main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends 'By the pricking of my thumbs...' JA, (Obi/Qui) - *Updated 30/04/2007*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Obi-Wan should not be wandering the Temple, especially after Qui-Gon specifically told him not to. Plus he is disturbingly restless, not concentrating on his task - a side reaction to the Ischila perhaps?? His thoughts about his first encounter with Qui-Gon are also disturbing...

of a certain Jedi Master who had once told him to rein in his anger.

He closed his eyes briefly, feeling a prick of emotion. It had been so long ago?

Six years, a small voice whispered inside him. Not so long ago.

Is the Ischila still affecting him?

I loved your description of the Crystal Room. I could picture it all so clearly in my head - I want to see it for myself!:D

And your inclusion of Obi-Wan's thoughts about the Jedi's destruction from within was cool!

But even when he is clowning around with his friends, Obi-Wan seems a bit preoccupied. He needs to regain his center, especially if he is to go back to encounter the Ischila again.

Great job. Keep going!

2. River_Stone

River_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    Oh. My. Goodness.

:eek:

That was...that was.........

:eek:

I need to lie down...

3. JuniorPadawan

JuniorPadawan Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    A mad Jedi huh? Well people should listen more to the ramablings of the insane. ;)

4. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Qui-Gon's not going to be happy when he finds out Obi-Wan is out against his orders, but Obi seems more relaxed with his friends. :) I love the description of the Crystal room. It sounds really beautiful, and peaceful. The way the statue of the "mad Jedi" seems to call to Obi-Wan was kinda creepy, forshadowing I guess. [face_plain] I wonder if Garen (and Bant) knows about the Ischila? [face_thinking]

Yay! Wonderful post!

5. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Ooh. I just found this, and it's very very good! Like everyone else, I'm bowled over by the good dialogue and the clever mystery. How long have you been speaking and writing English?

I too liked the bust of the mad Jedi, and how fascinating it was to Obi-Wan, very nice foreshadowing of things to come!

6. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    I had started to read this earlier, but lost track of it somehow.

Princess_A this is a beautiful story! I love the interaction between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

The Ischila is particularly intriguing. Is Obi-Wan to face it until he can 'defeat' it?

Lovely scene between Obi-Wan, Bant and Garen. And I think that I saw this question asked in a previous reply... but just how does Garen know about the Ischila? It hardly seems like something that is to be gossiped about.

Fantastic! Eagerly awaiting the next twist in the plot.

-sheleigh

7. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    The ways of ancient Archivists could not be questioned. Can?t you just picture the archivists snapping at an unsuspecting little padawan? Do not question me, invidel! RAWR! [face_skull]

Quetrili the Mad has a decidedly Harry-Potter-type ring about it. Whee?

Awww, Bant and Garen! I wonder how long it?s been since they?ve all been together, for a change? Hehe, Obi-Wan, you ought to know better by now than to approach a swimming friend in dry clothes! Of course she?s going to push you in, I mean, we?d all do the same given half a chance. :p

Also, forgive me for being thick or naïve, but pray tell, what is a golle? :confused: And is it something like a goose?

Apparently, the Nelth V mission was not one to be savored. Tee-hee. This ficcy is so entertaining! If you don?t update as soon as you?re able, I?ll be crushed.

8. jediGrace

jediGrace Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2005
    I love this story!! You write beautifully. I like the comfortable interaction between Qui and Obi. It seems like some tension came in in the last posts though. [face_worried] Is Obi trying to avoid Schen?

I'm dying to see how Obi-Wan defeats the Ischila. And maybe he will learn something that will help him later with Anakin facing the dark? Although I'm not anxious for him to land in the hospital again. :( He's a brave guy though. I'm sure he's willing to try again.

More please?! [face_praying]

9. ari_stormset

ari_stormset Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2005
    ^-^ Absolutely gorgeous, dahling! Please, more soon? (big puppy eyes)

Peace! Ari.

10. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    A thousand @};- to you all - -Darksaber-, maychorian, my padawan, Shaindl, LuvEwan, PadawanKitara, dianethx, River_Stone, JuniorPadawan, Jedi_Tigris, raisedbywolves, sheleigh, Fluff-Slayer, jediGrace, ari_stormset - you're the reason I've updated this again...and my muse actually cooperated.

Individual replies in next post, dear ones. Here's the update.:)

Part 10

II

The gentle lapping of waves against the shores of the Crystal Lake were the only sounds to be heard, for a while.

