main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cincin, OH C3 Costuming Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Robert-A-Fett, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert-A-Fett

Robert-A-Fett Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, the time is drawing near, at least relatively so. A little less than 14 months to Celebration 3 and its time to start thinking: Costumes.
    I've already located all the stuff I need for mine, and I know other people have a good start on things, but I figured this thread would be a good place to get the ball rolling for those of you who havent gotten moving. Between the lot of us we have alot of experience and knowledge on good places to find stuff and general techniques for making your own. I'm also hoping once we get a little closer that we can have regular costuming workshops and propmaking sessions. Well. Discuss. What is everyone doing costume wise? What are you having problems finding?

2. elvenvoices

elvenvoices Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2003
    I've got three that I will be making.

New Hope Leia with Head Rolls. Padme's purple senate gown and possibly a shifty senator of my own design.

I'm also reopening the doors to my studio for StarWars costumes again for the Convention. Traditionally I'm a historical costumer for Renaissance Faires, but did these last time. I've talked with the CR here about possibly doing a workshop for Jedi costumes, but I am not sure what my schedual is going to look like in the next few months, but I hope that I can make this offering.

The other idea possible is maybe Sewing 101, since most folks haven't touched a sewing machine before. I thinks its a valuable skill to learn for guys and gals alike. I've got three machines that I can offer up, and am willing to teach privately if it's needed. :)

The other idea I possibly considered was costume drafting 101, but it will be valuable if you continue to sew for yourself. :)

Just some ideas in my head for as the year progresses. :)

EV

3. padawan_schlicher

padawan_schlicher Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I think doing the sewing workshops would be great. Just about every costume you could do will involve some sort of sewing, even if it's just doing some touch up work on something you bought. Plus it has good practical uses like fixing a hem or something and long term knowing how to sew can save you some money.

Along these same lines I've been thinking about doing a lightsaber building meeting or series of meetings. We could all meet at a hardware store sometime and pick out parts then do a meeting at a later time to actually do the building. I know several other Fanforces have done these with mixed results, most have had a good time with it though.

4. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Yeah, I have to make a saber for my mom's "Jocasta Nu" costume, so I'm interested!

5. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Jan 8, 2002
    Oh, I almost forgot! My dad's "DA MAN"!!!!
    Why? Well, first he is extremely cool and loves Star wars, is into costuming, and now.... HE IS THE TRANSLATOR FOR THE FRENCH 501st, WICH MEANS THAT THIS WEEK END HE HAS DINNER WITH MICHAEL SHEARD (ADMIRAL OZZEL), GARRICK HAGON (BIGGS) AND WARRICK DAVIS (WICKET, WILLOW...)!!!! :eek: AWESOME!!! :D
    No need to say I'm jealous! He will also pick them up from their hotel to get them to the convention this week-end. WAY TO GO PAPA!! :)

6. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    That's awesome! And on his birthday no less! What a great birthday present!

Edit:And to make this a little more "on topic" Since alot of the celebs stay at the westin for CIII there's a good chance that they will remember him and maybe invite him to hang out after convention hours and stuff ;) Bonus!

7. elvenvoices

Oct 22, 2003
    I'll start thinking about Sewing 101, before I start Jedi 101. I'll email you what I've put together when it's close to being done. I've already got a basic idea, but want to put my thoughts together more smoothly. :)

8. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    Sounds good. Once we get an idea of what to do, we can figure out when is best for everyone.

9. DarthSkywalker360

DarthSkywalker360 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002
    Ludo, your Dad is one lucky man. I am jealous too.

I haven't really decided what I wanna do as far as a costume is concerned, but right now I'm leaning towards EP3 anakin, so I'm hoping it won't cost a lot of money.

10. elvenvoices

Oct 22, 2003
    It all depends on how close you'd like your costume to be. If you want it as close as close can be, it'll be more expensive. Some costumers have higher over head, others are cheaper. I'm in the middle of costs, in that case and point.

I'm willing to work with budgets, etc, if anything is needed, because I'm someone that feels you shouldn't have to bust your bank to have a good time. :)

I've got sewing 101 started, AJ expect a PM/email your way today. :)

11. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Jan 8, 2002
    Elvenvoices has spoken ;)

12. elvenvoices

Oct 22, 2003
    Just as a FYI, my website goes live in March for costumes, if you decide you don't wish to put together a costume on your own. I'll start taking C2 orders in March on a first come first serve basis. :)

I wanted to let you all know that before hand, so that if you need anything you can get a jump before I'm submitted to search engines, and the wait becomes too long. Also let me know you are from Fan Force if you email via the site, so that I can offer you speical rates.

