main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Am I really the only person holding my mug Jedi-style? Pfffff.

2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I've been to Chicago in the winter, and can see how you could easily get dehydrated in the wind and cold there. Syracuse is about the same.

I remember during C3 standing in line in the cold rain wearing shorts and sandals and being very glad for a hot cup of coffee. :D

Findswoman likes this.
  3. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    Sorry, double post

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Lugija, unless you're drinking the awful stuff that people consume just to get drunk, alcohol shouldn't taste as awful as coffee. :p

And I'm aware that coffee, like beer, has some artisanal varieties that people with an attuned palate can notice but as they both fundamentally still taste like coffee or beer I can't stand either of them.

I tried a fancy beer with saffron once -- supposedly based on a formula from ancient Crete. Still tasted like beer. :p

The whole hands-free thing is an Imperial scheme to out Jedi in hiding. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Yeah, Chicago winters can be brutal. It's not the cold so much as it is the wind; it makes your whole body ache right to the bones. It certainly makes outdoor sporting events during the winter an extra layer of intense, only the die-hard fans are willing to endure it.

starfish likes this.
  6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I grant that most alcoholic drinks I have tasted have been exactly that class (about 90% of my alcoholic consumption is stuff I can get for free as I don't feel like paying for that stuff), but still in all those drinks it's always been the alcohol that has tasted bad. If there's a pop/soda option I take that, especially because usually they are free (when available) in student parties. It's like stealing money.

Zorrixor likes this.
  7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    With me, it's never made any difference how expensive the wine is -- never drunk beer in my life, so no idea with those -- I've still never enjoyed the taste. I always cringe whenever I taste one of those deserts made with alcohol of some kind, as with me it just utterly, utterly overpowers any other flavours, and I've just never got why people enjoy masking the cream or vanilla or [insert other actual flavours of said desert]. Ditto with red wine sauce on chicken and that sort of thing... [face_sick]

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    And the liqueur filled chocolates. I'm eating a perfectly good chocolate praline, then suddenly "surprise, liqueur!" Why?

Zorrixor likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, like I said with coffee or beer: sometimes you just hate the taste, no matter how good the product. And I definitely think that pushing alcohol on people who don't like it is bad, especially when the motivation is that it's "fun." For flavor, yes, but never because it's fun or cool.

But I will say that the overpowering ethanol taste you refer to is primarily a matter of being unfamiliar with it. When I had my first glass of wine, that's all I could taste. But the finer wines, brandies, and whiskies use their chemistry to create flavor -- temperature, alcohol, and the composition of the underlying drink itself combine to create flavor. It's as much an art as gastronomy itself.

When alcohol is infused in a dessert product, it's not about masking the sweetness -- it's about complementing it, and in some cases reducing it (to avoid being cloying).

I can't say I have enough talent to create anything tasty but I can appreciate it, even though I'm a relatively picky eater.

But it's only when it's done right. Price is absolutely no indication of quality, but there are definitely good and bad drinks.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Chyntuck, Darth_Garak and starfish like this.
  10. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    I would love to make it to one of those outdoor hockey games, that looks like a good time.

And their is certainly something to say for decent quality wine or beer, along with a good meal. New England has quite a few breweries, a good lager with a bowl of chowder, maybe read a couple Dark Times comics, that's nice eh?

Chyntuck likes this.
  11. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I'm waiting for an outdoor NHL game on the Rideau Canal. That would be a thing of beauty. I'd drive for that.

A decent whisk(e)y can be wonderful. A Islay Scotch like a 16-year-old Lagavulin is just perfect after a long day.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Having been recently introduced to Islay by a friend of mine, I can say that they are among my favorite kinds of whisky. So gloriously peaty.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Ulicus and Chyntuck like this.
  13. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    I would travel up to Ottawa to see that, maybe get a beavertail and some poutine.

14. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Since I have no idea what a beavertail and poutine are, that statement simply sounded dirty.

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm not sure on beavertail, but poutine, at least in my own experience at this one semi-fancy brewpub place in my area, consists of fancy french fries topped with fancy crumbly white cheese.

Chyntuck likes this.
  16. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    A beavertail is a fried dough pastry you can get on the canal in Ottawa

Findswoman likes this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So I have been reading the Dathomir part of Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds and the impression I got is threefold –
    A) it feels like the author have actually not read the Courtship of Princess Leia.
    B) it feels like the author don’t like the jedi, at least the old order, or were told to paint them in a bad light.
    C) it feels like the author don’t like the Force overall.

Anybody else got those impressions?

Also is there anybody else that gets continuity-headache by the rancor riding humans on Dathomir in Dawn of the Jedi #1?

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Gamiel: I did. Matter of fact, everything after issue zero was pretty much pure continuity headache for me, and the previews had look so promising as well.

Gamiel likes this.
  19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I'm having a nasty time finding Caol Ila in my home province and it makes me sad. I tried it this one time at Burning Man (#thatguy) and nothing has ever tasted so good. I was also able to get it in Ottawa. #RideauCanalNHLGame

I don't know about dirty, but greasy. Definitely greasy.

20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    GrandAdmiralJello I just read a review for Assassin's Creed Rogue, and I think it sounds like a game you would like.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, funny story. I think Unity is going to be amazing and that Rogue is going to be some boring Black Flag retread, and everyone says that Rogue is great. I guess I'll find out once it comes out for PC -- I'm avoiding reading up on it for spoiler reasons.

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So, I struggle through the early portions of DAI on nightmare difficulty, finally reach the first 'milestone'... and then realise that I imported the wrong world state. :oops:

Or, rather, I imported the correct one but I forgot that I'd played around with it a few days ago and so it's not perfect.

*sigh*

Oh well, I didn't like my Inquisitor's name, anyway.

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Does the Xbox version still import DA2 saves, or does it need the Keep too?

I'm strongly leaning toward just using the Keep and getting the PC version, simply because the loading screens in DA2 on Xbox drove me mad, but... I also dunno if I trust my Keep decisions to fit my previous characters, as it's been soooooooooo long since I played them.

24. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    They all need the Keep, by my understanding.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, there's no save importing on any version of the game iirc.

I really like how well-made the game is. They seem to have gotten a lot of things just right.

DA -- people complained there was a silent protag
    DA2: -- people complained that dialogue severely stunted RPing, with only 3 options for most things.
    DA3: -- fully voiced, multi-option RP dialogue

DA -- people complained the armor was generic on everyone
    DA2: -- people complained you couldn't change party member armors
    DA3: -- lots of item sets, but each party member's armor style evolves as it upgrades

Kylun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.