I have never regretted it. The Force speaks to me in other ways."

"Regretted it, we have, often." Master Yoda's eyes were twinkling.

Qui-Gon smiled. "I daresay. Obi-Wan is different. He, I imagine, would be a delight to the Council - he is firmly bound to the Unifying Force - and has a gift for prescience. If anyone must have visions, it ought to be Obi-Wan."

"Has he?"

"Not that I know of. And I would have known."

"Yet, uneasy, you are. For him."

"His improvement in the past few months has been phenomenal. I knew he was gifted - but not even I expected such leaps and strides in his training. " He paused, weighing his words. "I do not think I am wrong - but I sense...greatness in store for him."

Yoda's eyes softened. "Doubt padawan Kenobi's prowess, I do not. Trust you, he does. As always." There was a brief pause. "Filled with light, is your apprentice. More so, than others his age."

"And therein, my master, lies the reason for my unease."

"Much darkness, his light will attract."

"Yes." *900 years- and his precision is still intact*. "And I wish him to protect himself. I do not know where and when I began to feel so - but I wish to know that he will not be...coerced. I do not wish his light...tainted. And that is where I thought the Ischila might help." Qui-Gon's thoughts flickered briefly towards another apprentice who had taken the easier route - before he brought his attention forcefully to the present.

"Too much the Ischila is, to ask of any padawan. Even yours."

"My instinct tells me that he must be prepared."

Yoda seemed to heave a sigh. "Doubt not your instincts, then, padawan mine. Prepared, he will be."

"Master?"

The voice interrupted his thoughts - and Master Qui-Gon brought his thoughts to the present, to his apprentice - from the conversation that had taken place the day before.

"Yes, Obi-Wan?"

Obi-Wan had activated his light-saber, and was standing in the centre of the training - mat, as though preparatory to duel. "May I start now?"

Qui-Gon hesitated, guaging the tiny marble that still hovered in the apprentice's line of sight, as though lazily contemplating him. Obi-Wan was squinting at it, his hand rising imperceptibly, bringing

25. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved the discussion between Qui-Gon and Yoda. Loved that Qui understood at some level that much would be asked of his apprentice in the future. Loved that he wanted Obi-Wan to be safe in the Light.

And then a cliff-hanger. Oh, just plain loved it. I look forward to seeing where this one goes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.