main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo BYU students

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by spoo, Jun 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    You don't mind if someone else cuts in on the conversation right?

I wish I could go to BYU but I'll be going to Utah State when I actually decide on what it is I want to do with my life.

2. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    I was hoping someone would cut in! I felt like we were hogging the forum here.

Utah state eh? Well, appearantly that means we have to be enemies, or somehting. I've heard that the rivalry between those schools is fairly intense.

So do you mean you're not going there this year?

3. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    I've been attending SLCC for the past two years trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. Why should I spend so much money on my generals when I can get them done cheaper at the community college.

I have friends up there as well. The U and BYU are enemies, not Utah State.

4. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    "The U"?

5. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    The "U" is The University of Utah, the Runnin' Utes, based in Salt Lake City. This is the REAL rivalry that everyone talks about.

Utah State, the Aggies, are in Logan and HAVE renewed their very old rivalry with BYU, especially in Football. Every year BYU and Utah State play each other in football on the FRIDAY night before LDS General Conference. The winning school of the game gets to keep a special wagon wheel that has been passed between the schools for decades. Needless to say, BYU has kept the wagon wheel for the last several years! ;)

Hope this helps,

6. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    I was just going to say that - USU and BYU ARE rivals. I can vouch for that. I have one cousin at USU and another at BYU.

Then there's me: location wise - I live right between the two schools. I almost went to USU but they don't have a computer animation major, so that's why I'm going to the Y.

7. DarthJago

DarthJago Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2000
    Yeah Utah State and BYU are rivals, but Utah-BYU, and UofU-USU are bigger rivals.

8. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Spoo, I don't know if anyone has told you yet but when you get to Utah you will notice that like other places we to talk differently. We don't pronounce most of out letters in words. It's hard for me to discribe you would probably just have to hear it for yourself.

9. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    Well this is an interesting subject to start talking about. It's kind of fun though.

Yep, we definitely talk different. I think the one thing we can explain is that when we say our T's it sounds like a D. A good example is the word mountain. We say it mou'n. (If that makes sense.) We kind of skip over the t and make it an "ow" sound.

Hmm...I just read what I wrote and it doesn't make much sense. Oh well, I'll post it anyway.

10. Keighvin

Keighvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 30, 2001
    There's a very particular set of glottal stops and dipthong tweaks to the Utahn dialect. It's a very lazy way of speaking mostly with the lips instead of the entire mouth and throat - "bag" comes out "bæg", internal T's are never pronounced (Toran-Kal's example) - even a lot of trailing T's are skipped. There's a whole list of subtleties I won't go into. It makes people sound all country-bumpkinish without being southern. Not everyone falls prey to the accent, you'll hear it most pronounced on women in their late teens / early twenties who've lived in Utah all their lives.

11. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    And it seems very obvious to anyone that's never heard it before.
    When I went to Alaska we met some people that said "You're from Utah right?"
    We said "Yes, how'd you know?"
    They knew we were because of our accent. Its really weird. I think its cool though.

12. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Nothin but a drawl, my friends!
    I got to Utah every two years for family reunion, I'm well aware of how it sounds. It's really not that different, the only thing that I notice is the "bag"/"bæg" thing. And it bugs me!

I guess I'll have to put up.
    (I think everyone in North america does the "T" thing, don't they?)

I'll be there in a few days, we're leaving tomorrow, driving to Calgary (in Alberta (one of our Provinces)) to get my brother and visit, then driving South through Idaho.

13. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Guys,

There is a drawl that is unique to Utah, but not all of us who grew up here in Utah speak with the "Utah Drawl." :eek:

It is true, as Spoo mentioned, that most North Americans pronounce a "D" sound where there should be a "T". It's not just Utahns.

Here are some examples...

Natalie (sounds like Nadalie)
    Betty (sounds like Beddy)
    Digital (sounds like Digidal)
    Total (sounds like Todal)
    Footage (sounds like Footdage)

If you do say the "T" in the above words, then your pronunciation is more British.

Many people in the western US do drop the "T" sound completely when pronouncing "mountain" in a lazy form of speech as mentioned by Toran-Kal. Once again, not everyone here pronounces that way.

It's all variations on "The Queen's English" any way you look at it.

At least we can understand each other. ;)

Later,

14. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    I have tried very hard to pronounce my T's because my sister made fun of me one time. I'm getting better at it. Like any of you really care right.

15. Keighvin

Keighvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 30, 2001
    Of course we do! It's very difficult to overcome, most people are largely unaware of their method of speech. Consciously altering it after so many years of developing patterns unaware is a daunting task; you're basically trying to break *subconscious* habits by making them conscious. We should all have a listen some time to see how you're coming along.

16. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I may go to BYU when I get out of high school, but I live close.

17. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    I have overcome many subconciouse things in my life. It's very hard but once you start to listen for it, it becomes easy. I do slip at times. [face_blush]

18. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    hehe, I'm remembering an english class where out of nowhere the class ditz raised her hand and said, "Mrs Broderick, can you say Bag?"
    "Why"
    "Just say bag"
    She's from california, and everybody said she had a "British" accent.... Oh well

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Hey! I'm a BYU student, new to this section of the JC boards, but a sophomore at the Y. (For those of you at USU, that was my first choice, but I had to set an example for my younger siblings and go to BYU. GO AGGIES!) Anyway, I'm an English Major who spends the minutes between classes writing SW in her "scribblepad", where I plot out all my stories. As for the accent thing, I am well aware of how hard it is to overcome accents. I was born in Texas, but grew up in Boston and when people learn I'm from Boston, they ask me if I "pahk the cah in hahvahd yahd." Without fail. ::rolls eyes.:: I don't have a Boston accent, other than saying my phone number is "eight nine faw seven seven seven three" and saying that we have the "Wustah Stake" in our state. I live in Helaman with a girl from Arizona. She's another "unaccented." Hey, do we JedYs ever do anything? Anyone interested in it? Is anyone going to the fanfilm thing next friday?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.