main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is it the placement of the thumb that differ giving the finger from finger guns?

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    He is doing the Spacer Salute, just like Lando gives Han in Ep 6 before the Tydirium launches. ;)

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah. Thoug I also photoshopped the image in such a way that sharing it here would be inappropriate.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    A general recommendation for anyone with a taste for quality TV - you must watch The Wipers Times.

Any UK-based poster has no excuse not to see this brilliant 90-minute drama of how a group of WW1 soldiers wrote and published a satirical newspaper from the trenches! An excellent cast brings to life a truly brilliant script that strikes just the right tone, while conveying a chronicle of times both so serious and absurd you could not make it up - indeed the story is factual!

There's far worse ways to spend 90 minutes.

Gorefiend likes this.
  5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Dammit. I finally got around to watching this (yeah, I'm the type of person who keeps dozens of tabs open at once that I'll "get to", though most I never do), and I just assumed this was a new CGI trailer. I am disappointed.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Did they ever have another CGI trailer after the game was released?

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    My copy of GTAV is on its way. Yes. Oh, yes.

Ulicus likes this.
  8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005

WHICH REMINDS ME:

Guys: YOUTUBE CENTER. If you're not using it, you should be. Google it.

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  9. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

Did they ever bother doing any more timeline videos, or did they leave it hanging right around the Great Hyperspace War, for that matter?

10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Both features died.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If only the game itself had gone the same way. I'd miss Lord Fatso, but oh well.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I wouldn't really say the CGI trailer feature "died" so much as it just ended; I was really hoping there would be more, but it seems they only ever had three planned. Not that I can really blame them. Just one of those trailers is ridiculously expensive, and most games don't have one, much less three.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Okay, really dumb question (and I should probably ask this in the videogame forum, but I don't want to be ranked out): There were no CGI-ish cutscenes of the trailer-caliber in the actual game, right? I don't recall seeing any on youtube, and I recall a lot of people were bummed out they didn't have one for the big Revan finale.

Edit: oh RIGHT -- I totally forgot about those timeline videos! Well that sucks.:(

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They'd probably have made a better use of their budget just making a series of CGI trailers to tell a story rather than creating the money sink that is an MMO anyway.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    How did Galaxies end, BTW? Did they actually have some grand finale, or did they just treat it like a bar closing up for the night?

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I thought the timeline thing did end? I don't remember where exactly, but I distinctly remember watching one that didn't end with "in my next entry, I'll..."

17. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Nope, they had several more planned, and they cancelled the feature before they were even close to finishing.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    From what I saw, it looked like there was a grand finale. They had a big war in the last days leading up on each server, and thus Imperial or Rebel themed fireworks would be launched on the last day depending who won. Also GMs would randomly bring movie NPCs into the partying and have a fun time (and occasional brawls) or something. There was a memorial pdf picture book thing they released right after the game closed... so many memories.

SWG >>>>>>> TOR

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I guess Lance Henriksen didn't come cheap.

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd have much preferred it. A 15 or so minute CGI movie for each class? That could have been fantastic (though unfortunately very unrealistic; while TOR likely at least made back its budget, there's really no conceivable way a few trailers could have, save perhaps releasing them as one animated movie, and that wouldn't even begin to cover the costs of how expensive it would be to do over an hour of that quality of CGI).

I don't hate TOR, but I have the same problem with it that I do with every MMO: as I play, I get the sickening feeling that the developers are actively trying to waste my time as efficiently as possible.

Lugija and Gorefiend like this.
  21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    That's it really. "We are close to finding out the spy! We'll get him just after you have killed 10 brigands, found an energy pack, killed the gang leader and cleaned up your room. In that order."

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Everyone says Anakin Skywalker is a monster for destroying a village of Tuskens... what about the TOR Jedi who consider it a bonus if they've slain like 500 Tuskens or something?

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Ah, but they aren't doing it for revenge. They're doing it for sport. And exp, of course. There is no emotion; there is exp.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Game mechanics like that are never monstrous. Just loads of exhilarating fun. :D

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Fun? Fun!? More like torture. You don't know how badly I wanted to get off that dustball to finally visit Alderaan, and they kept telling me that I had another few hundred Tuskens to slay first! And Geonosians. And droids. And argh.

I hate Tatooine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.