Lit CAD BANE IS DUROS... AND SHEEV'S ALL THAT - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

1. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    No need to get pedantic. It's an expression of frustration with the partisan crap that creates unnecessary gridlock, not a policy statement.
  2. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Oh, I think most of the people who say it really believe it.
    GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  3. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It's definitely been put forth as a serious proposal.
  4. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    So since I just had a marathon sitting to finish Breaking Bad, totally worth it btw., any other shows currently worth watching, preferable ones that are finished or just finishing so one can watch them in one go? :)
    Last edited by Gorefiend, Oct 1, 2013
  5. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, there are a lot of people proposing ridiculous things as if they know what they're talking about, or as if what works in the business world would work there. Many of them involve Congressional pay, as if congressmen were working men and women whose primary concern was around their compensation... I guarantee that they have other, more lucrative sources of income than their federal salary :p

But my favorite is where someone said like "Congress should have merit-based pay, then I guarantee they'd have a 500% increase in efficiency!" There are so many things wrong with that one that I don't even know where to begin.
    jSarek likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    From my perspective as a government employee, it seems that there are a lot of little pots of money and that each little pot must be allotted and voted upon separately, which does seem really inefficient. It gets frustrating when I only have two dollars per student to spend on books but other departments have more than they need due to each allotment having to be dealt with separately although the money comes from the same source.

As far as the shutdown, I'm glad my Dad got out of the Coast Guard when he did and took a civilian job so he doesn't rely on that pension as his sole source of income.
  7. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    PS, I still have to do court filings because it's the county courthouse not the federal one GOD DAMN IT.
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Oct 1, 2013
  8. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    I do have to admit I find it rather silly that Congress gets to decide its own pay.

I mean, I understand why they did it, as English Kings used their control of Parliament's pay to shut down opposition at times, but the negative effects seem rather obvious.

...Course, I am not really sure who should decide their pay then.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, that was the biggest problem with that dude's merit suggestion. Forget the insane metric of deciding what merit is, but whomever got to decide Congress's merit pay would become more powerful than lobbyists ever were :p
  10. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Trust me, having your reps set their own pay and claim expenses on "honourable grounds" alone is a disaster.

I know of what I speak!
  11. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    I may have watched the new Hobbit trailer a few too many times, but... can't we just shoot black arrows at the problem?
  12. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    "It's a million to one chance, it might just work"
    "What if it's not?"
    "What if it's a 999,999 to 2 chance?"
  13. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    Fortunately, I'm State government, so all I have to do is field questions about whether we're shut down. (Answer: we're not)
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!! I had completely forgotten this was supposed to come out today. Thanks for reminding me -- I'm off (on an internet adventure) to find it!

EDIT: AWESOME!!! I much watch it again immediately. I'm surprised they'll have enough to do a third film after this -- the Battle of the Five Armies looks like it was practically underway already.
    Last edited by Barriss_Coffee, Oct 1, 2013
  15. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh are we talking about Lord of the rings/The hobbit? *Yawn*
    Wake me up when the discussion is over. Or when you start talking about about one his good films, Like Braindead/Dead Alive
  16. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    [IMG]
    Ulicus likes this.
  17. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    lol philippa boyens gtfo w/ ur legolas/oc fic
  18. krtmd Force Ghost

star 4
    Having a paid legislature is the only way "average people" could ever do it. I realize that most who do it these days are most likely wealthy or upper middle class simply because of the way our system has gone, but yeah, it's kind of important that it be possible for someone to be a Representative or a Senator as their job.

It's just too bad that it has come to this. I know many fine people who are furloughed right now. Folks who have already suffered under sequester and pay increase freezes. You all are very polite here in Lit. It's a jungle out there in Facebook land.
  19. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
  20. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
  21. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I only looked at my Facebook feed once today. Looking again would involve copious amounts of wine.
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
  23. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow. Best RT Podcast ever.

Language Warning:

24. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
  25. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6