I'll have a price list prior, if you want to see my rates, and if your local, I can do fittings Monday through Saturday by appointment. Beyond that, I'm here for any questions you might have. :)

13. TK-P01

TK-P01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2003
    Remember, any Imperial costuming questions can be directed to the Boards at www.OHIO501st.com. Post a topic saying you need help making a costume and the guys there will be more than wilingly to give a hand with Imperial related costuming tips.

14. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    cool! is there anyone in the 501st local to cincy that might be interested in the fanforce as well?

i might be looking for some boba fett help at some point

15. DarthSkywalker360

DarthSkywalker360 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002
    Sounds good elvenvoices.

I'll have to check out Ohio's 501st site too.

16. Cor-AlGelkar

Cor-AlGelkar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2003
    If I'm lucky, maybe I'll have my Rebel pilot costume doen by then.. if I can ever afford the helmet

17. CptCorranHorn

CptCorranHorn Jedi Master star 5

Oct 16, 2002
    I dont know what my group is going for a our uniforms yet, but I know I'm going to need a lightsaber, so count me in on that one

18. elvenvoices

Oct 22, 2003
    If you need help with the imput for Imperials I'm going to be putting one together also. :) The jacket can be tricky, so pick my brain if you make one on your own, and are irritated to the point where you want to throw it. ;)

Lesson 1: Sewing your own stuff

Feeling like a wookie in chains? Put the costume down, breath, walk away from the project for an hour, and return. Sometimes when our brain has been so obsorbed with doing it, it becomes muddled, and instructions look weird, or read weird. By taking a break, you will be able to make heads or tails of what your doing.

Even tho I've sewn for close to ten years now, I still use this. Sometimes fabric won't want to pin right, or you fight the machine for a final seam, and get overheated, and frustrated. Walk away, get some water, and go do something else. Best advice I can offer for anyone new or old to sewing.

EV

19. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    My father-in-law is having dinner as I am writing with the STAR WARS CELEBRATIES!!!!!! :) :) :) HE IS so lucky!!!!!

My costumes: 1)Slave Leia(from last Celebration)
    2) The blue Padme outfit(desert scene when Anakin leaves to rescue his mom.)
    3) I am going to also do an officer outfit because I want to march in the 501st parade and I can only do that is I have a "bad" guy/gal costume!! :D

20. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    I'm working on my Boba Fett as we speak...working on getting all the parts and doing the cutting, painting, assembling etc.

21. Drone

Drone Jedi Knight

Jul 28, 2003
    Cliche Jedi outfit would work well for me, I think. And it's likely cheaper and less complicated than an Imperial Officer (I certainly don't care much about accuracy with a Jedi costume...just brown robe and a tunic underneath. Eagerly awaiting more info, elvenvoices. :)

Also seconded the lightsaber construction workshop. I built a crappy one from Bigyellowbox a few years ago and could stand to get another, more unique one.

22. elvenvoices

Oct 22, 2003
    *grins*

Well, if you go with me it's pretty acurate in cut and so on, but I am always happy to do the fabric in what ever you choose or supply. :) My Jedi's from the last con were in Silk Martika and wool, but all cotton works well also if it's done in heavy enough fabrics.

Remember, you can go for any colour also. I had designed a forest green and navy blue Jedi costume with unusual robe designs, weird sleve cuts. So there are other options. When I go live in March, I'm hoping to show at least two differnt colour ideas. :)

So remember, we can live inside the box and outside it. :) How do you want to present yourself, and so on. :) And Imp costumes are too bad.

I didn't know you were making a Boba Fett, AJ, Rockin'! ;)

23. elvenvoices

Oct 22, 2003
    I love Big Yellow box! They rock! Dremel tools are awesome, gotta get one, even if it doesn't have all the parts, and pieces. It's a nice tool for cutting, and molding. :)

24. Exalted_1

Exalted_1 Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    What about alien designs?(Twi'leks & such)

Special Effects Makeup is my specialty. The hard part is the life-cast.

C2 had some pretty wild characters.

25. Drone

Drone Jedi Knight

Jul 28, 2003
    I may be interested in a dark, hunter greenish Jedi garb. We'll talk when you go live in March. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.