main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    But shouldn't he be actually role-playing his character, not just inserting himself in the game?

2. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    You make the viper sad

RC-1991 likes this.
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I've met Jello in person before. He's actually an Imperial noble come to life.

Ulicus likes this.
  4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Should be noted that this is what I come up with upon google imaging "Imperial Noble".. I assume that's what Jello looks like? :p

Mirax Terrik and krtmd like this.
  5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No. That guy's not wearing a bicorne.

s65horsey and Ulicus like this.
  6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll just leave this here.

[​IMG]

7. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    My re-read of A Game of Thrones is over. It was actually quite fun to write out details on paper. Now when they say some lord has died I remember both times he's been mentioned before, and so have at least some connection so he's not just a statistic. GRRM really doesn't seem to want that, though. When Theon Greyjoy names the big Lannister prisoners they got after the battle in woods, only one of them was named before that moment besides ser Jaime, and only as ”Lord Tywin's dead brother's son”.

Some interesting trivia for those interested (Spoilers work oddly now)
    In A Game of Thrones 361 names are mentioned.
    Of those 64 are mentioned before the events of the novel. That leaves 297 characters for the story itself.
    During the novel 54 named characters are killed, one direwolf with them (I counted them since they are such a big part of the story). Many die off-stage, I haven't counted how many, nor of the deaths of unnamed characters. There could be more bodies, especially in the case of Stark household most died in King's Landing and the Mountain's ambush, but since GRRM didn't give names for survivors or all the dead ones I don't know if for example Donnis is still alive. I have left those alive for now.
    In the end of the novel there are still 243 named characters alive (or not declared dead). I wonder if the number will be bigger or smaller in the end of the second book...
    Of the named characters 44 have not yet appeared, their names have just been mentioned.

And for your and my amusement some general predictions for the second season of GOT/the novel A Clash of Kings:
    • The Old Bear Mormont will die during their quest to the North of the Wall, and Jon will have to take the lead. Because that's how it goes if you have a Hero's Journey, and Jon's closest to it. Jon won't die since he's the only one in the Night's Watch who can push that plot forward. Same goes for Daenerys. If they die their plots die.
    • In the North we'll see mammoths, giants, headless riders, sabeltooth tigers... or not actually see because that would eat the whole budget. But creepy stuff.
    • Tyrion will continue to be a guy playing a fantasy RPG: In the character creation he min-maxed Charisma for Wisdom, and in the first novel knowed how this game is played, thought about throwing dice and talked a DM into giving him a whole tribe to follow him. His story continues by him going to King's Landing and doing everything exactly the other way as Eddard did. He'll fare much better and perhaps find out who send the dagger to kill Bran (I have theories. All of them seem to miss something)
    • As I said before, I vote for Renly as a king, but I don't think he's going to sit on that throne. He might have Storm's End and the Reach, and perhaps even Dorne to help, but there's Stannis the Often Mentioned to keep an eye on. Somehow it seems more GRRM-logical to have a character who hasn't been seen yet to show up, kick everyone's butt and sit on the throne.
    • Joffrey won't be the king in the end of the season. It's A Game of Thrones, no king will have that chair for more than a season.
    • We'll visit the kingdoms we haven't seen yet: The Iron Islands, The Reach and Dorne. Riverrun is given, since the first book ends there. And Dragonstone, if we are to finally meet Stannis the Never Seen.
    • Arya won't go all the way to the Wall. There's lots of stuff between, Winterfell, Tywin Lannister's army...
    • Sansa will find ways to undermine Joffrey's rule. Hopefully. I'd like that.
    • Honor, pride and a parents' love of their children will continue to make wars happen. Oh our child could be found as not the king's son? Let's kill everyone. Oh the Imp could have tried to kill my son? Let's have a war. Tens of thousands of people die but at least my son is avenged.
    • Harrenhal will be a cool place. And with Tywin Lannister there it will be 200% cooler (that's science). Shame he's going to die to ”give way to his children” or what excuse authors give to kill those with best actors.
    • Rocks fall, everybody dies.
    • We'll find out who Varys, Baelish and Pycelle are in league with. Wait, I know this: Varys, Baelish and Pycelle.
    • Daenerys's side of the story will have some connections with what goes in Westeros, but not many. She is in the Fire side of the story, Jon is in the Ice side, and they are both outside the main story.
    • There will be little stories inside the main narrative, like the last Daenerys chapters were a fairy tale of The Brave Mirri Maz Duur destroying the Big Bad Army by using her wits and the foolishness of their Queen.
    • Was that everyone? Wait, Catelyn and Robb. I don't really care about Catelyn, she can do what he likes. Same goes for Robb, but I'm sure that this King in the North business is not going as planned.
    • I know who Theon Greyjoy is on my first viewing.
    • These will all be completely wrong and I'll laugh at these when the season ends

JackG and RC-1991 like this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No comment on your predictions (not gonna spoil you) but I find the comparison of Tyrion to an RPG character to be hilarious, now that I know how these things are played. :p

Ris_jSarek likes this.
  9. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Yeah, I don't want to spoil you either, nor ruin your fun Lugija. But I can say "you're right", "you're wrong", and "sorta"...

Although, I can't help myself with this one -
    That's one way to put it...

RC-1991 and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    There's one prediction there that I find really amusing, and you will too at the end of the season.

11. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    So...my facebook just exploded with links reporting that JJ Abrams is going to direct Episode 7.

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Man I can't wait for the opening crawl to be filled with lens flare.

13. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Eh, could've been worse.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wait wut?

wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut?

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Quick, somebody phone SD.N -- now we can really find out if the U.S.S. Enterprise could defeat a Star Destroyer! And we'll finally end the Kirk vs. Solo dispute!

Gorefiend likes this.
  16. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    That's an easy one: Sisko.

17. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll just leave this here, too.

[​IMG]

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ...note to self. Avoid parties that end at 5am and involve your ride getting lost in the completely opposite quadrant of the city. Yeeeesh.

Ok sleepy time for imperatores.

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    In last night's season premiere of the Starz television series Spartacus, Marcus Crassus was promoted to Imperator.

I thought of Star Wars, and then Jello, and laughed.

20. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    So he's now an Imperial I-class Star Destroyer? What was he before? A Venator?

Or am I walking too close to a Star Destroyer classes debate now?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Arrgh. You don't get promoted to imperator, you get acclaimed by your troops. That show !! I'm still going to watch it, but it seems whenever they try to veer towards making it slightly interesting, they have to go and muck something up. I hate them. :p

N.B., the hostess of yesterday's party was a small-scale EU fan. She was arguing with someone about the ST, and argued that of course Lucas would take the books into account. After all, they affect his universe in a major way so naturally he's read all of them. At the very least, she averred, Lucas must've read HttE. I was extremely amused and did my very best to not make it show, and instead diplomatically explained that Lucas couldn't care less what people had to say because his vision always took priority.

The notion that Lucas has read more than a little bit of EU was just... oh, the innocence of an EU fan that has not experienced the internet. To think that I was once so young.

Ris_jSarek and krtmd like this.
  22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Parties that end at 5pm are great, so long as they started around 8pm.

RC-1991 likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Erm. Yeah, that should have read 5am. I was tired. :p

24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Jello out late at parties? I thought you didn't like to drink? Unless something has changed, in which I should start your education on the many fine nuances of whiskey and whisky of all varieties. :D

On a side note- anyone play World at Arms? It is a iPad downloadable game that is fairly basic but highly addictive. You build your base, build various types of units, and proceed to liberate the world from some sort of Russian/North Korean/Chinese invasion.

--Adm. Nick

25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    So...Red Dawn: The Video Game? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.