Bye bye Big Three - Or how the EU needs to move on

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    No, no, no. Almost all the best EU stars someone other than the Big Three. I can't think of a major EU story I care about that involves the Big Three, except the Brian Daley Han Solo books and the occasional Marvel. Post-ROTJ stories of the Big Three are particularly awful.

The Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Empire is still my top EU stuff.

;-)

Shadows of the Empire is 4#
  2. Darth_Hydra Force Ghost

star 4
    At least Ben is doing stuff instead of sitting around on his ass all day unlike his gutless father. Luke can go from wanting to kill Vader to controling his emotions in just a few seconds but is still worried about going to Dark Side a few weeks after Mara's death? Bullshit. If that's all Luke has to offer then yeah, I say kill him and the sooner the better.
  3. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    I doubt any Luke fans consider that his real character.

It's just a make up creation of Del Ray to make their shavit characters look better.
  4. Darth_Hydra Force Ghost

star 4
    Real or not it's not making Luke look any better. What if this image continues for dozens of post-LOTF books? Is that something we really want? I know I don't. There were times when I really found reading the series a chore. Maybe it's the fans who need to move on and not the Big Three. I still hold out hope that we can get good stories from the Big Three like MF as well as new and exciting characters such as Seha Dorvald and Amellia. A few bad books, or an entire series, doesn't have to be the end of the post-ROTJ EU.
  5. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 7
    Shockingly, I'd like Big three novels where they don't suck.

I'm not adverse to new character materials, I just prefer serialized adventures.

Corran Horn would not be fun for me if he was a one shot character.

The video game characters are good because they have lots of material behind them.
  6. TuskenTommy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Count me -out-! I like reading the current arc WITH Luke,Han & Leia. Esp since Han & Leia are so much more interesting since Leia is the (skywalker)strong co-pilot..I used ot HATE Leia chapters but i can't recall the last time i havent looked forward to them...

--Thread starter, did i hear you right, more Medstar, less Anakin/ObiWan??? good grief.. Maybe Less Obi/Anakin but No-way more MedStar..

---For the record though, i LOVE the idea of some books with the big three in the backround and have some books with Kyp, or maybe Corran piloting again etc..Or anything interesting..A perfect way to keep the big three around but focus on other characters etc....

--Hint::Dont pass the years by every new book and age isn't a issue anymore...........!
  7. marmkid Force Ghost

star 4
    i agree
    i still like having the big 3 around
    besides, there needs to be a transition to the next generation anyway
    they tried that with the njo, but then just dropped the ball it seems

there needs to just be books where its not just the big 3 together solving the galaxy's problems
    i dont see why other charactors cant be involved
    Luke is the only jedi who can go on missions?
    he has to by himself all the time?
    Kyp cant go with him?
    Corran cant do anything?
    as far as we know, no one else has been doing anything at all
  8. Volderon Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree, what's with Luke always going on missions by himself? Where's the rest of the Jedi Order? I was reading LOTF: Tempest and while I was reading the battle with Luke had with Lumiya, the whole time I was going...this is utter garbage. You've got cyborg woman with not enough human in her to call upon the force, yet she still has more energy at the end of the fight as opposed to Luke (most powerful Jedi) who's cells are boiling (as it seems to happen whenever Luke is using the force) and he's getting tired. WHAT! Two words...complete garbage. If Authors conntinue to portray Luke like that...then it's better to kill him.
  9. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Would a mechanical cyborg not be weakened by human stamina? Realistically speaking, as Robimus pointed out the other day in a swordfight thread, how many minutes can you really swing a saber and move about before tiring?
  10. JaySkywalker01 Jedi Master

star 4
    His fight with Raynar and Lomi Plo was much more satisfying. I think Lumiya being so much trouble was more for the sake of plot. Luke should have been able to handle her fairly easily at this point.
  11. Volderon Force Ghost

star 4
    I guess I agree with that, because Luke then gives Jacen a good beating a couple books later.
  12. dizfactor Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Those are close to the bottom of my all-time list of EU.
  13. Volderon Force Ghost

star 4
    What's at the top of your list? The Crystal Star? TTT was great, it actually felt like Star Wars. Luke is only around sixty years old, so I can't imagine any books in the future not being about them or sliding them to the background. This is the reason I read the EU, I read it because the Original Trilogy is amazing and because Luke, Han and Leia are amazing.
  14. dizfactor Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The bulk of the prequel-era comics (particularly the Ostrander/Duursema collaborations), the KOTOR comics and games, the Legacy comics, Traitor, and Cloak of Deception. Some other stuff, too.

Not to me.
  15. CoppiceThorne Jedi Knight

star 2
    I can't see myself ever getting sick of the big three in novels (new or otherwise). Once they are gone, there'll be no people quite like them. That's why I want to make the most out of this time, enjoying that they are still alive. Not that SW can't live without them (SW is a big and diverse galaxy, after all!), but rather that they are very unique/special characters. I really like Ben, and can see him being a bit of a Luke-like character (though of course, being his own person as well). Hopefully he will stick around for awhile. I suppose not everyone likes him...but I think he's nice. :)

I like reading a lot of different sides to SW -- whatever exists I'm bound to see something in it to like. There'll always be an array of wild and wonderful characters to grow fond of. However, I would kind of like the Skywalker and Solo threads, and even Calrissian, to still exist thousands of years after LOTF. Growing wistful here: I think I'll miss Luke's presence most of all (when I look to the future), and I wish there could be an endless string of his spark -- they don't have to be all the same as him, but a little spark of his, living on, forever...
  16. Oissan Force Ghost

star 6
    I would love to see more big 3 stuff, as long as they are handled correctly. Stuff like TTT is brilliant, all the new books are not. Go back to shorter stories that focus on character, not those long 9-18 books series which jump around way too much.
    There is no need to always go forward in time, no one forces them to go into a period where Luke, Han and Leia are too old for such adventures.

If you have to dump down Luke because otherwise he is too powerful, just go back in time into a period where he wasn't all-powerful. Then you don't need to come up with absurd explanations on why the grandmaster is stumbling around like he has no idea what he is doing.
    If they can't get the big three right, then leave them alone and focus on other characters. Don't turn them into something they are not, just to have them in the story. The old Republic offers plenty of things the authors could explore, it's not that hard to create beloved characters. They may not be Luke, Han or Leia, but it definately beats having characters who wear their names but act nothing like they should.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.