main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    RC-1991, Gorefiend, Havac and 3 others like this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I won't sleep tonight.

But I'm glad he's keeping the Stormie infiltration at bay. In the Amazon. And Antarctica.

s65horsey likes this.
  4. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Sounds to me like he's a follower of the Diversity Thread.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Apparently he's your biggest advocate, Coop. When you get publishing rights to the Essential Guide to Star Wars Diversity (ala a certain Chissly Ewok), you totally need to open the book with that quote.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    KYLE KATARN: DEFEATING THE PLANET ONE BIOME AT A TIME!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The Essential Guide to Star Wars Diversity will be two words long: "More, please."

(with an illustration by Chris Trevas of me looking disappointed)

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It should resemble your icon. Tycho looks pretty disappointed there.

Punched in the face... by PRIVILEGE.

CooperTFN likes this.
  9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Now this looks insanely fun. :D

10. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So, @ID and Jedi Ben, I finished Book 7 of Malazan.

Poor Trull Sengar. And yay, Hedge is back!

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think they need to tweak the physics engine a bit in RTW2 .... unless the Ptolemies had plutonium-powered ballistae.

[​IMG]

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm generally okay with ragdoll physics, as long as its used sparingly. Unrealistic as it is, it can be very satisfying. Of course, that seems like it could be a bit overboard.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Wow... even the Shouts in Skyrim don't deal that much force.

14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have known about Planetary Annihilation for about six months, and wondering how powerful of a computer I am going to have to buy in order to handle it and Star Citizen.
    Indeed, even Unrelenting Force doesn't do that much.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Heh. I backed Star Citizen... I have no hope of ever actually being able to play it, however.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    sigh.

Sometimes having a shattered molar makes it really hard to sleep.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Strange as it'll sound, Malazan is one of those stories that only the general pieces of remain in my head - the details? Forget it.

Oh yeah, Reaper's Gale, Rhulad decides he should fight Icarium. Idiot.

18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    That's what you get for mouthing off to Gethezeron.

Hope you feel better though.

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  19. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

I'm still waiting for Icarium to finally go to town on something. I get that one of the themes of the series is preventing crazy eldritch powers and such from being unleashed, but still. I want the Karsa Orlong/Icarium showdown, dammit!

Meanwhile, in book 8 Anomander Rake seems to be feeling more melancholy than Rhaegar Targaryen.

and now I'm not sure if I should be excited or terrified that the surviving Bridgeburners have a role in this book. On the one hand, the Bridgeburners are my favorite group of characters and are awesome and such, but on the other hand, every time more than 3 Bridgeburners appear in a book they tend to get decimated.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, in that case, I think you'll like their ultimate role RC.

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I finally got around to seeing the Watchmen film adaptation. I'm conflicted on it. On one hand, I did love the faithfulness it showed to the source material. There are some things you **** with, and some you don't. Guess which one Watchmen is. The only major element they changed, the manner in which Veidt takes out New York, I actually found I not only was fine with, but may have actually preferred. To tell the truth, the one element of the graphic novel I was never a huge fan of was the giant alien from another dimension angle: it just felt too fantastic for what was, at least by superhero comic book standards, such a grounded story. Using Doctor Manhattan, an existing element that can be used to explain his subsequent disappearance, was a very good move.

On the other, I couldn't help but feel they glamorized the characters too much, particularly Nite Owl. I mean, we're supposed to think this guy is just a little bit pathetic. We're supposed to, on some level, believe that the heroes cause just as much trouble as they prevent. Instead, going back to being super heroes was presented as the best decision they could have made. The graphic novel can certainly be read that way, but it's written in a way that clearly leaves the matter ambiguous. I was rather annoyed that particular angle of the story never came up.

Honestly, my biggest complaint by far doesn't even concern the movie itself. It concerns the song in the film credits. What were they thinking? I like My Chemical Romance. Welcome to the Black Parade is a relentlessly catchy album. But their cover of Desolation Row is just uninspired. In contrast, Bob Dylan's "Desolation Row" is pure magic put to tape. That guitar is beautiful to an almost otherworldly degree. Stuff like that is not only the reason I play guitar, but the reason I listen to music. And beside that, the lyrical content, the whimsical, foreboding pace of the song, all fit Watchmen to the letter. I loved that song long before I ever read Watchmen, and they go together so well that whenever I hear it, I can't help but mentally connect it to the story. It would have been a perfect song to put the ending credits to. Instead they play an ultra generic mutilation that carries none of the contemplative and cynical nature of the original.

But yeah, I'd say if my biggest complaint is the choice of song for the ending credits (though again, I'll note that song is so essential to the graphic novel that I'm willing to file it under the "Big Complaint" category), it's safe to say I enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing Man of Steel after everyone else has seen it.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    instantdeath at least they put "The Times They Are A-Changing" to good use. :) I saw the movie before reading the book, so I didn't have any adaptation issues when I saw it. After, though, I was upset how much they sidelined the original Nite Owl. His story was nearly as tragic as The Comedian's, IMO.

I did like the little animated version of Tales From the Black Freighter, though.

23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

You won’t, it is bad, really bad.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've heard extremely mixed reviews. I'll see it anyway, because A) Michael Shannon, B) Hans Zimmer score, C) Chris Nolan, and D) Michael Shannon, 'cause he deserves a second mention. ;)

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, like most of Syder's movies, mixed reviews across the board. As I mentioned, I really enjoyed Watchmen, and 300 is a good popcorn movie. Plus I've got a soft spot for Superman (speaking of which, I need to check out Superman Unchained. Hear it's good). But I hate crowded theaters, so I won't see it for a few days.

Forgot another reason why the MCR cover of Desolation Row was such a stupid, stupid choice: up until the very end, they had been very meticulous about the Cold War setting. Having a modern cover of an older song makes no sense, especially a cover that is musically indistinguishable, though arguably even more generic, than that artists usual repertoire. I have not seen it, but I'm almost positive I'd have the same problem with The Great Gatsby. I like hip-hop, but not in the Great Gatsby.

I also thought Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" was extremely well used. I must admit that I prefer the Jeff Buckley version, but the Cohen version fit that scene much better. Just like Dylan's Desolation Row would have been a better closer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.