main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Bye, Dave.

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, May 13, 2015.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    No not THAT one.

That one. Next week it's over. Another indicator that age is creeping up on me. I don't have a fav moment, but I always did like the Velcro suit.

Kaufmann and Jerry the King Lawler. Yes, it was a work.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    pretty much the only time Dave has been funny in the last 5 years was his segment on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. He had a great run, really glad to see him go.

3. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I don't think I've ever laughed at this. Not even a smirk. Cultural differences, I guess.

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    His top 10 list was never funny.
    But he was an amiable chap. It's like old furniture you're used to. You're dying to replace it but it's still hard to let go of.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The best thing he did was give Warren Zevon airtime.

heels1785 likes this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Norm MacDonald ended the show last night brilliantly:

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I wouldn't be surprised if this happens, but I really, really hope Jay Leno isn't Dave's final guest.

8. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Leno is a backstabber posing as a goody two shoes. A lot of people in the industry hate his guts.

darth ladnar and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Watched Dave on NBC for years. Watched him very little when he moved to CBS.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Too true, but it would undoubtedly bring big ratings on Dave's last night, unfortunatley.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Letterman and Leno are friends, but not like bestest buddies. Leno was approached by NBC to take Carson's place and Dave was considered too. They took Leno. Letterman went on Carson afterwards and talked about it.

Leno's ratings sucked but he changed the format a bit and took over and his ratings soared.

Leno was a friendly guest on Howard Stern but Leno "stole" one of Stern's employees without telling anyone else and Stern was not happy with this as it came out of the blue.

Leno easily survived this but his ratings declined and with the giant fiasco with Conan Leno's bad rep shot up by an order of magnitude.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Bye, Andrew.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  13. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Kudos to all those noble talkshow hosts throughout history who helped make this world a better place.

14. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    [​IMG]

If you love late night and have never seen this HBO movie you're missing out. Its also a book.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    George Clooney doesn't want Dave to go.
    [​IMG]

16. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    never watched letterman, but someone once bought me a "pants" t-shirt they bought at his show, which i love
    [​IMG]

Pensivia likes this.
  17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    oops, clearly this jpeg only comes in xxl

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Bill Murray will be Dave's last guest. Apparently he was his first guest when he moved to CBS. And Bob Dylan will also be on the show.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    That had been the speculation that Murray might be Dave's last guest before all the talk about Leno started.

20. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I've been thinking, and I could see Dave totally pulling a Carson with his last show tomorrow. Just him at his desk, with old show clips, and one last Top Ten list, then just waving good - bye at the end and fade to black.

22. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I think they said tomorrow will be full of surprises but am not sure. Might have been tonight.
    I've suspended all other reading and watching for the last couple of weeks.

It's been five star television with the tributes, old stand up friends, retrospectives, etc.

23. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    The old NBC show was almost an obsession for me and some of my close friends back in high school in the mid-80s. We made our own Top Ten lists, created Late Night-themed photos, and passed Dave-related notes in class. I fell in love with Dave then and have loved him ever since. True, he often seemed disengaged and mediocre during these last several years, but even then sometimes there were glimpses of the old Dave, like when the whole Jay/Conan thing was going on a few years back:

and especially picking up at about 3:13 in this one:

Also, the serious moments from the show were so memorable...I'll never forget watching Dan Rather struggle to hold back his tears on Dave's first post-9/11 show (the first of any of the late night shows to air after the attack). And seeing Dave share major events in his personal life like his heart surgery and becoming a father late in life was very touching.

A high point for me was finally getting to attend a taping of the show a few years back. Even got to meet and talk to Rupert Jee at the Hello Deli next door!:p

And his last few shows over the last couple of weeks have been great. I'm looking forward to seeing what he will do with his last show tonight, but I am also really sad to see him go. Definitely the end of an era for this longtime fan.:(

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I tuned in to Letterman for the first time in nearly a decade to see Bill Murray. Still adorable.

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

I don't think any tribute will top this.