Obi-Wan stared down into his friends? faces. Garen?s eyes were quizzical but steadfast; Bant looked away from him for a moment, and then turned to look at him again; curiosity and concern battling for supremacy.

Crystal blossoms floated towards them; Obi-Wan bent down and scooped up a few from the waters, rolling the dazzling buds in his fingers. ?The Jewel??? He asked in a conversational tone.

?The Jewel.? Garen spoke, not allowing Obi-Wan to look away, his expression indicating that his clan-mate must continue speaking. He brought his arms forward and placed his chin on them, as though preparing for a long and involved explanation.

Obi-Wan frowned. ?How in Coruscant did you get to know??

?He doesn?t deny it,? murmured Bant, as she rolled over in the water.

?No, he doesn?t,? concurred Garen.

They continued looking at Obi-Wan, their manner strangely resembling a visitor staring at a mutated gundark at the Coruscant Extra-terrestrial Animal Park.

?Good grief,? Obi-Wan murmured. ?Is nothing sacred in the Temple, anymore??

?The whole Temple?s sacred, as the ancient Masters would say,? Garen answered lazily. ?And now, you?ll give up these evasive tactics and talk?unless you don?t want to, and we?ll leave.? He threw a keen glance at Obi-Wan, who seemed oblivious of his wet and clinging tunics. ?You can talk, can?t you??

?I can,? was Obi-Wan?s dry remark. ?I don?t know if I may.?

?And there speaks the perfect Basic learner,? Garen shook his head. ?There?s no reason to resent our curiosity, Obi. These things are difficult to conceal?I imagine half the padawans know, by now, and a good many among the Masters.?

Obi-Wan looked mildly stunned. ?Half the?but how?? He demanded. ?I?m sure Qui-Gon wouldn?t have told?and the Council?? He stopped.

Garen raised an elegant eye-brow, nothing the first name usage?Obi-Wan had never referred to his Master by anything but his title, before. ?The Council?? He sat up in the water, interested. ?The Council knows???

Obi-Wan stared at him, in turn. ?So you don?t know it all,? he murmured."Why don't we talk about your missions, for a while?" He put forth.

Garen shook his head slowly, grinning. indicating clearly that they would not.?You may ask the Assistant Archivist about it, if you will, Obi-Wan. She informed her Master about the...Ischila, is it? And in any case, you can hardly blame her?a confrontation of this kind is like the Fast of Solitude?it?s noted in the Temple?s Record of Accomplishments. They can?t conduct a public enquiry, of course, but they?d dearly love to know how it goes. It?s something of a phenomenon, supposedly.? Garen made a wry face. ?I?ve been accosted five times since I landed here, asked discreetly if I knew anything about your latest.?

?I didn?t know it could be public knowledge.?

?It?s not a secret, either.? Garen trained his eyes on him. ?Besides, isn?t public scrutiny half the test??

Obi-Wan was silent.

?We understand if you don?t want to talk about it,? pronounced Bant, though curiosity edged her voice. After a pause, she continued. ?We didn?t know it involved the Council?I rather believed it was Master Qui-Gon?s idea. He?s known to be?? She stopped abruptly.

?Unorthodox, yes,? Obi-Wan smiled faintly. ?But even he can?t approve such a thing, without the Council?s consent.?

They sat silent, each occupied with their own thoughts.

?What does everyone say?? Obi-Wan asked, finally.

A smile touched Garen?

11. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Wow, that was heavy. Poor Obi-Wan. He still blames himself for Bruck.

I loved how Garen moved to defend his friend, though. And the younger Padawans were intriguing, in their way. You have a gift for drawing different characters swiftly and well.

Yep, Qui-Gon's going to be ticked. Obi definitely should not be out of bed, much less gamboling in the water!

Looking forward to more!

12. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Oh poor Obi-Wan. :( I actually cringed when those younger Padawans started speaking of Bruck and Telos. Your characterization skills were especially evident in this post; you drew such vivid individuals in the apprentices so quickly and deftly.

Garen and Bant were sweet, being so concerned. [face_blush] I hope silly Obi-Wan is able to come to his senses, although that doesn't seem like a possiblity just now. :(

Wonderful, engrossing post. =D=

13. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    All I can think of to say is... "Poor Obi!"

I hope he doesn't get in too much trouble.

And I really want to strangle those who said such nasty things about Obi!

Master! Why are they so mean to Obi!?

Still ever Devoted,
    Seven

14. nd_jedi

nd_jedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2005
    I'm so glad you're continuing this story, P_A. You have a real gift for depth of characterization and mental angst - very nicely done.

