main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST C-3PO and R2-D2 in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RepublicKnight95, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RepublicKnight95

RepublicKnight95 Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2014
    In the original trilogy, C-3PO and R2-D2 were two of the main characters in all three films and were featured massively. The the prequel trilogy, they were no longer main characters and were more co-main characters, and C-3PO was barely even in The Phantom Menace. I really hope Disney decide to put them back in their main characters spots again in the next three movies, what do you think?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm pretty sure they'll have a big part to play, probably getting an upgrade or two. They're quite old at that point, but they'll certainly keep going.

Come to think of it, we don't really have a thread about the role of the droids in ST, if I'm not mistaken? This could be it, maybe.

Ryus, RepublicKnight95 and T-R- like this.
  3. RepublicKnight95

RepublicKnight95 Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2014

I checked to make sure there wasn't already one before I made this and I couldn't find anything.

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    A rare quality these days :p

Anyway, I would like to see 3PO actually save the day personally for once. He's usually just relaying information to R2, who does all the work. It would be nice to see a heroic moment for 3PO, all by himself.

5. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I think they will.
    That is what was clearly missing in the PT that made it - at times - less of a Star Wars movie.

If JJ and KK want to bring back the fun and good times of the OT - then R2 and 3P0 will be a big part of it.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Since they are such a part of SW, they probably need to be in it. But with all of the other pieces this movie will take on (the Big 3, maybe Chewie/Lando/etc., the new heroes, explanation of what is going on in the new Republic, the new Villain (s), etc.), I see them having a minimal role.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  7. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Disagree.

With all the new characters that were introduced in ROTJ at the time - the droids still had an upfront role.

8. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I'm sure they will be there and still be important.

9. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Wasn't one of George's original ideas about Star Wars to tell the story through the eyes of the droids?

10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    ROTJ? Don't see that as much of a comparison to Episode 7. The main characters had been introduced 2 movies before that; we will never have seen the main characters for the ST, AND we will have the main OT characters on top of that.

I think they will be visually noticeable in Ep. 7, but not so much a part of the story as individual characters like they were in ANH.

11. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    Yes

And in other news, Water is still Wet.

12. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Not so much as "trough the eyes of the droids" but they do carry the story in the same manner as the two peasants carry the story in Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress".

13. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I would like to think that C-3PO and R2-D2 are a shoo-in for inclusion in big roles in the ST, but, realistically speaking, it must be getting more and more difficult--I would imagine--with the OT cast's likely return, and the upcoming new talent to be featured, to all have roles in the films. Hypothetically speaking, there will be Han, Leia, Luke, Chewie, R2, 3PO and on top of that the up-in-the-air faces to maybe appear are Obi-Wan, Anakin/Vader, Yoda, Mace, Boba, Lando, Mothma, Ackbar, Wedge, Palpatine, etc. in addition to the new heroes + villains. There are very few formulas imo that could serve to make 3PO + R2's involvement a sizable portion of the ST, and one of those formulas is the OT cast having a larger role in Episode 7 (as rumored) whilst the 'future' talents take a back seat for a time.

It is a toss-up, really, but seeing as to how the SW saga is told through the narratives of said droids it would make total sense for them to carry a hefty chunk of the story in some way, shape or form.

14. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    You are correct. He even went so far as to say in an interview from the early/mid 80's that at the end of IX it would flash forward in time to the droids telling the story to children.

15. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    IMHO, if they aren't involved it would be missing them.

JainaSoloYJK and purplerain like this.
  16. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Absolutely.

17. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I would love it if they were less gimmicky than the PT. And for the love of God, no flying R2.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    What I really hope for with the droids is that they get to follow the main characters on their adventure like in the OT. Artoo is really only a part of the story in any significant way in Ep. I and he's pretty much absent in Ep. II until they go to Tatooine and Ep. III once they free the chancellor and as for Threepio he only takes part in the adventure in Ep. II and is pretty much a background character in Ep. III. I understand that the way the films were written made it pretty hard for them to play any significant role but I hope that changes now. Artoo should be handed down to Luke's son as well.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  19. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    In the OT, C-3PO and R2-D2 seem to get the spotlight at the expense of many other things. I would love a return to that formula.

I dare say it: It's not Star Wars without the two of them.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Please please please yes.

21. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    [​IMG]

Artoo's ready and lookin' shiny! There seems to be a real conscientious effort to bring back an OT feel to the ST, at least that's what I can glean from JJ's comments thusfar. I think it's a good assumption that we'll see a lot of the droids in the ST, Ep 7 especially.

22. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    The PT showed that it is hard to make the 2 droids central characters, indeed in the OT their roles decrease with each film.

Nevertheless, I think they will get prominent roles to begin with. They may even be the first characters on screen in EP VII.
    As has already been mentioned already there are a lot of characters and plot points that will have to be introduced in EP VII. The writers have their work cut out for them.

23. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't remember exactly where I heard this but George Lucas has mentioned that the droids will be the only characters to be in all of the saga.

Bennihana and JediKnightOB1 like this.
  24. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    C3PO was also barely in Revenge of the Sith ......I think they will probably follow the big 3 around & if separated R-2 will go with Luke much like the OT.......

25. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    I've long thought that whenever the saga does indeed end, the droids should be involved somehow in the final shot. Perhaps the two of them looking on at a new generation being born..or off into the stars...with the prolific shot being C3PO resting his hand atop R2D2's dome from behind as the camera pans out.

Fade to black and John William's score.

They were the first characters we met, and, in my opinion, should be the last to be seen, whenever that end comes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.