main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[C & P] Fort Tusken Homiez

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by TK-4752, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
  2. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    As for the greeblies and whatnot, I keep wondering if it'll be cost effective to have them machined. RavLoc's got a couple of possible sources, but nothing's set in stone yet.

The other people that I know that've machined pieces do so on a sporadic schedule, and it's just a first come/first serve basis. They're also a bit expensive. And Godzilla kits are $200...just for the head. Ouch.

While the "oooo" and "ahhh" effects of resin or other plastic parts aren't as good as machined aluminum, with a little weathering you wouldn't even be able to tell unless you were 6 inches away from the pieces. *shrug* I'll see what I can come up with in the next week or so for alternative methods of making eye pieces.

3. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    <poke>

4. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    Zoom-my friend used that pattern and it looked really good. But he also got the godzilla kit-everything by the nose pieces is machined and its worth it if you have the money, I think. He had everything else for his costume on hand already so I guess that helps.

I finally have a day off thats not a sunday or a holiday this weekend and I am hoping to get a chance to finally get to the stores for fabric. I will let you know if I find anything good.

Any other female tuskens... have you figured out something for the bracelets yet?

5. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    The kit *is* very nice. But for every $200 we save on the way up to C3, that's an extra helicopter ride with Carrie Fisher. And that's like, 10 people. :D

6. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    helicopter rides...with Miss Fisher... [face_love]

7. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    ah... i see, then it makes total sense not to buy it! Does anyone there have a vacuum form machine? Maybe you can get one is form it? And everyone can go in on the costs...

8. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    actully, guru zoom has one.

9. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    man, i need to learn more stuff about people... i feel like i know nothing!

10. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    That's OK. Lots of things aren't publicized -- vac tables...armor molds...Bigfoot...the chupacabra...

:D

I think the Godzilla kit is latex, isn't it? I think the original movie heads had a latex inside, too. I kinda thought about doing the head like that. Vac-forming the base would be nice, too...cuz you could cut a ton of holes into it and not have to worry about it flopping around on you. That's what I really don't like about most other Tusken heads -- you can't breathe in them.

11. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    you can barely breath in any mask! I found teh godzilla head to be the easiest to breath in-without my glasses on of course. But its so big and akward. My friend I think used 2 layers of foam so it wouldn't wobble so much.

12. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Hey Zoom, have you talked to Az or Cal in the 501st MG about their Tuskens? Oh, and Grace has a Tusken, too.

13. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Yeah, I fiddled with all their Tusken gear at WOTR and up in WY. A lot of variety, actually -- everything from blankets to linen, 2 homemade heads...1 using a vac-formed head from someone I know, and another an actual Godzilla kit. Brent's first Tusken head was actually a water-based latex base with the bandages stuck to it. I haven't seen 2 Tuskens made in the same way yet, and I kinda like the individuality, so if we really do the big group project, I'd kinda like everyone to put together their own stuff so we don't all look like cookie cutter Twinkie Tuskens.

Honestly, from 5 feet away you can't really tell what materials were used for what (metal pieces vs. resin), except for the main body robe. The metal pieces had a bit more of a sheen to them, but that can be simulated with different paints. I liked Grace's robe -- Az's was made out of the blanket and was too heavy for me. I plan on my Tusken being comfortable. LOL. :D

14. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Oh -- what I originally planned on posting...

I know everyone's scrambling to find this Holy Grail of $1/yd fabric for their Tuskens, but what's wrong with a $40 robe?

15. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I mean, I know $200 for a head is a bit much, and I'm still going to try finding a much lower-priced fabric than $13/yd, but still -- there's going to be a co$t involved in making a costume. LOL.

16. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    lol

40 robes aren't bad

17. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Hmm hmm hmmm...uuunk uuuunk uuuunk.

18. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    hey, what do I need to get you for this project? Are we still doing it?

19. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I'll write up a tutorial once I get one finished. It'll be a mutant child of a few other tutorials I've found...

20. Darth_Larsen

Darth_Larsen Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    let me know your idea for the robe..

i just need to put the fabric over the top of the godzilla kit and im done(got one set of WW2 bandoliers. just need a gaffi.. but i dont think id take the gaffi to C3 anyway,, something tells me. they wouldnt let me in with it, maybe if it is PVC and all plastic)

21. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Might have pics of a robe after this Wednesday.

Also have a mostly-finished pattern for Swedish-style bandoliers since there aren't enough bandoliers floating around the net to outfit everyone with 1...let alone 2. LOL.

22. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
  23. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Oonk...oonk...oonk...

24. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    goofball

25. Zoom_Cthooga