main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cabin Boy. Week 6 daily task 1.

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by B'omarr, Jun 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    As you might have guessed from the descriptive title, this thread is dedicated to a movie that means a lot to me. A little movie called Cabin Boy

[image=http://www.lynchposters.com/images/Cabin-Boy.jpg]

It stars the young Nathaniel Merriwhether, graduating from his prep school, and venturing into the world. Of couse, Nathaniel is in for a surprise when he boards the wrong boat. He thinks its a themed ship, purposely made shabby to capture that "fisherman" type feel. But no, it turns out it's not faux shabby, it's real shabby.

Why do I like this movie so much? I suppose I like it, because this movie was made for a very small demographic. It was made for people like me, with an appreciation for stupidity and able to laugh at the most absurd and off the wall humor. This movie makes Monty Python mainstream. I could never recommend it to someone, because it is very, very particular to one's taste. To me, it's a masterpiece though. Some examples of it's greatness:

During a scene where the crew tries to get rid of Nathan, they send him out on a raft to be a "lookout". After several days, Nathan starts to hallucinate. He imagines he see a giant floating cupcake talking to him. The cupcake says to Nathan, "I know what you're thinkin' what could be wierder than a big, fat assed floatin' cupcake? Well, how about one that spits tobacco?" And the cupcake proceeds to spit tobacco on Nathan. Nathan then falls in the water and is rescued by a half man, half shark.

Another great scene is when the ship steers into an icey part of the ocean, and is attacked by a snow creature. Nathan then begins to stomp on the creatures foot, in an attempt to give it "foot pain". I love this movie.

In the end of the movie, Nathan sheds his "feminine side, like a snake sheds it's fur" by seducing a six armed nymph.

[image=http://www.themakeupgallery.info/weird/paint/cb3.jpg]

The problem is, the nymph is married to a giant hardware salesman who then tries to destroy the ship, "The Filthy Whore", but Nathan, with a little help from his half shark friend "Shocky" take down the giant.

Again, I would never recommend this movie. It's stupid on purpose, and it's Chris Elliot at his best. I'm eternally thankful that this movie could be made, as it's pure genius in the fact that it's a pure "anti-movie" at heart and was almost made for me.

2. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    "These pipes...are now...CLEEANN!!!"

[face_laugh]

God...I love that movie too... :D

3. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    I've got the DVD. I've seen it so many times that I know most of the lines by heart. That's sad, I know.

I've also got about 8 episodes of "Get a Life" on DVD. It's got the alien "Spewey" episode, and the one where Chris goes back in time.

4. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Honestly, this explains a lot. Really. I can now understand you a lot more. And I mean that in a good way. :)

5. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    "I am now...a Cabin Man... ;) "

:p

6. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    "So, you wanna buy a monkey?"

7. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
  8. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    You know another comedian I've really liked, but seems to be an aquired taste? Harland Williams. He was the "7 minute abs" hitchiker in "Something About Mary". That guy is absurdly funny.

He starred in a movie in the late 90s called Rocket Man. I've never seen it, but it looks interesting. Interesting in a stupid way, I guess.

More quotes:

Trina: "Are you even listening to me?"
    Nathan: "Oh! I'm sorry, I was just thinking of how much fun it is to roast pumpkin seeds."

9. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    I think that that dude is hilarious too! He was great in "There's Something About Mary" and "Half-Baked"... [face_laugh]

Man...the more I think about it..."Cabin Boy" is so damn nonsensical....it'd be a great "Staple" flick for the BYS... :D

10. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Harland Williams rules. He's so funny. You need to see Rocketman. Seriously. :D It was on the Disney Channel not too long ago. It's such a funny a movie, and I try to watch it whenever it's on. :D Great stuff. "It wasn't me!"

He was in Sorority Boys too, wasn't he? I never got to see that, though. :(

Oh, and I've never seen Cabin Boy, but it sure sounds interesting. :p

11. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    After I posted this thread, I decided to see if I can find a copy of Rocketman to rent. It's not at my local video store chain affiliate though, so damn them to heck.

Harland is on Conan quite a bit, he's the best guest ever, next to Mr. T.

12. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    Okay, well Rocket Man was alright. It was certainly no Cabin Boy. :( They really didn't let Harland cut loose, but he did have some good exclamations. "Sweet swirling onions!" and "Holy Alaskan Asparagus!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.