main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    They were complimentary halves of a single ruler.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The second person thing?

3. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    "This is what it's like to be x, right now..."

They're written in second-person POV, which is almost never used outside of bad slashfic.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I guess I always took that as a narrative aside, rather than second person narration, because it's basically just addressing the reader instead of blending reader and narrative. But it's been a while since I've read the original text, so I'm mostly going from the above passage.

If the narrative in the novel doesn't switch back to the normal third person, then I guess I just forgot.

5. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014

It does use normal third person for everything but those asides, yes.

6. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

10/10 Would Read.

Revanfan1 and Zorrixor like this.
  7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    What would Let It Go be like in Stover-prose?

Well I know what it would be like in Luceno-prose:

Revanfan1, Zorrixor and Rogue Five like this.
  8. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Dat continuity.

In Denning-prose, it would be accompanied by graphic descriptions of what happens to people when they are frozen. And Anna would also turn evil for absolutely no reason.

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Let's not go there, 'k?

10. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014

In Traviss-prose, the song would be in Mando'a.

Darth_Garak and _Catherine_ like this.
  11. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    It does both. The first few, where they just recap character traits and past events, are written as asides, but other scenes like Dooku's death and Anakin landing the ship and Vader waking up in the suit are also written in second-person present-tense. I wouldn't want to read an entire novel written like that, but it's as valid as any other form, I've never heard of there being a stigma against it.

As for Stover's original work, I'd be afraid to try reading it again. It took me over a year to make it through CBK last time, now I don't know if I'd even make it past that ridiculous scene in BOT where Arturo Kollberg starts eating some woman's face for no reason.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I wasn't saying that there was anything wrong with second person narrative. It's just that if you're going to break from convention, you should have a good reason for it instead of novelty -- and you should be good at it too. This isn't a commentary on the ROTS novel either way.

And I think HD is more or less okay as a deconstruction of high fantasy that still has a fun fantasy setting. BoT is where it gets really, really gruesome. And the Kollberg stuff was the worst, I agree.

13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    See it in newspapers? You have more faith in print media's continued survival than most

And the Trolls would be a warrior culture that Olgaf decides to join, Kristoff would be conflicted about having been raised an icecutter from childhood, and Anna instead would have been frozen and died trying to protect one of Hans' men from Elsa defending herself.

14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
  15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm not gonna celebrate unless the word "reboot" is also attached.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  16. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Gah, I forgot about that! That was literally the stupidest Jedi death possible. Just...eugh.

Abadacus likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  18. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
  19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    No words. Just... man.

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    On the plus side, no Night at the Museum 4.

21. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
  22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Robin Williams...? Aww... or not... _Catherine_ now has me uncertain.

I hope Cath's right, I always liked his stuff. :(
    And Elsa would have had to learn how to fight from the trolls, becoming Elsa, Warrior Princess Queen, and would then fight her way back into Arendelle, where she would duel Hans in a swordfight-- not using any magic powers, as those are not as efficient-- and prove herself the champion, saving Anna from needing to sacrifice herself in the first place?

Edit: You have to be kidding... AdmiralWesJanson you already ninja'd that! [face_laugh][face_rofl]

23. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    If you look, that article was published tomorrow, so it must be true.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Well, definitely a sad loss, and the depression makes it especially so. Memory eternal. :(

25. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    This is just devastating.

The thing some people might not get is, he wasn't really a punchline anymore; I've followed his past few years, and he was very open about falling off the wagon and he was in touch and actively working against his former comic identity. He was great in an episode of Louie, and he was in World's Greatest Dad, which was a very dark and frank but incredibly beautiful comedy by Bobcat Goldthwait (I know, not someone you'd associate with anything beautiful if you know him from the 80's, but he's actually an incredibly talented filmmaker). Anyway, Robin Williams brought some great things into the world.

Everyone watch World's Greatest Dad, right now, if you have the stomach to laugh at some dark things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.