Lit CAD BANE IS DUROS... AND SHEEV'S ALL THAT - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    Ugh, no one should ever try to inflict A Few Good Men on anyone else. That's just mean.
  2. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    You raise a good question...

Why aren't Labyrinth and the Dark Crystal on that list? Add the Neverending Story to it, and Return to Oz.
  3. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 5
    I so want to see Return to Oz
  4. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    It probably says something about me that I have seen these movies, minus Dark Crystal. Admittedly, the only reason I got anywhere near Labyrinth was for David Bowie.
  5. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    So all the ships have names right?
    AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  6. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    Yes they do! All classic Rebel names. :D

--Adm. Nick
  7. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    Are you going to tell us the names?
  8. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I always liked the names Rebellion used. Small Rebel ships had nimble names or those emphasizing such. Small Imperial ships had mythological names, which I loved. Big ships had a separate name pool.

I extracted the names from the DLL files if anybody is interested.

haha I loved it as a kid but maybe it was because I was a kid. Wonder what I'd think of it now that I actually know law, and have JAG friends to boot.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.
    CooperTFN likes this.
  9. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    It's just a terrible movie. Demi Moore is bad, Tom Cruise is absolutely terrible because his character refuses to hit any other note than "world's glibbest bro" without communicating anything sympathetic or interesting, and the plot is just horrifically stupid, confused, and patronizing. "These Marines aren't responsible for what they did . . . because they were just following orders! Also, because all Marines are poor, retarded dupes!" It's an absolutely wretched film that gets a pass because Jack Nicholson shouts. And that's not even Nicholson's best scene in the movie.
  10. Cynical_Ben Force Ghost

star 4
    So, out of freaking nowhere, this is something that exists: Star Wars: Attack Squadrons, an online-only free to play PvP starfighter game taking applications for closed beta testing. I've already signed up.
  11. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    The Galactic Starfighter expansion for SWTOR came out about two weeks ago but I haven't heard anyone mention it on the forum.
  12. Cynical_Ben Force Ghost

star 4
    That's because no one plays TOR anymore. :p
  13. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    Well, no one here, anyway. I've been pondering the niche tastes of this forum.
  14. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    A lot of KotOR fans can't stand what TOR did to Revan and Meetra Surik (Jedi Exile), so that's part of the problem. I don't have much interest in that era, so of course I would be interested in KotOR before I would even think about TOR.
    tjace and spicer like this.
  15. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    You mean the Karpyshyn novel Revan?
  16. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    Both the Revan novel and the game itself actually.
  17. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    I dunno, I don't have a problem with people disliking stuff, but I observe this tendency for people to develop negative preconceptions about stuff and then only seek reinforcement of the preconception as an excuse to bypass the experience entirely.

I'm down on the post-NJO, but the difference is that I read it. I mean, no offense, but I guess I just have less respect for an opinion that is ultimately based on secondhand accounts, especially when it is loudly trumpeted about repeatedly.
    Mia Mesharad likes this.
  18. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, my first reaction to hearing about the plot of the post-NJO was disbelief, and my first reaction to hearing about the premise of TCW, with its radical changes to the Clone Wars timeline and things like Maul's "return" and the Tantive IV retcon, was combination of disbelief and a feeling that I had been lied to for years, so naturally I am not even going to bother with either. I actually have played and even beat TFU, and I ultimately can't accept it because of something as simple as the changes to the founding of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. I am very opinionated and, ultimately, very frustrated with the current state of Star Wars.
    Last edited by Zeta1127, Dec 17, 2013
    darthscott3457 likes this.
  19. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    I just landed in Houston for a business trip, but I will try to post a list of the names tonight. I am a big fan of classic Alliance names, as well as many of the names used in the Rebellion computer game.

@GrandAdmiralJello

I would love to see a list of ship names from Rebellion!

--Adm. Nick
  20. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    I'm choosing to squint my eyes and pretend this is XvT 2 until proven otherwise.
  21. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
  22. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    As you wish. I attempted to categorize them for my own reference, because I like using them myself (recall that Rebellion only chooses names for the AI, not for you); I can't guarantee the accuracy of the categories, but I can guarantee that the list of names itself is definitive.

adding spoiler tag to avoid scrolling the page (open)

Last edited by GrandAdmiralJello, Dec 17, 2013
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Who could forget the good ol' Nebulon-B Frigate Stringtable?
    jSarek and Lazy Storm Trooper like this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Pronounced, of course, Strinkt-uh-buhl.
    Last edited by GrandAdmiralJello, Dec 17, 2013
    krtmd and CooperTFN like this.
  25. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Come on people, is the Colonel's underwear a matter of national security? Do you want to spend a week going blind on paperwork because a seaman second class bought and smoked a dime bag of oregano?

I love A Few Good Men, it's one of my favorite movies. And I was 21 when it premiered.

I didn't think a lot about it making the Marines look bad or whether the plot was remotely realistic though. I was entertained by Cruise, Kevin Bacon, Kevin Pollack, Demi Moore, Nicholson, and Noah Wylie. And Wolfgang Bodison is hot. :p

I agree with Havac that "You can't handle the truth!" is not Nicholson's best scene though. Hell, it's not even close. The scene when he pointed out to Cruise that Moore outranked him was much better.

I agree. Everything I have heard about the post-NJO sounds terrible but I almost feel the need to read it so I can trash it in an educated manner.
    Last edited by anakinfansince1983, Dec 17, 2013
    jSarek and Gamiel like this.