main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    OMG I love that. [:D]

Did you make that?

--Adm. Nick

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Spent some more time with Crusader Kings and took a turn playing as the Doge of Venice, well at least for the few years that it took for a Vendetta to completely escalate and end with my Patriarch dying along with his first 2 sons, one of his daughter and his wife, after I had the Patriarch of my competitors excommunicated and assassinated. Well of course I lost a lot of my family holdings and all my trading posts in the whole mess, along with the Doge title, though trough some exotic marriage policies I now get to play as a Count of the Holy Roman Empire and still have a Mayor Title in Venice. [face_plain] So time to pick up the pieces and get bloody revenge against the Serene Republic. :p

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I officially declare Lit to have too many sticky threads.

Ris_jSarek likes this.
  4. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    YES, I was just thinking that. Plus the little pushpin being waaaay over on the righthand side makes it tough to tell at a glance which are stickies and which aren't.

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I propose we cut the one with the least views.

The rules thread, obviously.

TrakNar likes this.
  6. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Fine, fine. I've cleaned up the sticky mess.

Trip, Gorefiend, krtmd and 2 others like this.
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    If I had a nickel for every time--never mind.

Ris_jSarek likes this.
  8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So I, like the brilliant genius that I am, had my GoT season 2 blurays sent to the wrong side of the continent. So even though they were delivered at like 10am on release day, I'll have to actually wait about half a month to watch them. :oops:

On the bright side, they were like dirt cheap thanks to Amazon's preorder guarantee.

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
  11. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    You lot are a riot.

Oi, let's have an anarchic punch-up with the Chelsea Shed boys at the Dog and Dark!

12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Did you mean the Dog and Duck in Bateman Street? :confused: Seems to be way to nice a place for Chelsea fans.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ah, lovely. I suppose that's one way to cut costs...

I suppose that's another advantage of social media and real time interwebs news: a thing like this would've been a local German story (if that) 20 years ago.

14. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    All major corporations are evil. Doesn't mean they're not useful occasionally. :p

TrakNar likes this.
  15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Site professing to be "the future of media," I am severely disappointed. If you're going to throw around claims of neo-Nazism, you have to support them. The original article is bad enough, labeling the guards neo-Nazis rather than more accurately and ethically describing them as possible neo-Nazis, but at least it highlighted the evidence connecting them to neo-Nazism. The Columbia Journalism Review definitively labels them as neo-Nazis without genuinely presenting one shred of the evidence linking them to neo-Nazism -- other than the fact that they have boots, short hair, and black clothes from a label that apparently is popular with neo-Nazis. But you don't get to advertise neo-Nazis in the sub-headline, and then totally fail to actually establish the existence of neo-Nazis. Not only is it a confusing letdown, but YOUR JOURNALISM SUCKS.

Unfortunately, this does appear to be the future of media.

16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    German thugs intimidating Poles? NEO-NAZIS!!!

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I could have linked the original German article, though it wasn't that much better in that regard, though the internet is abuzz with it by now, I just happened to link the first one I found in English.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I mean, the issue isn't characterization (which I took as typical media hyperbole -- though I see your point, Hav, that this kind of journalism is now "typical") but the description. In any case, I mostly ignored what that link had to say and read what the linked NYT article had to say instead. Regardless of the way workplace conditions are being characterized, the practice of repeatedly hiring cheap temp work is kind of shifty no matter which way you look at it.

19. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Another Thursday, another review of Game of Thrones (you asked for these, remember). This time it's the third episode of the second season. Have a propaganda shot, and then to the business. In spoiler tags, because WHY WARU WHY?

(By the way, I have to thank everyone for not spoiling. I know that the third season begins soon for the ruling class, which is a time when I should stay out of general Internet talks, but I feel kind of safe here. [Great job, Lugija. Honest, funny and now naive, you really want to die, don't you?])

[​IMG]

In hindsight, I think the titles map should have showed Storm's End instead of Dragonstone, and why do they keep showing Vaes Dothrak? We haven't been there in six episodes.