Obi-Wan drew a deep, shuddering breath, holding both palms to his head, trying in vain to ignore the rancor that appeared to have taken permanent residence there, and was now hacking into his skull. ?Enough,? he spoke, his voice shaking. ?Enough.?

Loved the metaphor, but what is happening to Obi-Wan?

15. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Poor Obi-Wan. I loved how Garen moved to interceed with his friend, like a mother hen defending her young. I can imagine just how unhappy the padawans were to be confronted with an angry Garen. Good job with Obi-Wan getting weak and having a headache and just being his stubborn self.

Loved it. So what is going on with him?

16. Khris0117

Khris0117 Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2005
    Oh, wow. Intense chapter. Loved Garen calmly rescuing his friend's honor. Great work. Update again soon.

17. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    :eek: It updated! You have no idea how long I've been waiting for this to pop up, and it remains absolutely wonderful! Poor Obi, still tortured about Bruck...

Great update! Your writing is just beautiful and it just keeps getting better the more I read! I hope you update again soon; I want to know how he does against that...well, marble thing. I can't go back to find the proper name...

Stormqueen

18. corellian-jedi

corellian-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    I'm starting to fall behind...8-} Real life can do that!

What is happening to Obi-Wan? Those dizzy spells can't be good!

I absolutely loved Bant and Garen in this chapter. They're such great friends. [:D] Poor Obi... Tell me I'm crazy ... but those curious mid-level apprentices are kind of sweet - on a twisted level. I mean, I can totally identify with them: the defiance and suspiciousness.

Do we get to meet Schen soon?

... off to read Crossroads now.

19. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Garen [face_love] - He was sweet defending Obi-Wan.

Ick, Obi-Wan doesn't seem well. He's going to be okay isn't he?

20. Just_Jill

Just_Jill Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I finished reading this yesterday, but I was so fried (babysitting two children - aside from my two) that I didn't dare try to review it. I figured I'd make absolutely no sense whatsoever (okay, less than usual).

This has been a delight. It's writing like yours that makes me want to give up (at least until I learn to write better). I'm anxiously watching to see what happens next.

Just Jill

21. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    P_A... for goodness sakes you sure now how to bring the drama. An excellent post, per usual. Love your Garen and Bant. What a treat to see them around again!

I'm curious to see what is wrong with Obi-Wan though. Is it just an unusual reaction to the Ischila... or have you been plotting something else?

When I saw an update on this I just about leapt out of my seat- I positively adore this story!

Wonderful job, again, and can't wait to read more.
    :)
    -sheleigh

22. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Poor Obi-Wan, that conversation just brought up a bunch of bad memories. :( And with him so weak already, no wonder he felt so faint. I love how Garen and Bant defended Obi. :D

Wonderful descriptions. Great job as always! I'd like to meet Schen, and I hope Qui won't be too hard on Obi for leaving.

23. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    "These things are difficult to conceal?I imagine half the padawans know, by now, and a good many among the Masters.?

Obi-Wan looked mildly stunned. ?Half the?but how?? He demanded. ?I?m sure Qui-Gon wouldn?t have told?and the Council?? He stopped.

Garen raised an elegant eye-brow, noting the first name usage?Obi-Wan had never referred to his Master by anything but his title, before.

Are you surprised that their relationship has grown, Padawan Muln? o_O

[:D] Thank you so much for continuing this!

I read the first part of it before I had my own email address, and couldn't comment... [face_frustrated]
    And then I lost track of it! :_|

When I found it today, I was ecstatic! [face_dancing]

I just reread the entire story, and know this will be one of my all time favorite fics! You have such a grasp of the characters, and I could take up a page in quotes if I were to attempt to go back, so I won't... ;)

More, much more, please! [face_batting]

@};- @};- @};- @};- @};-

24. River_Stone

River_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    Oh, Obi...[face_worried]

I enjoyed how you wrote the gaggle of Padawans (I especially liked how Garen put Yoda's in his place). Obi-Wan appears to be developing some dark tendencies (e.g. quick to anger) as a result of his battles with the sphere, and his fear and guilt also seem to be heightening. I would be very interested to see how he copes against such things, especially his constant assumption that he is not worthy.

I'm sure Qui-Gon is not going to be happy about Obi-Wan's disobedience. I'm worried that with all these out of control thoughts and emotions that Obi-Wan may say some things that he will regret and yet be powerless to stop it...

25. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Oops! missed an update!

Garen...[face_love] :*

Loved this chapter Princess!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.