main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

C3Pos memory

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Ann1e-Skywalker, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Okay, DS, we know that you don't like the idea of a memory wipe.
    Why do you think C-3PO doesn't seem to remember anything from the PT in ANH (Owen, Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, the Homestead, the Jawas' habit of selling salvaged droids)? He chooses or is programmed to ignore all that?

And one more thing:
    "If it makes you feel better I think I saw his eyebrows raise and his eyes widen in astonishment."

If Lucas had intended for us to see a facial expression on C-3PO we would have gotten one. His face may be static, but he (just like Vader) strangely has a range of not-quite-facial-expressions throughout the trilogy and possibly even the whole Saga.

2. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    And surprise? He's a droid! If it makes you feel better I think I saw his eyebrows raise and his eyes widen in astonishment.

You mean like how he showed surprise in AotC when Anakin came back to see Shmi? Seems like droids aren't devoid of some attributes that humans normally possess.

And GL changes his story constantly. Boba Fett was minor character that had no relevance to the story, and would never be seen again at one point. Yoda was blue. There are only red and blue lightsabers. And now? GL says lots of things.

Yes, but very rarely does Lucas go back on something he has gone on the record to say is true.

The fact is, you haven't provided any evidence to show that C3PO retains his memory.

3. sharkboy

sharkboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    It does not have to be a full memory wipe does it.
    Their brains are computers afterall you would just wipes the bits you need to get rid of.
    C3PO is a translator a full memory wipe would be a very good idea would it?

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I think a memory wipe wouldn't alter his ability to translate.
    Think the Memento guy. He lost his memory but can still speak, write, read, drive his car, use a phone....
    not the best comparison, I know.
    Maybe it's more like deleting your "My Documents" folder. Keeping the Operating System and such, but deleting actual memories.

5. thecleric007

thecleric007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah, even people with amnesia still remember things like language. There is no reason that his entire memory would have to be wiped, just a few specific things.

And it would seem that such a practice is common, since Owen wanted to have Artoo's memory erased in ANH.

The Cleric 007

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.