main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

C-IV MEMORIES (and speculations on C-V)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm refreshing TFN front page a lot today. :p

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Doesn't matter where it will be. I have to be there. Meeting others from these boards is what made it all worth while. [face_love]

3. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    YAY! [face_dancing]

Now if we could just find out where and exactly when...
    I'm only going to try and go if it's in Indy or Chicago; for Indy I'd need to transfer to only one bus (via the Amtrak Train), while for Chicago there's a one-way route from my hometown to the Windy City. :D Depending on the cost I may try and go wherever it is, as long as there's a Greyhound/Amtrak station there...only I REFUSE to go to Florida in summer! [face_not_talking] Also I'll be dead before anyone gets me onto a commercial jet. They're going to start charging for oxygen soon.

4. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I remember many months back there was some discussion of the McCormick convention center versus Rosemont in Chicago. I think I was siding with Rosemont then but McCormick is actually quite a bit bigger and almost right in the heart of the city so I'm thinking that McCormick would be a more likely location.

That said, I'm feeling fairly certain that Sansweet is coming to WizardWorld Chicago this year to announce Chicago as the host for C5 next Memorial Day weekend at McCormick...but don't quote me on that (unless I'm right :D ).

Of course, I also said I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't announce C5 at SDCC. And I was :p
    (...well, it was announced but not quite what we wanted...)

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    MSP is a Delta/NW 'hub' (which would make me LMAO if it were there - but I'll keep an ear out for any 'convention rates') but I really think it's a toss up between the two - I'm actually hoping for Chicago though.

6. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Chicago is a nice hub city, so it's not an unreasonable choice. But are the facilities there available for the dates that Lucasfilm might want? Some of those places may be reserved years in advance for large events. Though in this economy there could be cancellations, too.

I'm not horribly disappointed about not having a location for CV, but people do need time to plan for it:

- time to save money, especially if you want to bring your family
    - some people have jobs where they have to request leave time 6 mo to a year in advance
    - time to avoid conflicts like family reunions, weddings, graduations, etc. -- people's calendars fill up and the early things get first priority

Unless they plan on having CV in the fall of 2010 they shouldn't delay too much longer or it will start getting harder for people to come. And who would be managing CV anyway?

7. JayTee_Erricck

JayTee_Erricck Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    To Everyone,

I found the link to the info page on The Force dot net. Wanted to post it here in case anyone hasn't seen it.

http://www.theforce.net/celebration/story/SDCC_Celebration_V_Confirmed_For_2010_125164.asp

Wow. Chicago. That would have been the PERFECT reason for me to finally visit the "Windy City". I've always wanted to.

To Lufta Shif,

Hello, my friend! I'm glad you still check in here. I haven't been good about doing so regularly.

Sadly, I do believe loan & credit debt precludes me from being able to attend CV. However, I think it was "Michael Westen" (from the t.v. show "Burn Notice") that said something to the effect of, "Retreat doesn't mean giving up. It's just a way of rallying your resources against your enemy".

In this case, my enemy is being poor and I will try to rally my resources for Celebration VI. Return of the Jedi is my favorite Star Wars movie of all & I just can't see missing CVI.

May the Force be with us.

Jay Tee Erricck
    http://www.rebellegionhawaii.com

P.S. Lufta Shif, I will write to you soon! And if you make it to C5, I hope our fellow Rebel Legionnaires will help to make you feel welcome.

8. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    Just some wild musing on my part but McCormick in Chicago has a theatre attached to it that would be perfect for the Music of Star Wars. That would be sweet ;)

9. Darth_Ravenger

Darth_Ravenger Jedi Master star 1

Oct 29, 2002
    What the heck happened to the old drop down arrow menu that used to be here to find this forum for cons? Now I have to practically search thru a maze to find it.
    Did the site just up and suddenly change the format?

10. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Nope, unless you haven't posted since it became part of "Celebrations and Conventions." Be there for a while, actually.

As far as future conventions go -- I overhead Steve talking to Kyle Newman at C-C. From what I could hear, it sounded like there are plans for future Celebrations in the States, but offsite Celebrations (like Japan and Europe) will be widely spaced, i.e., we'll have a Celebration 2010 in the States, but not another offsite for a while. Steve sounded liked that was all up in the air. These kinds of things are really hard to plan, and they're not up for one for a long while.

