main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

C3PO tried to tell uncle Owen

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Count_Thermal, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count_Thermal

Count_Thermal Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2002
    One thing about 3PO and Anakin that always confused me is people say stuff like:

"He had to use whatever parts he could scrounge from Watto's shop."

And then others say:

"there's NO WAY he would recognize C3PO as there are millions of protocol draids and they all look the same!"

So which is it? Did Anakin start protacol droids and every other protacol droid is based on 3PO?

OR

Did Anakin just use somekind of kit to "build" 3PO? If so big deal?? I made remote control cars and lego robots from kits as a kid too. So who cares if he "built" a robot???

How can a droid built "from scraps" look just like a professional protacol droid?

So the point is:

If you believe 3PO looks just like all P droids then you're saying Annie just made a kit robot.

And if you don't you freely admit 3PO is unique and might be recognized by others thoughout the years.

I'm sure if I built a car from scraps, myself and others would recognize it later.

I for one was fooled into thinking Anakin was smart in this regard, but now I'm not sure.

2. xArchangelx

xArchangelx Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    "If we see Artoo stick a tool into Threepio to perform the memory wipe it might cost the film its PG rating and get it banned in some jurisdictions."

LOL, classic.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Anakin essentially rebuilt 3PO from protocol droid parts he scrapped togther.

4. Morgan Solo

Morgan Solo Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 20, 2000
    Honda civics aren't quite the same as droids.

Hmmm, aren't they both machines built to make life easier?

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Alomanuma: Remember that Artoo didn't actually find Obi-Wan until the man showed up to help Luke. All he had learned was that Ben lived beyond the Dune Sea. It would take a while to find him, but he would have to scan all hospitable areas beyond the Dune Sea until he found who he was looking for. Eventually, he would succeed.
    It might not be the most effective way for the Alliance to find Obi-Wan, but what could they do? They had to try somehow.

Anakin essentially rebuilt 3PO from protocol droid parts he scrapped togther.

Exactly. Anakin knew droids. He knew exactly what a protocol droid looked like, so he took parts that he knew belonged to protocol droids and put them together. Look at all the other protocol droids that we see throughout the saga. They are identical to Threepio in appearance, aside from color.

6. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2003
  7. thecleric007

thecleric007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2003
    Hmmm, aren't they both machines built to make life easier?

Yes, but Honda Civics don't talk and don't have personalities. Droids do.

The Cleric 007

8. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Magic_Al: You're right, they don't all look alike. However, there are lots of the "Threepio" model.
    TC-14, the limping protocol droid in Mos Espa and Mr "Eetchuta" suggest to me that there are lots of droids like Threepio in the GFFA.
    EDIT: There are others as well, on Tantive IV and Echo Base.

9. AnakinsFinalTurn

AnakinsFinalTurn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2004
    as i think of it c3po does have his memory erased. r2 im not sure. but i think owen lars remembered 3p0 and tried ditching him to the jawas.

10. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    as i think of it c3po does have his memory erased. r2 im not sure. but i think owen lars remembered 3p0 and tried ditching him to the jawas.

I think you may have watched a different version of ANH than I did.

Owen never tried ditching 3PO to the Jawas.

11. 3263827

3263827 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 1999
    There obviously must be a use for protocol (aka translator droids) on Tatooine, as Aunt Beru reminds Luke to get one that speaks Bocce. Anakin probably created Threepio to do the same thing for his mom that Beru wanted in a translator droid. Being creative, Anakin also programmed it to take care of other tasks (fix vaporators, etc).

On the other topic ... Artoo does have life-form sensors (you see him scanning for Luke + Han in ESB). The Dune Sea, being a desert, we can assume it's pretty empty (Threepio: "What a desolate place this is"). If Artoo was able to pick up one human life form in the desert, there's a good chance it's the guy he's looking for.

12. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Good point, 3263827(love your name)!

13. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002

That really doesn't matter, they are still machines that are mass produced to make life easier for the life forms that rule them. Droids are mass produced just like cars. There are different model cars like there are different model Droids. If I bought a car that was the same model that I had 20 years ago, I would remember that I had a car like that but I wouldn't think it's the same one because there are millions that are just like it, plus its a different color. Plus, I didn't look at the VIN after I bought it. I had my newphew put it in the garage and wash it up and then told him to take it to toshi station to get a new tape deck. He gets up in the early morning and leaves with it and then I have a bunch of militants bust a cap in my ass because the car was stolen.

I also doubt that C3PO is the only droid ever made with that type of personality. For all we know there are different programs of personalities, Anakin just programed him with the one he had, after that Shmi probably didn't care what his personality was like, it was fine for where they lived. After he goes with Anakin, they have more important things on their mind and are not thinking about "Let's replace his personality chip."

14. YodasBeerGut

YodasBeerGut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2003
    Perhaps. Seems like an awfully bad memory, if you ask me. Especially considering Threepio would have been quite special to Shmi, seeing as Anakin made it for her.

The Cleric 007

Would you remember the refrigerator you owned 20 years ago if you were at a garage sale and it were included amongst the other junk that were there?

It seems to me the plates and parts on 3PO were common in the universe of Star Wars and that droids were commonplace like electronic devices (refrigerators, microwaves, lawnmovers, etc.).

I don't think there's anything strange about Owen not recognizing a droid who looks very different than he did 20 years ago.

15. YodasBeerGut

YodasBeerGut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2003

The Cleric 007

What you're not taking into consideration that in the star wars universe, droids ARE like Honda Civics. They ARE commonplace. They aren't looked at as special. They are all over the place... they look at droids as a machine... like we look at out computers or lawnmowere or Honda Civics or refrigerators.

It is perfectly reasonable that Owen wouldn't recognize a droid 20 years later that looks very different than "that one we used to own 20 years ago on the farm with that gray plating... what was his name again?" He doesn't even know 3PO's name in ANH.

16. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Would you remember the refrigerator you owned 20 years ago if you were at a garage sale and it were included amongst the other junk that were there?

Yes.

17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Not if it looks like new and has a totally different color...

18. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    No, but he didn't mention that. ;)

19. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    The only real question, is why Owen didnt recognize the droid or the name C3P0. Especially since they worked together for like 10 years....but im not going there.

A plothole George Lucas will NEVER be able to explain.

20. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    A plothole George Lucas will NEVER be able to explain.

Funny, no one who calls this a plothole has ever been able to explain why it is one. Just calling it a plothole doesn't make it so. People assume that because they know something, the characters must know it as well, not getting that the only identifying feature of protocol droids, their color, is the very thing that changes between the two appearances. Like I posted in another thread, there are about four different droids in the movies that look identical to C-3PO except for color. By the logic some people are using, they must all be C-3PO! Well, maybe you'll be the first to answer this:

Why would Owen possibly think they're the same droid?

21. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    How do we know Owen's worked with Threepio for 10 years? Did Shmi get married immediately after TPM finished? How do we know Owen worked much with him at all apart from possibly switching him on in the morning and pointing him in the right direction? He certainly takes little interest in the droids in ANH, maybe he's never shown much interest in the things. What difference does another prissy-sounding droid mean to a moisture farmer? The galaxy is not short of snooty protocol droids :p For him it's a tool, not a worthwhile conversation partner.

Owen honestly does not seem like the kind of person that's interested in droids apart from if they're doing their job or not. After more than 20 years without Threepio, he probably doesn't even remember his name let alone his appearence - which has since changed anyway. Now, a droid like Artoo, with several odd and unusual modification which definitely don't come as standard...that droid, he'd remember. Not Threepio.

22. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    The only real question, is why Owen didnt recognize the droid or the name C3P0. Especially since they worked together for like 10 years....but im not going there.

Because the name 3PO was never stated in Owen's presence. Not to mention all protocaol droids look the same and 3PO wasn't the only protocaol droid Owen ever saw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.