main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    On a completely separate note, I finished AsCreed. I wonder, if the game uses combat to punish you for not being stealthy, they why is about 90% of the games final two or three hours pretty much non-stop combat? And what was with the complete non-ending the game had? I know, I know, there's a sequel, but they couldn't have made it more obvious if they'd just smash-cut to a screen saying "Thanks for playing! To see the ending, buy Assassin's Creed II!" That's Halo II level crap.

Overall, I enjoyed the core game elements in a lot of ways, the approach to stealth is nice and a lot of the crowd mechanics and such are interesting. Basically any mission where you actually have to assassinate someone without being discovered was fun. But there are a lot of things that drag the game down: combat is boring and frustratingly simple, the story is meh and the characters are either annoying or flat. Pretty much the only likable character in the whole game is Lucy, and I am well aware of the fate that eventually befalls her. No one in the universe should suffer the fate of having to rescue Desmond Miles. Or love/crush on him [face_sick].

So, yeah. Right now, my opinion of the games is refined, but it hasn't really changed. I'm still not a fan. I'd have to really want to play one of the other games to pick it up, and after this one, I'm kinda burned out.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I had trouble getting into Assassin's Creed, but I got progressively interested in it as I progressed. I found the tradition to 2 to be somewhat jarring given the change in character models and the like.

3. Kylun

Kylun Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2008
    Ya, the second Assassin's Creed game, and it's two follow-ups, are the high point of the series IMO. And the first game was great, considering it was the first game. At the time, I loved it. It had it's flaws, but I never gave them much thought until the next game spoiled me rotten :p

Oh, and almost forgot. The Winter Soldier absolutely deserves all the praise it's been getting! It's not just a superhero movie. It's more like a spy thriller (with superheroes in it). And it doesn't hurt that Cap doesn't fly, or turn into a green behemoth, he's not a walking arsenal, etc. I feel like that helps keep the story grounded, and definitely gave it the right atmosphere.

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

Sleep well!

Gorefiend likes this.
  5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Kind of looks like the Goblins art book I have seen at Barnes and Noble.

6. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
  7. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Cynical_Ben so I got into the asscreed games legit because i saw the "walk the dinosaur" video on youtube (google it im lazy) and thought it was hilarious and i figured the games would be divertingly stupid plus stabbing people seems fun right? so then i played the first game and my opinion was not much changed because lol altair is such a one-note dork and the metaplot is so dumb like, ancient aliens and every conspiracy is real lol ok w/e. mind you i had fun with it because i got to climb on historical landmarks and then jump off into hay and also i met king richard but i mean i was not exactly blown away, overall. but i had fun enough so i figured i would keep on right?

so then i played 2

... and it basically changed my life and now i have played all the games and im pretty much the biggest most ridiculous fangirl of this stupid series, like, seriously, it is probably probably my single favorite living franchise at the moment (star wars is dead to me rip). and here is the crazy thing, they keep being amazing, like, Ezio wound up with one of the best most satisfying character arcs i have ever experienced in any media, right? and then i was all like, idk about this Connor fellow but then Connor turned out an amazing character as well who was totally different from Ezio, like his polar opposite, but just as loveable. and then now Edward is my new favorite (except not really because i love them all) and his story is totally different from Ezio's and he's a totally different person as well. like i was super hyped for AC4, right, it looked pretty awesome but then i was like man idk can it top Ezio's games? and then it did it actually exceeded my pretty high expectations and do you know how often this happens to me? not very often, is how

so yeah idk how much weight my opinion will hold with you since you prob don't know me that well but like i guess have reputation for, how does jello say it, "hating everything"? (it is totally undeserved btw i only hate things that suck and it is not my fault that so many things suck) but yeah i actually do not hate this series that i went into expecting to find ridiculous in fact i actually love it like so much it is embarassing tbh so yeah there you go.

tl;dr you should give ACII a chance and if you don't like it then you probably have no soul it's fair to say that asscreed isn't really your jam which is totally understandable

ETA lol this post was way longer and far less coherent than i intended going into it i have a lot of feelings about asscreed i guess

8. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Fair enough, trip. And while admittedly I don't know you personally, the fact that you are so critical of thing means that I am willing to give your liking something more weight than people who just like everything. I'll give ACII a spin at some point, just for you.