11. Capt-SithPaark

Capt-SithPaark Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 24, 2004
    So, w/ the WizardWorld Chicago event coming up (Aug 6-9) and Sansweet in attendance ... What are the chances that he could announce the C5 location while in (and as) the Windy city?

12. JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY

JEDI-KNIGHT-JAY Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2003
    Wasn't C4 was heavy rumored to be somewhere beside LA and then boom, LA was announced? I got a feeling this is going to be same way.

13. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Yeah, pretty much. Although those of us out here knew about the site inspection, so unless something untoward happened, it was going to be L.A.

14. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Yes, before both CIII and CIV there were confirmations from people in the know well before it was officially announced, we haven't had anything like that this time around.

15. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    And I think, Obi Anne, that that may very well be because it is going back to a city that it has been in before, so there is no need for a site visit. Otherwise, just as with L.A., we'd hear about the site inspection. Or Steve and Mary put the fear of God into a bunch of people, so they wouldn't talk :cool:. I don't think they have quite that much pull <g>, but you never know.

16. Capt-SithPaark

Feb 24, 2004
    Read these comments in other Forums (both from Chicago)-
    I just heard from a member of the press at Chicago who said that yesterday Sansweet told him there would be no Celebration announcement but that there would be "something new"

... and this from the Gentle Giant forum -
    I talked to Steve Sansweet today at Chicago comic con. I asked about CV, and all he said is that it's next summer and they do not know where and when. He was very nice. He also told me that he has a new book coming out in October

17. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Which is the same thing he told all of us at Comic-Con, so why anyone thought an announcement would be made at another venue is beyond me....

18. Capt-SithPaark

Feb 24, 2004
    Chicago Comic-Con Update

Jimmy Mac from The ForceCast sends this (Celebration related) info foward, based on Steve Sansweet's Star Wars Presentation from Chicago Comic-Con

Steve debuted a new video that showcased the history of Star Wars fandom and the past Celebrations. This nice video featured material from all the Celebrations and ended with the new logo for Celebration V spotlighting Boba Fett. Steve told the Chicago audience they were the first to see the logo outside Lucasfilm

Again, no big announcements or bombshells, but the crowd exited the presentation feeling excited for the future of Star Wars. No question about that!

19. joesdomain

joesdomain Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2006
    Anyone have a photo of this Star Wars Celebration V logo that was presented to Chicago Comic-con attendees? I would like to see it!

20. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Hopefully starwars.com will have it up come tomorrow. It's the weekend and the website folks are probably off :).

21. Bail-Aquino

Bail-Aquino Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2002
    Those are good news, tx Capt-SithPaark!

Now if they only gave us a place and date, we could get started on making reservations! [face_praying]

22. atataboy

atataboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2005
    I heard about the late summer time frame. Wow, I hope that where ever its at, it has an air conditioned waiting line, hehe! LA or Florida would be brutal that time of year, in costume at least. Shoot, just about any of them would be rough that time of year unless it was in Canada or Alaska.

They do like to keep us on edge.

23. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    It seems kind of silly to have the logo all set and revealed without having a time or place but whatever...the longer it goes the more it will hurt them in the end I think. I am almost past the point of caring. Its time to start thinking about other things for next summer, C5 or no C5. Sacrilege I know! :p I've been to more than one Celebration so they don't need anymore of my money but how long do they expect people to wait? People need to plan and save for something like this. Chop, chop! ;)

24. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Can't disagree with you there :cool:.

Hopefully they will have something announced before I go to see Steve S. and Anne early next month. Otherwise I'll just get 'im in a headlock and make him tell me :).

25. joesdomain

joesdomain Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2006
    I have no problems on what month it would be but I need at least 12 months to save. Since it is already August 11, 2009 maybe they should wait and have it in September or October, 2010. The Indiana Convention Center expansion will be done by October, 2010. The main 34 story convention center hotel will be done in Feb. 2011. The three smaller hotels will be done in March, 2010. Maybe that would be a good time to a big preview of Star Wars Saga boxed set on blue ray dvd and a preview with trailers for a star wars live action tv series that will start in 2011. Just a thought!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.