main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The ones that began after the series got axed and led up to the Romulan War were quite good. Been ages since I read 'em though. I'm looking forward to the upcoming The Fall series.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not actually true. It's just sustained a flesh wound. Part of it is still active; the part that says states don't have to recognize gay marriages performed in other states.

Still a ways to go.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's a house of cards now--if they went this far this time, what are they going to do when it comes to them again in a couple years?

4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    You mean the reboot books? I have the two Romulan war books, which were pretty good, far better than the series was. Didn't know there was another one coming out.
    Any word on a third Department of Temporal Investigations book?

I wish I had money to buy more of these books. I hate being tapped out, especially with Warhammer 40K Apoc being released in a little over a week :(

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Actually, considering how much time I've spent making faces for NPCs in the Dragon Age toolset (much more time than I've actually ever spent playing the game), I probably shouldn't judge. :p

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  6. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Pretty pleased to hear that, although Scorpia Rising was the last spy adventure for Alex Rider, Anthony Horowitz has kept his word to write the long rumored novel centering around Yassen Gregorovich. Titled Russian Roulette: The Story of An Assassin, it will focus on Yassen's early life and reportedly lead up to the beginning of Stormbreaker. I wouldn't be surprised if this book does better than the main Alex Rider works. After all, the hints dropped in Stormbreaker, Eagle Strike, Scorpia, and Snakehead about Yassen's life have been darn intriguing, especially the tidbit that John Rider trained Yassen while he was working undercover within Scorpia.

7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So, for all of you Malazan readers, I am about halfway through Dust of Dreams.

I love that there is an entire warrior cult that worships Coltaine, and it hails from Seven Cities. It's just so awesome.

instantdeath likes this.
  8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    You actually missed a brief Malazan conversation the other day. The long and short of it: Anomander Rake prequel trilogy. **** yeah.

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Rereading Dark Empire II, and I'm once again struck by just how damn unnecessary this story is. It's not terrible- though its definitely of lesser quality than the first volume- but I can't help but feel it makes Palpatine into something of a joke, when he was actually quite threatening in the first volume.

That said, Palpatine being able to bestow Force sensitivity onto any of his subjects does raise some interesting implications. Not that I particularly like shoving midi-chlorians into everything, but to me it does suggest that Palpatine has mastered midi-chlorian manipulation on a level that even Plagueis didn't dream of.

I know this is the place where we don't talk about Star Wars, but this observation wasn't worth a thread :cool:

Ulicus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

This isn't the JCC. You shan't be tarred and feathered. This time.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Pretty sure I've talked about Star Wars in here before.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Admitting your crime was your first mistake!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll prepare for my Lit-forum style high-class intellectual flogging.

You can even flog me in Latin and I'll have no idea what the hell you're saying.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    But devoting a thread to every random thought that pops into one's head is the new thing, didn't you know? :p

instantdeath likes this.
  17. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009

The Kharkanas Trilogy, right?

I always read Rake's lines in a James Earl Jones voice, and Silchas Ruin's as Benedict Cumberbatch.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Also posted info on Assail too.

19. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Oh sweet! Where was this convo?

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I could see James Earl Jones fitting Rake quite well. Personally, I "hear" him with a bit of a softer voice; elegantly and softly spoken, in stark contrast to his appearance. I'm kind of curious how the audiobook portrays him.

Anyway, it's two pages back, here's the relevant post.

21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Always a dangerous game to name your kid or pet after a fictional character in a series that's still being written.

Ain't that right, CooperTFN?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    krtmd and Gorefiend like this.
  24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999

:_|

25. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I do hope Erikson gets around to writing his Malazan Encyclopedia, or whatever it's going to be called. I really want more information on the First Empire, as well as a good chronology of the Malazan Empire.

Also, that blurb sounds fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.