main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Actually I tried to do that but slipped on the controls and hit him in the shoulder and killed him that way. [face_dunno]But then you seem to kill 100+ people in this game anyway.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I like the Medina best, except the price tag is simply absurd.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Jello, I'm back in a few days, so i'll post all my pics then. I know, what? People use cameras besides their iPhones!? :p

And yeah, ive been on my iTouch this whole time, so typing has been a bitch.

I need to watch all 3 Toy Storys back to back sometime. Im sure many tissues will be required. I was in that age group who grew up right along with Andy. Watching the third one after having left for college not too long ago myself = all my feels.

4. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Hooray, I'm home. Maine, NH, and a brief stop in Cambridge were all delightful, but nothing like the traffic of Jersey and Delaware to leave a sour taste in my mouth on the way home. Mount Laundry awaits.

5. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Seems like everyone's been doing a bit of traveling this month. I just got back from three weeks of work in Louisiana on Wednesday.

QFT, particularly the nasty cocktail.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    LI yeah it's beyond reasonable. Also the pen is huuuuge. Saw it at the store.

Todd -- I wish I had a normal camera but my old digital cam is a decade old and useless. But game drive pics on a zoom less iphone ate dreary. On the brought side... There's a great map if all the places on earth I've taken photos in the last three years on my iPhones. That is a pretty sweet feature.

As for Toy Story 3 -- real men don't worry if people see them cry because they are so secure that nothing can shake their confidence.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a nice Nikon D80 but it's heavy as hell so I usually take pictures on my iPhone unless I'm going somewhere for the specific purpose of taking pictures.

I finally got to travel this summer. I'm in Massachusetts on a whirlwind trip, apparently the weather is the best it's been all summer, but I'm in summer-weather heaven, mid-70s and low humidity. We hiked down to Walden Pond yesterday.

As far as movies--real men cry during sad ones and aren't afraid to own it, even if they don't do it in front of other people (I won't either and I'm not a man :p ). Insecure men pretend they're too macho to be shaken up by a good story.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  8. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Nice. We had lovely weather in New England last week. 70s and sunny, save for one day of torrential rain. Cool nights for great sleeping.

Such a nice break from the swampiness of DC, even though we are being spared the usual oppressive heat of August this year.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I remember it being surprisingly mild before I left... I still hated going out in the sun but it wasn't nearly as monstrous as last year.

Of course, the week that my building's AC went down was just the worst.

I got a cool video of female antelopes chasing off a leopard today -- they yelled and hissed at the guy until he slinked off in fear. It was awesome. Also got a video of lionesses licking their cubs super close to our car.

Oh and @Lugjia was sorta right. The animal I liked best was the one that does not feature at the gift shops at all. No stuffed animals, no statues, nothing... But I love antelopes. In this case, Thompson gazelles and impala.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    But don't we eat the antilope?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's funny, im such a huge fan of Thoreau and live in Mass, yet ive never taken the relatively quick trip to Walden. Or Lexington and Concord for that matter. (even though ive driven to other places in the far reaches of Mass)

As for cameras, i have a Canon powershot SX110 IS. Gives me a lot of options for taking really good pictures. Believe me, ima bombard this thread and other social threads with pics of my trip. When i travelled to Alaska a few years ago i took over 700 photos. Im relatively certain ive taken a similar amount this trip.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

I have this great pic from atop a ridge that I'm going to caption with "everything the light touches will be your kingdom".

And I've had lion king songs stuck in my head this whole trip. Seriously, when I saw that sleeping lion earlier today...

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

13. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I hope both Todd the Jedi and GrandAdmiralJello post pics in this thread. I love travel photos. Our beloved digital Canon Rebel gave us the dreaded "Error99" code on this trip and refused to go on. *weeps*

14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Get her while she's canon.

JackG, Gorefiend and CooperTFN like this.
  16. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    So apparently someone put most of these up on a blog, gotta say they're proving very interesting so far. Might start up a new thread about them, but in the meantime I'm gonna keep going through them. I love how condescendingly badass Darth Vader is. And the fact his top naval officer has a fur-trimmed cape.

Hey, GrandAdmiralJello, is that within regs? :p

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  18. Bly

Mar 28, 2005
    Oh good grief, he's a regular officer.

...and he didn't even have the taste for his loincloth to be field-grey, for shame.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Bah I hate thurs fan service statue things.

You can make a thread for the CSW comics but don't link to that blog. That wouldn't be ok, since Dark Horse has collected and reprinted those comics.

Also yes, Admiral Griff has an interesting fashion sense. Very unexpectedly Edwardian of him.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Definitely should be a thread for those, you're in for a treat Bly.

I really enjoyed Admiral Griff as a rival to Vader, who nonetheless was aware his ambition exceeded his grasp but couldn't stop himself.

21. Bly

Mar 28, 2005
    I'm really enjoying his character. I'm always a sucker for regular military types who aren't elite fighter jocks or special forces, and it's always nice to see the backroom politicking in the Fleet. I think Darth Vader Strikes is probably the only time we've ever actually seen an Imperial officer get willingly force-choked.

And Vader's idea for how to christen the Executor is one of those moments of condescending badassery I'm talking about. Glasses of wine all around? Kriff that, we're going to go blow up a rebel base. :cool:

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I can remove it, if you want.

*idly looks at fingers*

:cool:

23. Bly

Mar 28, 2005
    Go on then, show off your modly powers to the peons. :p

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So I went to the equator today. Got to see water rotate in different directions on each side. Super awesome but completely fake of course.

Also today's hotel is a former estate of some Arab arms dealer. We have an entire guest house to ourselves -- massive. It abuts a watering hole so you can see tons of animals.

Most importantly... People from the Lit chat will recall my pondering whether to buy this set of royal shampoo. Well it turns out that this hotel has the complete set of lotion, ath gel, conditioner etc for our disposal. Score!!

jSarek likes this.
  25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Did they happen to mention which one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.