main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What about that purple Hutt and Sy Sootles? Table rated PG-13 of course. :p

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    At least we'd get Quinlan in there!

(of course, I liked Ziro, so a ZIro table would be a welcome alternative- though i suppose he was in the movie so maybe he will show up)

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Of course your Krell idea isn't bad either. I like the idea of a pinball table berating you for how much you suck. It'd be like that stupid laughing dog in Duck Hunt, only not as psychologically damaging...

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ha! I hadn't even thought of that- I was thinking more along the lines of the visuals, but the table talking smack about you would be great. At the very least it would provide amusing Star Fox 64-like boss chatter...

Along another train of thought, an Ewoks table with a Teek fastball bonus would be fun as well, hehe.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    So I just finished Firefly (my longest television marathon in a long time... three episodes back to back! :p) . As predicted, I am officially angry at Fox.

Oh well. I'm planning on picking up the comics, and then the film ASAP.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yes, do so! The comics are decent, but the film is probably the best sci-fi film of 2005. ;)

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Best sci-fi of 2005? I've been somewhat interested in that film; now off to look for it on Netflix streaming.

8. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Make sure you watch the series first. You technically don't have to, but technically as in "you really really should, but we're not gonna say that". Only 14 episodes, all of which are good, most of which are fantastic.

Also, both Firefly (the series) and Serenity (the movie) are available on Netflix instant.

To be clear, all of the comics take place before the film, right? I kind of want to build up to the film as the grand finale for the series, but I don't want one of the comics randomly telling me about whoever bit the dust in the film.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not all of the comics, no. Those Left Behind and Better Days both take place between the series and the movie, but Float Out and The Shephard's Tale take place over a period of time that spans pre-movie to post-movie. Also, the one-shot from last year's free comic book day is post-movie as well.

So yes, spoilers ahoy in Float Out and The Shephard's Tale.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, absolutely watch the TV series before watching the film.

Also, am I the only one who found the film terribly uninspired? I mean, it tried -- it really did. But b/c they tried to resolve all the dangling plotlines of the cancelled show all at once, everything just felt way too forced. The actors were great and the writing itself was great, but the plot... ehhhh.

I watched it at midnight in 2005 during my first year of college; it was one of the most exciting and memorable movie experiences I've had (and the crowd was more into it than the ROTS midnight crowd earlier that year). Repeated viewings just seem stale in comparison.

Although perhaps that's why I'm judging it so harshly: failure to recapture the original magic of the first viewing. Dunno.

Ulicus and Zeta1127 like this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd say it was uninspired compared to the show, at least. Still very good, with lost of great moments and a pretty good plot, but lacking in some of the magic of the original series.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Also, damn you all I sort of want to jump onto Netflix and rewatch the series now.

13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [angryWash]Maybe I should do that![/angryWash]
    [angryMal]Maybe you should![/angryMal]
    [angryWash]Fine![/angryWash]

Barriss_Coffee and instantdeath like this.
  15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I imagine it's just the fact that Firefly is such a character driven series. Each episode has a plot, sure, but sometimes it almost feels like it takes a back seat. To essentially cram what's probably two or three seasons worth of plot points into two hours is going to hamper that a bit.

I haven't seen the film (therefore, I decree if you want to talk about the movie, use spoiler tags or I'll cry and then cut you), so I can't say for sure, but I imagine the effect of turning an episodic character piece into a plot driven blockbuster film would be fantastic for initial excitement, but not be quite as rewatchable.

You could argue that's just the "finale" effect. Often, the final part of a series is the most enthralling on first read/view, because everything's coming together, but because they tend to be so event driven, they don't really have time for smaller character moments. Plus, there's also that sense that you know what's going to happen, and on rewatches it's more fun to watch the pieces coming together then it is to watch them click in to place.

Or at least that's my theory.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, my problem with the show is that it's yet another show where the stinkin' rebel scum are the protagonists. Argh. It's like there's nobody to root for since they're all a bunch of criminals and barbarians. No, I say, stop being funny and likable, you browncoats!

17. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    My family has both Firefly and Serenity, so I can watch all of it whenever I want.

18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    What we'll actually get: Ahsoka.

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Now that I think about it... is there a single Alliance member in the show that's even remotely likable? :p

Thanks for warning me, I can't tell you how pissed I would have been if the comics spoiled it for me. So I'll just read the first two, then.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Series first it is then. Thanks guys. :)

21. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    anakinfansince1983 - Keep your eyes peeled for Han Solo in carbonite. They liked to hide him in the background.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    RE: Serenity, my feelings on that film were:

"Wow, that would have been great... if it had been twenty hours longer, had a smattering of cool filler episodes to break up the overarching plot, and had been called "Firefly Season 2".

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yep, basically.

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Ha, I missed that one. When was that?

Of course, for all intents and purposes Mal is Han. If they met the verse might implode.

25. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Someone compiled them, of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.