main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm a state employee, and as bat**** crazy as the North Carolina General Assembly is, I don't have to worry about this.

Restrictive abortion legislation attached to a motorcycle bill being passed at midnight on a Sunday, yes.

Not passing budgets...no.

jSarek likes this.
  2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I wish it reached down far enough that I didn't have to worry about jury duty this week. But that's a county thing, not a national one, so, bother.

The jury room had a TV set to some stock channel where they were going on about how the only ones making a big deal about the government shutdown is the government itself; most everyone else is just going on business as usual, and apparently, from what they said, the stocks aren't falling all that far. Not yet, at least. I don't know anything about the stock market or how much the shutdown will affect things so, I just take it like I take all TV news: with a small satchel of salt.

3. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Half of my dad's office is going to be gone tomorrow because of the shutdown. [face_plain]

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ding ding and we're shut.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    EVERYBODY PANIC

6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    And the rest of world lets out a collective chuckle.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    My reaction-
    [​IMG]

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

:( That sucks.

Wait your dad's surname doesn't happen to begin with an "O", does it? Is your house white? What shape is your dad's office?

jSarek and Bib Fartuna like this.
  9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Barriss_Coffee

Nope.
    White AND Red
    Pentagon

In all seriousness my dad is military so he still has to still go to work and get paid and stuff. It is just that all of the civilians working for him can't work and are not getting paid.

10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    One could argue that eliminates a significant amount of fiction that you can enjoy. Hell, I'd argue that it completely eliminates Shakespeare.

Of course, I'm a firm believer that great characterization and intricate writing can overcome any premise that you don't like, so I'd still suggest giving it a chance (I'm willing to bet almost all preconceived notions will be shattered).

[face_laugh]

Sorry, I'm just getting this hilarious image of someone trying Breaking Bad looking for an Office-type show and being absolutely traumatized. I'd say The Simpsons and Hannibal have more in common.

Well, if there's a show worthy of having walls of text written about it, it's Breaking Bad. More so, I'd personally argue, than Game of Thrones.

I don't think it's quite as spoiled as you think it is. Him getting cancer is a first episode type of thing. Plus, even if some idiot did happen to spoil the finale, I'd argue that it doesn't matter too much. As I've argued, BB is a character driven, not plot oriented show. In fact, season 5 is set up that from the first episode, due to a flash forward, you pretty much know what's going to happen in the last episode. But even knowing the final event doesn't lessen the impact.

I know some people are sick of hearing about it, but I really do think it advances the television medium as an art form, which isn't something you can say about most TV shows. It really is one of those things that I think everyone should watch (if the final scene of the episode "Crawl Space", or the final scene of the second to last episode doesn't give you chills, you may not have a pulse)

Also, I haven't heard anything about this shutdown. I'm too busy talking about a TV show. Goes to show where my priorities are :p

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Apparently Homeland Security and DoJ are almost entirely unaffected.

DoD, on the other hand, constitutes over 50% of the shutdown by itself.

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Barriss_Coffee, I just started Breaking Bad, and am now a season and change in. It's about a chemistry teacher who gets diagnosed with lung cancer and starts making meth to leave his family some money. It's fundamentally about how a man's decision to become a criminal causes him to spiral further and further, about how people change, about how his latent hubris changes an average family man into a monster. It's highly entertaining, quality TV. I've yet to buy the "best show of all time" stuff (it has absolutely nothing on Mad Men so far), but then, I'm early in the run. I recommend it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Also it has the dad from Malcolm in the middle in it. Fun fact Frankie Muniz who plays Malcolm is actually older then justin berfield who plays malcolm's older brother reese.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That reminds me, apparently I never saw the last three episodes or so of Mad Men's prior season... I should fix that.

15. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
  16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Mad Men is the next show I need to watch. Either that or Buffy, at least, but I think I'll be going for the former.

Also, I think Breaking Bad is one of those truly rare shows where each season is better than the last. The possible exception for me is that season 4 might be my favorite, just because I consider Gustavo Fring the best enemy Walt's ever had, but one could argue that his main enemy from the fifth season is himself...

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    TV sometimes becomes like homework, where I feel like I have so many shows to watch that I just procrastinate on them.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  18. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Maybe if it was the BEST HOMEWORK EVER.

Point Given likes this.
  19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    What about the DoE?

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  21. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Interesting, though that doesn't exactly tell me what I wanted to know.

22. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Congress, thank you for not doing your job. Of course Congress is "Essential" so is still getting paid. First thing to go should be congressional pay and staffers.

Have not watched Mad Men either, even though I really like Allison Brie. I suppose I'd rather not get actor-shock from Community

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I keep hearing that -- but I don't think people realize that congressional pay is not part of the yearly federal budget appropriation, but is part of a separate appropriation. The suggestion that you offer -- that Congress not be classed as essential -- would mean that were congressional pay to be part of the standard appropriation, it would be illegal for them to work. If they did not work, they could never pass a budget.

There have been several attempts over the years to tie Congressional salaries to the timely passage of a budget, but that is a provision in a separate law that triggers when the budget isn't passed and not part of the budget itself. Furthermore, the 27nd Amendment would require any changes to Congressional pay to take effect in a following session, meaning that it is utterly irrelevant to the situation at hand.

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    So I found this amusing

My absolute favorite is the "I'm the one who knocks" scene as written by Dr. Seuss.

“What do you think that it could be?
    A horse, a cow, a tree, a bee?
    You silly lady, don’t you see?
    There is just one hand that can knock
    It’s not a whimdingler come out of its flock
    Nor a wackzinglit in a tick-tock clock
    It’s a human hand and it’s on a spree
    That hand is free and belongs to me.”

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Mad Men is on my Netflix queue to try next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.