main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I strongly suspect that Collins is using a descriptivist model there, in the sense that we see news media using it as a verb and the like. That's not how law enforcement uses it.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Definitely finding that to be the case so far. And yeah, I'm surprised at how... low key Waru is so far. Even imagining him with Gilbert Gottfried's voice isn't making him entertaining. I was hoping for a wacky Waru myself. Doesn't mean I won't continue to worship Him, of course.

Nonetheless, I do think the sections written from Jaina's point of view are generally very well done. I find it interesting that the kids are already developing key parts of their later personalities.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ID, I've always maintained that The Crystal Star is a great book.... for the children. The prose is well-written from a child's point of view, both with their stubborn view of the world as well as the childlike wonder with which they look at things. The problem with TCS is that the adults were written like children too :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  4. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

AC2 and AC Revelations. Or trying to, as it happens.

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Hey, Greg Weisman re-tweeted my mention of the article I wrote for Eleven-Thirtyeight and I thought that was cool. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    If I've learned one thing this week it's that voice actors love them some Twitter.

7. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    a year or so ago i posted a tweet to Steve Blume about a photoshop i did involving a ton of his characters, and he replied back. Also i don't know if any of you guys know who Littlekuriboh is, but i met him at a convention in Minneapolis and gave him a Marik figure and he tweeted about it.

8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is on sale on Steam RIGHT NOW for $5.09.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It's not every day I consume enough pizza and doughballs to end world hunger five times over, either.

Today is a good day.

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm going to imagine that it was a gigantic, city-block sized pizza that you consumed.

Ulicus likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So, Frozen. That'll do, Disney, that'll do.

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Close enough.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I may have liked Tangled better overall, but Let it Go is the only song in either that comes anywhere near the 90's.

14. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I love it a lot.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Took you long enough! As I've said in this thread a few times now, I love almost every song in the film and think it's leagues better than Tangled but that's just me.

Glad you liked it though. Most of the people I've badgered into watching it have, though a small handful have not enjoyed it. They are horrible monsters.

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I totally saw the true love thing coming, but considering how much I've read about the movie in the last few months I'm amazed how unspoiled I actually was.

Also, I respect Josh Gad, but something about him just bugs me.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Y'know me too, but this was one of the few things he's done that didn't bother me. Granted, I think the only other thing I've seen him in was that godawful show 1600 Penn (which he wrote or produced or something).

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    My favourite rendition of Let It Go at the moment:

Those of you fortunate enough to know me in a context beyond the forums will have already seen me going mental over this, of course. :p

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've been following The Piano Guys for some time now (they did that cello version of various JW SW pieces a few years ago). They even collaborated with Alex Boyé for a Coldplay cover. Their latest vid is a really great rendition of Let It Go, with a similar setting, but sans children or singing. I'm the type of guy who loves instrument-only versions of songs, so these are a real treat for me. :D

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

I feel like, if Jonah Hill and Josh Gad could just merge into one person, that would be great. Nothing against either of them, but two is too much.

21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_love]

That is beautiful.

Though, without the lyrics... I get Zelda vibes, oddly.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I like the arrangement of the Alex Boyé one, but the video is a little much.

23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I can see that, yeah. I tend to have it run in the background while I do other things.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If we're posting our favorite "Let It Go" covers, then this one is my favorite by far:

edit: Todd, that instrumental one is pretty good. I'm probably usually in the same boat about preferring instrumental or non-lyrical music (which is why the bulk of my collection is soundtracks and such) but I think in some cases -- particularly Disney films -- the lyrics and the vocal talent are huge factors in why I like the songs.

I mean, would "I'll Make a Man Out of You" be even a fraction as popular as it is without the lyrics?

edit2: okay wow, Ulicus I might like your favorite cover better than my favorite cover, actually :p

or at least like it for different reasons. The google translate version is just brilliant comedy.

MercenaryAce, Ulicus and CooperTFN like this.
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Wow, that video was way closer than I was expecting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.