main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  2. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    I once walked past Prince Charles without even the most cursory nod of respect.

Come at me, Jello.

Vthuil, Revanfan1, Darth_Duck and 4 others like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Have you all seen this?

http://www.code.org

It encourages kids to learn how to write computer code. I've been using it at work; it's pretty cool.

Barriss_Coffee and CooperTFN like this.
  4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Man, AFS, way to bury the lede.

Look, we can learn to code with Anna and Elsa!

Also models.

5. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    We had a day at school last year around using that. (My school goes from pre-K to high-school Senior year)

6. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Apropos of nothing (except eating cheese atm)...

Apart from Shira Brie, are there any other Star Wars characters named after cheese?
    (A Darth Cheddar would make my day.)

And while we're at it...
    What is the best cheese to hide a horse with?
    Mascarpone.

7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I had already written an enthusiastic comment of how I would have liked to learn code with Elsa and Anna, but then I remembered how the programming learning products (named Raippa) our courses use are not that great. They can point out that your result doesn't match but there's only so much a program can do to teach you what you did wrong and correct it. That's why one guild sells "**** Raippa" marks and every year hordes of freshmen stitch them in their overalls.
    So what I'm saying is that I don't want to see "**** Elsa" marks everywhere in parties.

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Something about Frozen? Quick! To the GrandAdmiralJello signal!

[​IMG]

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I already knew about that weeks ago :p

And I'll note Obama has become the first president to ever write a line of code, and he wrote code making Elsa move around. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It must've been refreshing to have someone listen to him for once.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I want to write code using Star Wars animated characters. :p

The kids have had a great time making Elsa do snowflakes though.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    My final project in freshman programming in HS was to write a full program of our choice -- I wrote a Star Wars choose your own adventure game.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Edit: It used a lot of EU. I remember my teacher asking "what is an Anzati?" lol

13. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I remember teaching myself the internal scripting language for Jedi Knight/Mysteries of the Sith back in the day, at like 10 years old. It was around the time Outlaw Star was on Toonami and I was really into it, so I modded all the weapons into caster shells, including one that shot a homing spirit dragon thing, with a segmented trail and everything (which I think I must have carved in the free model editor people made for that game). It baffles me how I did all that... kids can pick up that stuff like any other language, and it was so much easier to make stuff back then with those crappier graphics.

My problem was, every time I'd want to undertake something, my parents would warn me about how much work it was going to be. Hey, thanks guys! That's why I can't finish a project to save my damn life!

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I hate the M1. That is all.

Findswoman likes this.
  15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I hear you. My feelings about I-90 are similar.

16. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Wow, North Korea... Wow.

Threaten American values all you want---nobody really gives a crap---but you take away their Seth Rogen? Them's fightin' words for the general American public...

To say the least, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    "Threaten American values"?

Actually, nevermind, let's not get into this here.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

JackG and CooperTFN like this.
  18. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Hahahaha... I suppose my post on Facebook made it clearer, as I censored myself a bit here. It wasn't sarcasm... I'm genuinely talking about the misconception by totalitarian states that we actually believe some sort of united set of truths here---we don't. And that's the point; make a philosophical diss on the US and nobody gives a damn (as they shouldn't, really; it's a mark of diversity)... but start taking away their movies? Oooooooooh boy.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ah, so you were saying that the DPRK believes that their ostentatious villainy truly causes us angst. I thought you were playing it straight and saying that yes, in fact, it does. :p

And yes, I do think it's funny that people who had no interest in the film at all (since it sounds terrible) but now they do. Would be a brilliant viral campaign actually.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Eh, I'm a sucker for Franco, as I often find myself an audience member in the grand theater of general acts of human absurdity... and I have to say, Observe & Report is one of the most underrated comedies of all time.

That said, this development will probably prove to be far more interesting than the movie itself ever could.

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  23. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    It's an interesting comparison, but it would have been hella difficult. Nazis got a few men onto American soil via sub with Operation Pastorius, but that was it.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    (sarcasm, bro, sarcasm!)

25. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Heh, I've seen that comparison made without sarcasm many times now.

But it is a weird thing to think about, how the technology invented to make things manageable and increase security eventually evolved into technology which pushes everything beyond manageability.

But I've been watching Black Mirror, so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.