Lit CAD BANE IS DUROS... AND SHEEV'S ALL THAT - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
  2. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Because the crispy jokes never get old:
    [IMG]
  3. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Hey, the South isn't completely awful. I'm here. :p

OK, the South is awful except for me.

I've never heard of a lionfish rodeo and I'm having trouble envisioning the concepts of "fish" and "rodeo" together. How the hell do you get the fish on a horse?

And I just got the 10k trophy. I've never run that far in my life.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Hopefully you mean you've never run that far at any one time :p
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    LOL, touché.

I've run that far in three days or so before, just never in one session.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Longest I've ever done at one time would be... 8 to 10 miles, wasn't exactly sure how long and the coach wasn't terribly clear... that was an agony though (I could never do a marathon!). 3 miles / 5k are just about perfect racing distance though. Sadly, I haven't done one in... actually, you know, I'm not going to count how many years it's been because I don't want to know.
  7. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    I am too. I believe this only strengthens my point.
  8. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Re: running. Three miles is pretty much my limit. And I haven't done that in awhile.

My 61-year-old mother runs the Tar Heel Ten Miler every year though.
    Last edited by anakinfansince1983, Aug 22, 2013
  9. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Clever Affleck comment.
  10. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    He was the bomb in Phantoms.
    Todd the Jedi and CooperTFN like this.
  11. Cynical_Ben Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm willing to give him a shot. People didn't think Christian Bale or Michael Keaton could pull of the cape and cowl, either. And hey, all he has to do is be better than George Clooney, and he'll be fine.
  12. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    I will copy/paste my comments from the JCC thread:

The main concern I have about this casting isn't Affleck's talent, but this whole "Batman is the elder, veteran crimefighter to Supes newbie" thing they seem set on.

"He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne." -- Snyder

I mean, fair play if they want to try something different, but I'm so used to them being of comparative ages and experience that this seems really, really weird. Especially if they're wanting this to progress into a Justice League movie.

Though if this means that Affleck's first solo Batman film is also his last, and we get DICK GRAYSON BATMAN in the JL movie, all will be forgiven.
  13. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    It's clear they want to tap into DKR as much as they possibly can, and that's way harder with a newbie Batman. And even going forward into JL, I can see how Bats would play more plausibly as an equal to the others if he's been around for a while.

As for Affleck specifically, I think he could do a good job if the role is handled right. I'm more disappointed insofar as it seems very uncreative on WB's part--"Affleck's popular, get him in a superhero thing. He doesn't want to direct Justice League? **** it, offer him Batman."
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Aug 22, 2013
  14. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    It's a bad call. Boring casting that doesn't have any surprise or positive vibes attached. Maybe he'll be okay, maybe he'll be good . . . but there are plenty of actors out there you don't have to say "maybe" about.
  15. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    As a friend of mine said online:

krtmd and CooperTFN like this.
  16. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    After the misfire that is DArk Knight rises, I have no problem with Affleck taking over the role. Maybe Matt Damon as Robin, and we could have some cool Dogma references...
  17. Cynical_Ben Force Ghost

star 4
    At work tonight, a friend of mine texted his girlfriend and asked her who the worst possible pick for Batman would be. Her first answer was Matt Damon. He replied, close. Her next pick was Ben Affleck.

Like I said, I'm willing to give him a shot, and I think he'll be perfectly serviceable. But Uli is right, if they're planning on transitioning to a Justice League franchise from this movie, unless they turn Dick Grayson (Or Joseph Gordon-Levit's character from DKR) into Batman, they're going about it the wrong way. Making Batman the grizzled old veteran to Supes young, naive hero is a surefire way to not only mess up the team dynamics, but also tick a lot of people off, especially the Superman fans.
  18. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    So Daredevil is going to be Batman? Well, the Human Torch somehow ended up as Captain America, so I don't really know what to think about this development.
    CooperTFN likes this.
  19. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    Could have been Nick Cage...
  20. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I don't have a problem with Affleck, but after Man of Steel, I won't see this movie until it streams on Netflix.

I didn't hate Man of Steel but it wasn't worth ten dollars plus popcorn.
    GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  21. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    I think Man of Steel took care of that just fine. I liked it alright myself, but it was decidedly not a love letter to Superman dogma.
  22. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    Gorefiend and The Loyal Imperial like this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
  24. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, and the first paid DLC pack will be nomadic cultures- Roxolani, Scythians, and Massagetae.

ETA: I'm rather digging this whole free DLC thing they are doing.
    Last edited by RC-1991, Aug 23, 2013
  25. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah huh -- as much as I despise paid faction DLC, I might buy those just because they're giving us the really cool ones -- Athens, Sparta, Epirus, Pontos, and the Seleucidae -- for free.