main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    YES

You can either be a dog person or a cat person. There are no in-betweens.

CooperTFN and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Maybe that's how it played out in the LEU but not in the new canon.

CooperTFN likes this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I am one, Jello. There are in-betweens. :p

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In the Disney Star Wars fandom there are no dog people or cat people.

Only Mouse people.

TrakNar and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    So, apparently a lot of Star Wars stuff has happened in the time I haven't really been paying attention...

Are we still alive?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    no

8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    It's either the end of the world or a brand new day. Maybe both. (Or neither, if you're a black-hearted cynic).

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    We were in purgatory all along. No one saw it coming.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Have officially completed my 98-day Veronica Mars "binge". Tomorrow: I can finally watch the movie I helped pay for a year ago.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I've been binge watching Twin Peaks!

blackmyron likes this.
  13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Alive? Dude, we're the stuff of legends, now.

14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I pushed my way through Borderlands and Sleeping Dogs, plus their DLCs, over the last few days.

My SO was going through the series for the first time, but she hasn't been able to get over the hurdle of the final James and Donna story.

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The series goes through a lull where the lodge storyline doesn't connect most everything together like it does for the first season, the first third of season two, and the final third of season two.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do people think that the Wizard of Oz fans have the same problem with talking about continuity as we do or are their discussions worse?

Mind Riot likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, and that's where it is. She's enjoyed the series overall, and I've told her that once Windom Earle shows up it starts going somewhere again, but man... that storyline. And it isn't even in or near Twin Peaks. That's what bugs me the most.

Considering that there is debate on what is considered to be "canonical" Oz novels, yes. :p

Pretty much any setting has canon discussions. I was shocked, being a LOTR fan but not involved in the fan community, upon learning how much vitriol was expended on the topic of whether the Balrog had wings. (Not something I particularly cared about myself, incidentally, and I'd be biased because of the illustrations of the "obviously a Balrog" from D&D's Monster Manual). The Annotated Sherlock Holmes shows that it is not really a new phenomenon; you wouldn't believe the amount of effort was made to try to sort out when the individual Holmes stories took place... or even how many times Watson was married. Of course, they did it with more style than us.

(And yes, I've tried the crack the Holmes timeline mystery myself - I'll probably go with my fifth attempt the next time I get bored or suddenly get a craving for some Holmes stories).

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm binge-watching Grey's Anatomy. If a couple of episodes a night counts as a binge.

I'd call it a guilty pleasure but I don't feel guilty about it.

Because Bailey and Cristina.

20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Today I saw cat girls, steampunk cosplayers, faeries, goblins, trolls, gnomes, elves, a few satyrs, Green Men, the Moss Man, wolf girls, one dragon, a griffin, a trans-fae, and people covered from head to toe in mud.

21. The Extreme Moderate

The Extreme Moderate Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 30, 2005
    So I was thinking back to the old days today. I was mostly a lurker in 2002, but I would come here all the time to get my Lit fix and to read the latest EU theories, rumors, etc. It's crazy to think it has been so long... I was just a teen back then, and now I'm married and have a whole new outlook on life (that's what my wife tells me to say, anyway :p) . But the Lit boards, man, they've been a constant for me. I don't think I've ever gone more than a month since 2002 without checking in- whether it was to read all the craziest NJO theories (who remembers Jimmy?), or to check Mastadge's latest review compilations, to see what author was on the boards that day (and we had so many!), or to collectively mourn what LOTF and FOTJ did to our beloved characters.

(As a quick aside: It's good to see that some of the old guys are still around, like Quest, dp4m and Coop! I notice a distinct absence of Thrawn McEwok, Mastadge, Valiento, Genghis, Gatherer, Raven, and Gandolf the Grey. Just out of curiousty, does anyone still keep in touch with them? I wonder how they're doing these days.)

I know things are changing for the EU, and maybe not necessarily for the better. But I can't help but think that the silver lining of all this craziness is that new life will be breathed into the Lit Boards. I had felt that activity had been kind of stale after the end of FOTJ, and especially once Crucible came out. And, in my opinion, for good reason. It was just depressing, where the state of the EU was. But now- look at all the activity here the last few weeks! It's so refreshing to hear these boards humming again! We have new things to look forward to (or dread!), new debates to have, new directions that we are going in. I hope that it fuels Lit many years into the future. I look forward to the day when I can sign my daughter or son up here, and explain to them what the hell a "message board is," and why this is one of the BEST parts of being a Star Wars fan. So on this May the Fourth Weekend, I just wanted to thank everyone here, from the guys who just come once in awhile, to the regular posters, and especially all the mods (who put so much time into maintaining these boards). You guys are the best, and make this place what it is- and I hope to see you all around here for years to come.

Cheers!

Kylun, TrakNar and CooperTFN like this.
  22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Funny story.

Havac , TrakNar and Gorefiend like this.
  23. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

Ever since this whole Legends business was announced, my thoughts always go to I Am Legend with Will Smith. Oddly enough this movie predicted a Batman/Superman movie happening right before the apocalypse. Its a sign, first the EU goes, then the planet;)

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    False dichotomy; you can be neither.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    After holding a tarantula and a vinegaroon today, I'm not sure if I'm a scorpion person anymore. I really liked that vinegaroon and I love how a tarantula feels as it crawls in your hands with those heavy steps.

Though, the blue-tongued skink is still such a sweet baby. He loves to be held close and cuddled and I love to hold him close and cuddle.

Though, there's also the baby ball python...

Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.