main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

C-3PO

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Grand_Theft_Autumn, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zillas_revenge2

zillas_revenge2 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    Those of us who have followed Star Wars from the beginning know that Lucas has said the story is actually being "told" in a way through the eyes of the only characters who were there for everything: THE DROIDS!!!

2. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Whoever said Bail was nall the prequels, he was not in Episode I.

The reason GL put R2 and 3PO in the prequels was because he always envisioned this great, epic, 6-movie, galaxy-spanning saga to be told through their point of view. the POV of hte two lowest-class citizens in the galaxy. That's why.

I still think they should comp in a ten-year-old Han Solo just running across the screen on Kashyyyk. All it wuold have to be is a te-year-old kid with brown hair wearing a white shirt, black pants with a red or yellow dotted stripe, and a black vest.

Slimy!

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    First let me correct this first mistake.
    Bail Organa (played by Jimmy Smits) is only seen in Episode II and Episode I. At no time is he ever in The Phantom Menace.

Star Wars is not science fiction. Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Heinlein, Frank Herbert, Star Trek--that is Science Fiction! Star Wars is space opera--fantasy. It is based on Joseph Campbell mythology.

It isn't supposed to be realistic. Hyperspace, lightsabers, cloaking devices, mystical energy fields, super powers, cyborgs, etc...all very surreal. Yet you all complain about the characters being inter-connected, and how it takes away from the realism. The fact is that there is no realism. If the audience can believe in the all powerful Force, clone armies, and half men/half machines--then they should have no problem with the characters being inter-connected. I find it mildly amusing that some of you are even discussing the realism of Star Wars and how the prequels destroyed it.

The fact is that Star Wars is an epic being observed by two droids. They are always there, watching the events--and sometimes influencing them. Since the very beginning, when Lucas talked about the prequels--he mentioned that they would be there. They give the entire saga a sense of continuity. Six films is a large series, and with the droids constantly there--it sort of binds the saga into one comprehensive thing.

-Seldon

4. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Thanks Darth Seldon, that's what I wanted to say earlier. Instead, I let my hate flow through me and fell to the dark side. I've since been redeemed, though. [face_peace]

5. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Oh, for Pete's sake! I don't care how fanatasy it is, LOOK AT IT!! It's afreakin's science fiction piture. Sound it out, dummy! SCI-ENCE FIC-TION! I'm pretty sure it never happened, so that pretty much makes it scientific fiction.

Slimy!

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    To be perfectly honest, there is nothing scientific about it at all. Traditional Science Fiction usually takes modern science and adds a new fictional dimension to it. A perfect example would be Jurassic Park. Genetic research exists in our world--but it is expanded in a fictional way and thus the result is Science Fiction.

Star Wars takes place in outer-space. Many people associate space with Science Fiction. This however is a quick assumption. Star Wars isn't science fiction at all. You can call it space fantasy, space mythology, space opera, but to use science fiction as a term to describe it--is to use the term incorrectly.

-Seldon

7. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    I agree in it not being Sci-Fi. I also might be the only one who eventually liked the appearance of Chewy. At first I thought it was lame and eye candy for OT loyalists. hahaha! But I like that they were "important" in the war and two the Republic. Some say it shrinks the universe and is too coincedental. Yoda says he has good relations with them. This doesnt mean they are best friends. The U.S. has relations with several countries but our leaders arent buddy, buddy with them(minus maybe the exception of Blair)The last scene were Yoda looks sad leaving Chewy and Tarful I believe is because he knows that because they are warriors they will fight the new Empire and due to numbers die. This adds validity to me that they would have been enslaved. They see the clones turn on the Jedi, knowing the Jedi they then know who the true enemy is. I think this expands the universe if anything because it shows the Empire had oppositions in many places.

I also would have liked to see Mon Motha and Admiral Akbar. Oh well.

8. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    Mon was in it.

I don't remember her part, but I remember the actress who was cast to play her character.

9. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2005
    I beleive the question we have to ask now is, will he go back and add the force-ghost of general tarfull to the end of ROTJ[face_laugh]

10. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    barely. Hoping more "rebellion formation" scenes will be in DVD

11. Aeneas_Falco

Aeneas_Falco Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2005
    "Those of us who have followed Star Wars from the beginning know that Lucas has said the story is actually being "told" in a way through the eyes of the only characters who were there for everything: THE DROIDS!!!"

They still weren't needed. Surely a galxy as advanced as the one portrayed in the Star Wars saga would have no shortage of historians?

I tend to think the inclusion of the droids in the PT only created plot holes. Or at least, if they were going to appear in the films their roles should have been reduced. Perhaps it would have been better to make the droids the property of Bail Organa from the beginning, rather than giving them a personal connection to Anakin.

12. Lynch69

Lynch69 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    R2 is fine, he's the MVP of the Star Wars heroes. But 3PO is useless throughout the entire PT. and should have been introduced to R2 on Bails ship at the end.

13. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004
    C-3P0 was little more than a nuisance in the PT. Oh, and the puns were pretty bad. "oh, this is such a drag"

14. Sanjiro

Sanjiro Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    the "such a drag" part bugs me only because it's too modern to be in star wars. i always thought of the movies as being made in the 30s or 40s and the term "drag" i think wasn't used until the 60s. but maybe i'm wrong.

what 3PO should have said: "This is all your fault." that would have been perfect.

i liked 3PO being in the prequels. it all makes sense 1-6. it's just when you're looking at it backwards does it look like too much of a coincedence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.