EDIT: Amazon has ACIII for $5 arg. I'm dropping the coin.

EDIT 2: Literally every game except ACII and IV is on sale on Amazon gorramit.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You can't really not like the cities of Florence and Venice in AC2!

10. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    aww yay

lol i'm scared of you playing III next because that tends to be everyone's least favorite aside from the first.

(that's an amazing price though, i'm tempted to grab The Tyranny of King Washington which is like the only AC thing i have not played yet)
    yeah that's super weird, argh. i mean brotherhood and revelations are both pretty great but you definitely need to get 2 first.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    He can't go straight to 3, he has to play Brotherhood first and witness the glory of Rome!

12. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    I'm torn. I can get the boxed copy of vanilla ACII from Amazon for about eleven bucks, or I can go twenty for the Steam deluxe edition. Problem is, my internet connection sucks and will take a full day+ just to download.

13. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    AC2 and Brotherhood are always money well spent. Always. Just ask the combined 120 hours I've put into them.

14. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I prefer the Steam version as it comes with both The Conquerors and The Forgotten expansions. You can also get it for about $10 when it goes on sale (though, the public doesn't know when that will be).

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yeah, rather than tapir-monkey hybrids, I'm sticking with just proboscis monkeys. They're strangely cute.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    ^ Jimmy Durante prototype

TrakNar likes this.
  17. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I will forever hold a certain fondness for them, ever since the time I won two dollars off someone betting that I was lying and that there was no such thing as a "proboscis monkey."

Revanfan1, Rogue_Follower and TrakNar like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Firenze is awesome and has great music. Venezia can go sack itself. I haven't forgiven them for Constantinopolis. And more importantly, I haven't forgiven them for blowing up the freaking Parthenon. The hell, guys? Also Venezia stinks. Literally. Smelliest city I've ever been to, and that says a lot considering Mumbai and Dubrovnik...

Oh, and in-game it sucks too. Jump from roof to roof? No, because it has giant channels of water everywhere, so I just end up leaping into a puddle. Every time. Ugh.

Roma in AC:B is phenominal though and it is my favorite game in the series easily. I don't ever use the minimap in that game because I don't need to -- I know the layout of the Eternal City by heart and can navigate it both in the game and in real life with ease. The fact that the two match up so well is great.

19. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'll never get over the 4th Crusade.

20. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    That's impressive, both on your and the game designers' parts. It makes me wonder how accurate Paris will be in AC:Unity.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Wild Hypno wants to play!

[​IMG]

:D

Gorefiend and Gamiel like this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah but I loved using the gondolas to get around. And they made you inexplicably invisible to enemies. lol
    Even though I've only been to Italy twice, I did remember enough to be super impressed byt the level of accurate detail they used when mapping out those cities. 'Course, I've barely tapped into Brotherhood. I need to get around to that once I finish Heart Gold. And Dishonored. :p

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I actually thought Firenze could be way worse, at times: some really wide streets, and only a handful of ways to cross from one side to the other without touching the ground.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Firenze had a lot of posts and things you could stay up on, though.

Also, uh, for some reason it's now possible to play flippin' KOTOR on the iPhone. Technology, man. Though why anybody would want to play on such a tiny screen...

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

25. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I've enjoyed playing several games on the tiny screen: Monkey Island 1 and 2, Gemini Rue, Beneath a Steel Sky, and The Shivah. It has the same advantages as being able to watch movies on tiny screens: portability, convenience, something to do while traveling. (Let me tell you, Monkey Island was a godsend during my son's babyhood while I was spending long hours in a rocking chair nursing him... not that that will be a consideration for everybody here, of course. :) ) Though KOTOR is arguably a slightly different case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.