Instead of taking Jon as prisoner and/or sacrifice, Craster just gives him and his sword back to Mormont. Anticlimatic but clever, especially since by getting a Valyrian sword back Mormont is now in debt to him.

But now they leave? That's it? I think not, Craster and his daughters have their own part in all this. Samwell won't come back, though, I'm sorry to say. GRRM often seems to start sideplots but then people die and that's all folks.

Hodor to you too. Am I completely wrong if I guess that Bran's dreams are much more fantastical in the novel? I have a soft spot for maester Luwin, as I do for all maesters. They are the nerds of this world. And bravo for this show for having lots of monologues and keeping me interested in all of them.

And then we finally meet His Grace Renly I Baratheon, Him Who Uses A Kyle Katarn Beard And Is Not Yet Struck With Lightning. Still as idealistic and playful as he was in the last season. I'm looking forward to if he loses his ”king should be loved”-ideas as the war goes on.

I'm giving some respect for Balon Greyjoy, he really believes his words (when I first read their words ”We do not sow” I thought that of course they don't, they live on barren islands. They eat fish). But at the moment he's the clearest villain of the show (Cercei has been given motives enough to go around). He doesn't really have any other reason for his war than ”That's how we have always done it”. And poor Theon. I don't really know yet if his sexism is how the culture on the Iron Islands is or how he thinks it is based on the legends. He doesn't really have a home, for ten years he imagined it. I still don't like him. But his ”yo mama”-contests with Balon are entertaining. And I had goosebumbs during the ceremony of the Drowned God (Cthulhu, is that you?)

This is the second episode without Joffrey. I can't say I miss him. The other Lannister kids get lines, and show that they are just kids. Hopefully their puberty isn't as hard as Joffrey's. And I can't blame Sansa for being rude to Shae. How many months has she lived like that now? I've seen worse on three-day army camping trips.

Instead of a regular sexposition scene we get a sitcom named Renly and the Tyrells. It missed a laughtrack, though.

Tyrion really is no Ned Stark. He tricks the tricksters and gives the best laughs in this episode. Great cutting in the deception scene. But Pycelle, why? Him speaking to the queen wasn't a big twist, even Ned was after him. Shame on seeing him go, I liked to have him around making noises. And who would have known, we are actually getting somewhere with the mysteries of this show. Pycelle told the queen Arryn knew about Jaime and her, so someone poisoned him, and Pycelle made sure he died. Simple enough. But who was the poisoner? Why does Varys point at Baelish? And who sent the dagger to murder Bran, and why did Baelish blame Tyrion? More answers in the next week's episode of C.S.I. King's Landing!

Yoren, why did you have to give that monologue? Notice that Bronn is as mysterious as we first met him, and notice that he is not dead. ”I always hated crossbows. Takes too long to load” are fine last words, and you once again showed that a man of the Night's Watch is worth ten southeners, but then came the eleventh. Still, I'm sorry to lose both you and Pycelle in this episode (Pycelle may return, but not in good condition).

Nothing like seeing kids get killed before going to sleep. Arya shows her wits, and another one of my predictions is fulfilled (Arya won't get to the North). Harrenhal, here we come!

Summary of this episode: [face_dancing]:(=D=[face_laugh][face_beatup]:_|

krtmd, Blithe, Barriss_Coffee and 2 others like this.
  20. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Ha. This is too funny.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Renly's hat is even cooler than his beard, imo.

22. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    It's been while since I watched S2 Lugija, but if memory serves, it started a bit slowly and then really hit its stride mid-season.

I'm getting psyched for S3 - the season I've anticipated since reading the books.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Renly: Why settle for a hairdo, when you can have a stag do?:D

24. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    ours is the fury

[​IMG]

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm looking forward to seeing AFFC and ADWD b/c I want to see Braavos and Volantis on the screen. I want to see real cities, not the piddling hovels of Westeros.

krtmd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.