main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

C3 Nametags Idea

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by MrSkinnee, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. movieboy

movieboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2005
    I know I am not a master at this like Grimby is, but here is what I think you need to do.

1. Find a MD flag pattern that you can save in Photoshop.

2. Type what you want to say in a solid white font.

3. Create a duplicate layer on top of the layer you did for step 2.

4. On the step 3 layer turn its font into the same style as the solid font, only make it hollow.

5. Load the MD flag pattern.

6. Go into blending effects for the solid font pattern, and select the MD flag pattern.

You should now see the flag inside of the hollow letters. You can also add a drop shadow to give it some highlights as well.

2. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    For whatever reason, I can't mine to post. Seb, would you mind posting a pic pf the badge you made for me? Thanks.

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Movieboy's pretty much got it. Assuming you want to use the same font as the Fan Force title, here's what you do:

1. Open up the image you want to use as the pattern. Choose Edit > Define pattern, name it and hit OK and it will add it to your list of patterns.

2. Now go ahead and create the text. The font I used for "Fan Force" was a combination of "Distant Galaxy Solid" and "Distant Galaxy Outline" (look 'em up on Google if you don't have them, they're free downloads).

3. Start off with the solid version and once you've got the text lined up and the right size, open up the blending options (in the layer window, right-click the text layer and choose Blending Options). Under Pattern Overlay, select the pattern you created. One other thing I did was add an outer glow effect with the following settings: blend mode normal, opacity 100%, noise 0, color #646464 solid, technique softer, spread 12%, size 93px, antialiased, range 100%, jitter 0. I also set the layer's opacity to 68% (you can set this from the layer window).

4. Once you've got it looking the way you want, create a duplicate of the text layer (in the layer window, right-click the layer and choose duplicate). Now select the top-most of the two layers and change the font to Distant Galaxy Outline. Go into the blending options and take out the pattern overlay (and outer glow if you did it). I added a drop shadow here with the following settings: blend mode multiply, opacity 75%, angle -90, distance 5, spread 0, size 5.

4. spooky-kid

spooky-kid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 17, 2003
    can someone tell me the size of the c3 badge?, i don't have mine infront of me.

with and without the extra laminate

5. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
    5 & 1/16 "
    4 & 1/32 "

I measured it several weeks ago. If I remember correctly that was including the laminate edge.

EDIT: They are not square. I measured and posted several weeks ago. My badge is at home, I'm at work. I guess someone else might have theirs with them. Maybe they'll post.

6. spooky-kid

spooky-kid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 17, 2003
    shouldn't there be more of a difference in length ?

edit: are they perfectly square?

7. movieboy

movieboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2005
    I made my badge 7.5" tall and 5" wide. That way you can still see your info at the bottom of the badge with the C3 badge on top of it.

8. MrSkinnee

MrSkinnee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    Thansk so much for the help Grimby. I was able to use your instructions to play around with it in Photoshop and come up with this.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/jrvideography/Picture4.jpg]

MARYLAND REPRASENT! wut WUT!!

9. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    badge= 3.5" X 4.25"

10. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    That's awesome dude, good work. :)

11. MrSkinnee

Mar 25, 2002
    Mirax,
    Question for ya. How did you get the nametag shaped holes that look like an oblong circle on there, almost oval-ish? All I can figure out how to do is use a regular hole punch, but those seem to look like they were made FOR that nametag plastic piece.

12. Bail-Aquino

Bail-Aquino Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2002
    Finnaly got around to making our Nametags!

I'm making tags for a couple of the Puerto Rico FF guys who'll be going to C3.

I used ideas from a lot of you (thanks for the inspiration) and put together a light and dark side nametag. It's been cool to watch how this thread evolved and all the great designs you've posted.

I'll be laminating these at work tomorrow... Husshhh! "Don't let my boss know about this!"

Here is a scaled sample of our tags... [image=http://www.hladesigns.com/nametags.jpg]

13. bobafett25

bobafett25 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 1998
    Nice work on the nametags Bail-Aquino. :)

14. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    Very nice, indeed!

15. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Those are awesome Bail!

16. Bail-Aquino

Bail-Aquino Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2002
    Thanks Guys!
    I'm pretty happy about how they turned out. I used a lot of your concepts to put them together.

I can't wait to see all of yours out on C3. Actually, I think that's going to be one of my favorite activities, trying to spot FF Nametags!

Be asured I'll be taking as many pics as possible of you guys with your nametags...

17. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Cool. I hope we run into each other. :)

18. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I am having some problems printing my badge out to scale, in addition to finding somewhere around here to lamenate it.

19. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    pm coming dashy...

20. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Mirax,
    Question for ya. How did you get the nametag shaped holes that look like an oblong circle on there, almost oval-ish? All I can figure out how to do is use a regular hole punch, but those seem to look like they were made FOR that nametag plastic piece.

Exacto knife!
    Went to several different 'office' stores, and No One makes a punch for those stupid clips! So what I did was line the clip up at about the center spot, and used my knife on a safe cutting surface (ok - I used my friend's stairs) and just cut a little slit along the top about halfway between the badge and the edge of the laminate for just the size of the plastic on the clip.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/mirax1980/Celebration%203/Slit.jpg]
    Slit circled in black

btw: my badges are only 3.5 x 5. Mainly because I work in a photo lab, and I can do that size really easily. :)

21. lija

lija Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2002
    /\ Mirax80...I did a double take when I saw your post. Where I work we used those clips to hold our ID's, so I was really surprised that you had to manually create a hole to insert the clip. Since my workplace used them all the time, I thought that it would more commonplace at the other places too.

MrSkinnee...in answer to your question some previous posts past, the blond Leia recreating the scene of inserting the disc into R2 is Mirax H, a fellow member of the Costuming and Props forum. She's also Lady Maul if you'd seen her during C2 and at the costume contest there.

BTW, just got my nametag done by FedEd/Kinko's. The lady at the counter was really helpful and sized it down for me.

My nametag is really simple...I just used Grimby's light and dark designs (minus the FF title) and my name. My skills in editing is minimal at best, so I didn't want the hassle of making fancy lettering, etc. Besides, even reading the directions that Grimby posted still made me confused...no offense to you Grimby...cause I'm thankful for your generosity in sharing the designs with the rest of us on this board.

THANK YOU, GRIMBY!!!! :D

22. MrSkinnee

Mar 25, 2002
    mirax H! That's it! yeah i remember her in the contest last time. okay cool. thanks.

23. Siri_Ruane

Siri_Ruane Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    I made myself a button with this on it...

[image=http://tn.cafepress.com/6/7033096_TN.jpg]
    Cafepress.com :D

24. jediseanUF

jediseanUF Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2005
    Here is mine...took a little time to get all the elements together, but I think it worked out pretty well.

[image=http://plaza.ufl.edu/skearns/Seanbadge.jpg]

25. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Any suggestions for affixing this to Armor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.