main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

C-IV MEMORIES (and speculations on C-V)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    The announcement might come at SW Fan Days.

2. MightyMass

MightyMass Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2009
    I have a CV theory, but it's a bad one and probably a silly thought.

Florida is on the east coast. They hold Star Wars Weekends there every year starting in May. What is part of the 'legalities' in this process involve merging CV with Star Wars Weekends '10?

I seem to recall a few years back('05 or '06) GL saying that they were working on upgrading Star Tours. This is one of the announcements expected at the D23 conference this weekend. If they push construction to 2010, I think the CV: Orlando conspiracy theory might have legs. They just need a motive for pushing it to 2010. The best I can come up with is Imagineers needing to show off due to a lack of future projects.

Honestly, if it's on a cruise ship in the arctic circle I'm still going.

With love,
    Matt

3. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Huh, I just noticed this board got renamed to C-V in the main listing.

The sooner they announce the location for C-V, the sooner someone can create a geographically-appropriate new banner. :p

4. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Not for long.

The new moderator can ask for a new board to be created. This one should stay as it is, IMHO.

5. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Just to dispel the notion of Charlotte, NC :rolleyes:

The #1 reason why CV is not coming to Charlotte:

LA Convention Center: 867,000 sq. ft. total exhibit hall & meeting room space

Charlotte Convention Center: 330090 sq. ft total exhibit hall & meeting room space.

6. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Charlotte would have been nice -- but yeah, that size thing kinda gets in the way :).

7. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    People are still arguing with me saying the LACC space was hardly used. Just the airport in Charlotte alone is enough to make me say no. The baggage handling times are far too long.

Now maybe after the NASCAR Hall of Fame opens the city will ramp things up. Yes, Charlotte is a lovely place but until they do get the airport up to speed I still mark it as a 2nd/3rd tier city.

I'll feel rather foolish if I'm wrong though. :p

8. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    It's true that not all of that space in the LACC was used. The Indianapolis CC is a good benchmark for size needed. Back in 2007, it was about 400,000 square feet of exhibit space (it has grown enormously since then, since the dome is gone). Charlotte actually comes close to that.

But as you say, there are a lot of factors that must be included. Nearby hotel rooms are a big, big deal, as is inexpensive places to eat. That was LA's downfall (that, and the fact of the GenCon debacle).

9. MightyMass

Jul 23, 2009
    Does anyone know what the larger convention centers are of some of the supposed CV locations?

I know the Orange County Convention Center is the largest we have in Orlando: Here's a link.

I'm curious what the centers in Chicago and Baltimore look like.

Much love,
    Matt

10. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    In this case I don't think it's a question so much as to the size of the convention center (although certainly a nice chunk of space is needed), it's to the "amenities" that surround it, the hotels and nearby restaurants. That's what doomed L.A.
    And shuttle services can be expensive (and if you don't have a good system, it can be awful -- again, like in L.A.) Never having been to Chicago or Baltimore for a meeting, how do they compare in these additional factors to Indy, for instance? That was the best of all possible worlds, as far as convenience goes.

11. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I wish the Hyatt Regency in downtown Chicago was big enough, but it only has 228,000 sq ft of space. But otherwise it would be perfect. 2,000 hotel rooms plus underground walkways to multiple other hotels, underground mall with lots of cheap places to eat. I've been to a few Worldcons there. I suppose they might have enough space if they thought that CV was going to be smaller than CIV or if they used all the connecting hotels, but logistically that can be difficult. But still better than the hotel/convention center locations for CIV!

12. joesdomain

joesdomain Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2006
    I saw the Celebration V logo on theforce.net. Nice logo! Indy convention center when finished renovating will have the most skywalks connecting convention center to hotels than any other convention center. They will be connected to 12 hotels with 4,700 rooms. Total exhibit space is 566,000 sq ft., 100,00 sq. ft. of pre-function space, 113, 302 sq. ft. of meeting rooms, 3 ball rooms totaling 62,173 sq. ft., plus 182,500 sq. ft. of exhibit space at Lucas Oil Stadium. They are connected by underground tunnel. You don't have to go outside to travel between hotel, stadium, convention center or Circle Center Mall. They announced that on their website. Three out of four hotels will be complete by Feb. 2010. I think it said the fourth hotel would be done on feb. 2011. I think that offers a great attractio for any convention. There are several parking garages connected to circle center mall plus a new parking garage will be available for people who use Lucas Oil Stadium or the convention center.

13. Capt-SithPaark

Capt-SithPaark Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 24, 2004
    (In case u haven't seen it) This from TF.Net -

Steve Mitchell aka TC-6734 / "HARP" writes in with this report:

Over the past weekend I stopped in to a local and seasonal Halloween shop (Spirit) and to my surprise there was a cardboard Vader standee complete with the attached advertisement for a contest offering a trip to Celebration V.
    I was just listening to the Sept 11th Forcecast in which you mention Spirit's website and the same contest. I thought you guys would enjoy seeing this ...could this be the official logo? I'm uncertain as I have not seen the one that was presented @ Chicago Comic Con. This would certainly look killer on a black t-shirt.

Thanks for the info, Steve! This is in fact the official logo for Celebration V, but it has not yet been officially revealed. Look for an announcement from the Official Site soon

http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/Celebration_V_Logo_RevealedSort_Of_126438.asp

14. MightyMass

Jul 23, 2009
    Steve Sansweet will be at Fan Days III, right? I wonder if he'll have any updates for us.

With Love,

Matt

15. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Chicago for CV? ;)

[image=http://www.collectinghq.com/im/0016787.jpg]

16. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Obama: He made history by being the first dork president. :p

(He's been interviewed talking about liking Star Trek as a kid, too. Now all that dorky stuff that got covered up during the campaign so he'd seem more like a normal Nascar-watching dude can come out! :p )

17. MightyMass

Jul 23, 2009
    I don't line up with him politically, but if he's a Star Wars fan, he's all right by me.

In other news: Orlando News

My home town [which is more of a very dense strip mall colony] is throwing their hat into the ring for CV. I can't tell you how happy this false hope makes me. I love my home, and I hope we put on one heck of a presentation for the Lucas-suits.

Love,
    Matt

18. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I just have to chime in here to say: Orlando in August?????? Yikes! I've been there in August. It wasn't any fun. But yeah, dates in a cooler part of the year weren't available, I'm sure.

19. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    With the heat and amount of rain in august, we all just need to pack bathing trunks, swimsuits and the like.

20. MightyMass

Jul 23, 2009
    It's hot in Florida all year. We have beaches though. Imagine the 501st in board shorts all over Daytona beach!

The heat isn't the issue though. Air conditioning at the OCC solves that problem in a very icy way. The big issue is hurricaines. That is the biggest reason for not holding CV in May if Orlando is chosen.

Love,
    Matt

21. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I saw on a weather site, that a lot of rain also is to be expected in august, so the bathing trunks and swimsuits was just to keep the wet clothes and the clothes we have to pack to a minimum, not because I wanted to go to the beach.;)

22. ANAKINOS

ANAKINOS Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    My money is still on Baltimore.

23. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    Florida is the one place I would NOT be willing to go to.[face_not_talking] Mosquitos + heat + crowds...yech! I'd melt in my Jedi robel. I bet the guys would like it, though...probably more Slave Leias. :rolleyes:

I'm still hoping for Chicago or Indy or someplace like that.

24. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Who said Orlando?:confused:

25. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Orlando could be fun, even if it's not the most pleasant weather in August. I do really like the mental image of stormtroopers hitting the beach in Florida. (Perfect Tatooine cosplay setup, right down to the amount of sweat in the helmets?) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.