main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics C-3PO #1: The Phantom Limb (One-Shot)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    No, they were rubbing their hands together and thinking about all the money that could be made from new, slightly-different C-3PO action figures.

[​IMG]

2. KBGreedo

KBGreedo Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 27, 2015
    I liked this issue. Very unique art, which I wasn't 100% on board with but, overall, a fun, touching story. The most unique thing about the comic was that C-3PO does have occasional flashbacks to his pre-memory wipe life. One of my favorite Star Wars images of all time is this panel from a (now Legends) comic book in which Vader meets 3PO for the first time after the memory wipe:

[​IMG]

It'd be really cool to see that tiny bit of info regarding 3PO's flashbacks followed upon. After all, now that Vader is gone, there's no in-story reason to keep the memory wipe intact.

SilentGuy66 and Gamiel like this.
  3. fatbabies

fatbabies Jedi Padawan

Dec 3, 2015
    This issue was some heavy stuff, hit me right in the feels. I fully approve.

DelRiego likes this.
  4. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010

This. I wound up purchasing the issue as I already have the Shattered Empire trade, and don't see a reason to purchase the hardcover too.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    so question, the events of the one-shot take place before this so this mean that certain parts of this LEGO episode are canon?

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It appears to be a humorous adaptation of a canonical event, much like the Lego Star Wars video games.

Taalcon likes this.
  7. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Read the first 2 pages and stopped. I couldn't get pass the artwork and terrible dialogue. Maybe one day I'll finish it.

8. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    It was okay. It was very similar to the Rebels episode The Forgotten Droid

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I really liked this issue, I thought the art was unique and suitably bizarre for a story that had a fantastical vibe to it. Thematically, it's about the tragedy of memory wipes in droids that have something sort of resembling consciousness but their utilitarian nature has their very identity wiped away on a regular basis. Even the droid who had the red arm underneath his black paint had no idea that he was red under there. Also it had a lot of monsters tearing droids apart which is always fun. And I dug how the construction droid's final words were proclaiming itself a construction droid (like all of it's lines were). It's a very sad story, actually, that the most forgotten beings in the galaxy actually do have depths of kinda emotion and kinda heart. Maybe. It has a memorial feeling, which is appropriate. The title "The Phantom Limb" was great too as in Threepio is missing a huge chunk of his personal history from the Old Republic. and the Phantom Limb is not just Threepio's missing arm but they're missing a very piece of themselves on a regular basis they might remember. Might.

I think it's actually something of a darkly philosophical issue that follows from Threepio's line "We seem to be made to suffer, it's our lot in life"

10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    As for the odd fact that Threepio "would know what Courscant is" (which did throw me for a loop), I think you have to look at it from the POV of his not-entirely-wiped memory wipe. Threepio has probably been to Courscant in the intervening 50 years and would know what it looks like it since his memory wipe at the end of the Clone Wars, but what he's remembering now is hazy and ill-defined, which is a huge theme of this comic. So it's not really "he doesn't know what Courscant is" but more "he doesn't know what his memory of Courscant is". I think the big theme of this book is "droids are sentient beings too" but they're tragically used as cargo, transportation and reformatted into spies and servants, etc., but there is a "being" in there somewhere.

11. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Droid rights and philosophy is my favorite underexplored subject in the SW universe, so I loved this issue. Some of the dialogue was a bit clunky, but the discussions of memory wipes and the droids lot in life were spot on. Hope this topic gets explored further in future stories.

12. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Thought it was terrible, one of the worst of Marvel's new issues. With the horrible artwork and dull dialogue, I couldn't get absorbed into it. I'm not sure what I was expecting but for a scene in TFA to be created for this, I was expecting better.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Other way around - this was created to (badly) explain the TFA scene.

14. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I keep meaning to look up which issue that is. Do you remember?
    Never mind I found it. its star wars tales 6

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, this was an odd lil' fellow. The art is definitely weird- it's oddly colorful and almost psychedelic at times. I'm ok with that- the Droids comics have often had stranger art than more mainstream SW titles. It did kind of get annoying how often the characters were facing "at camera" while they were talking. It gave it a talking heads effect I didn't care for.

The overall group of droids was pretty interesting- loved the construction droid and Omri's self-analysis. the rust humor exchange was actually quite good too.

However, for a comic whose main purpose/selling point was the telling of how Threepio got his TFA red arm, the actual way that red arm entered the story was kinda confusing. It took me a couple rereads of that scene to understand what was being suggested (at first it seems like they're revealing something that was always there in the story but hidden by the art style/composition until that point- with the arm hidden behind other droids or in shadow).

If you want to get poetic, with Artoo in sleep mode, it could be seen like a part of 3PO was missing- represented literally by the mismatched arm. Once Artoo woke up, 3PO was whole again and restored a matching arm.

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    So I just picked up the C-3P0 one-shot in celebration of Free Comic Book Day.

That was a fun read, and a fun way to tell a story. I hope we get another one of those in the lead-up to The Last Jedi.

Dr. Steve Brule and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    C-3PO: The Phantom Limb was the first thing I read from the new canon, and I was very impressed with it.

Like most people, I thought the red arm was just a way for Disney to sell new 3PO toys and merchandise, and an eventual off shoot story to explain how it happened.

But having read it, my cynicism about the whole thing pretty much faded. I have to say that it works quite well as a simple and touching story about the droids and their role in the universe. The artwork is great. The story is great, and it doesn't try to be any bigger than it needs to be and works as a simple character piece.

18. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Phantom Limb still remains the best of the new Marvel comics by a long shot. In a single issue it has more pathos and more exploration of an OT character's personality and history than any of the multi-dozen-issue books. Plus it's a much better emulation of Moebius than those TCW episodes that claimed to be an homage to him.

19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So, I just played the Phantom Limb mission for Lego TFA, though I haven't read the comic. I'm assuming mostly everything happens about the same? Although in the game, O-MR1 is still alive and C-3PO doesn't notice...and he just gets left behind. That seems pretty silly...it doesn't happen in the comic, right? And why does he walk out into the acid rain to begin with...why not just wait for the rain to stop?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  20. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It's explained in the comic. And the LEGO games tend to alter the deaths of various characters; this story especially is pretty existential, so not the best material for a straight adaptation into a kids' game.

BigAl6ft6 and Alpha-Red like this.
  21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Huh, well being left behind like that seems like an even worse fate than just being killed outright.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    his walking into the rain in the comic is a pretty triumphant, heartfelt moment, the Lego level treats it as a gag as the series is wont to do.

23. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Just read it again last night, after three years, and it's still an amazing story. I loved it. Very much in the spirit of the old Droids comics from Dark Horse, and I enjoyed the philosophical aspect. I have no idea why anybody could hate this comic. I mean, what were you expecting? It's a C-3PO-centric one-shot about how he got his red arm. Simple as that.