Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.
::glances at the registration dates of the last few posters::
Probably not the best people to ask
I'd ask someone else, but they're gone before I can finish.
I don't know about "turnover rates"... a number of times people stop posting for a while, then come back. A year or two back I noticed an exodus over some of the more "outspoken" regulars over whatever, but that's it.
People who include euphemisms for inappropriate male anatomy in their actual screen name I usually assume wanted to have a "lifespan of the housefly" implicitly.
Aside from Banhammer Bait (TM), I've just noticed that whenever I look at a page a year or two old, I only recognize a very few names, and some people just seem to disappear.
Okay, why does everyone say "transnational" instead of "international" these days? God forbid we use a term that denotes exchange and interconnection among nations as opposed to "transending" them (at least, that's what I assume the connotation means, since the actual Latin means "across," which is almost exactly the same as "inter," or among). Since everyone knows that actually acknowledging your nation makes you a raving fannatical bigot, so we should all join together in commonality. But we have take steps to preserve other nations' unique identity.
This is exactly the kind of crap that makes me want to stab people in the face. Preferrably the people that are responsible, but any random stranger will do.
Preferrably an activist. Unless they're an activist for a cause that I support, in which I case I will merely punch them in the face, as opposed to stabbing. Maybe.
So, FREE MONEY!!!!
Not sure how I'll spend my cheque when I get it or even if I will.
I'd assume the connotation is more related to "transfer", ie: "a transatlantic flight". Transcend is usually associated to something being above or departing others, instead of between, crossing, etc.
The word trans in Latin meens across, beyond.
And "inter-" means among or within; a perfect descriptor for international activities. It just irritates me that people will take a perfectly adequate word and change it for no reason. On a tangent, of the four classes I'm taking at the local community college, three of them have mentioned "trans"national business so far: my cultural anthropology class, which talks about how evil it is, my business administration class, which talks about how to further it, and my writing class, which just talks about it. The mixed signals amuse me, in a vicious, misanthropic kind of way.
They are similar, but have slightly different definitions. One is between things, another is among/composed of things.
1. going beyond national boundaries or interests: a transnational economy.
2. comprising persons, sponsors, etc., of different nationalities: a transnational company.
3. a company, organization, etc., representing two or more nationalities.
1. between or among nations; involving two or more nations: international trade.
2. of or pertaining to two or more nations or their citizens: a matter of international concern.
3. pertaining to the relations between nations: international law.
4. having members or activities in several nations: an international organization.
5. transcending national boundaries or viewpoints: an international benefit; an international reputation.
6. (initial capital letter) any of several international socialist or communist organizations formed in the 19th and 20th centuries. Compare First International, Second International, Third International, Fourth International, Labor and Socialist International.
7. (sometimes initial capital letter) a labor union having locals in two or more countries.
8. an organization, enterprise, or group, esp. a major business concern, having branches, dealings, or members in several countries.
9. an employee, esp. an executive, assigned to work in a foreign country or countries by a business or organi
a prefix occurring in loanwords from Latin (transcend; transfix); on this model, used with the meanings ?across,? ?beyond,? ?through,? ?changing thoroughly,?
a prefix occurring in loanwords from Latin, where it meant ?between,? ?among,? ?in the midst of,? ?mutually,? ?reciprocally,? ?together,? ?during?
A guy like you taking cultural anthropology? Isn't that like embarking on a study of matter from an anti-matter perspective?
The down side to loathing all mankind and wanting to destroy everyone's dreams while dancing to their chorus of anguished wails. I find cultural anthropology interesting, so I take a class in it. Once there, however, I encounter people who are really into it, fueling within me a desire to bring the discipline crashing down in flames. Or at least change it fundamentally so as to make them hate what they once loved.
Ever watch Bones then?
A few episodes from the first season. But that's physical anthropology, which I always found boring anyway, not cultural anthropology.
Hey, we got a guy in here who's talking about different degrees of anthropology, he must be one of those intellectual types!
Woooo, this thread was really down with the decaying peat. Does everyone go away when my computer goes bust?
Hmmm...this is my first post in this thread.
Hi everybody. :3
What can I say? You're the life of the party.
No, I'm the one who trashes the house when everyone's gone. Me and Ex
We don't get any in Canada. Our Conservative leadership wouldn't even admit we were in turbulaent financial times until the opposition banded together and attempted to oust them over the issue. I want a hand out too to darn it
I am against it in principle, but then again I'm not getting any money so yeah...
Ex will be, how do you think he will spend his $950?
The Opposition wants to block it. And they probably will. A one-off fiscal injection like that won't stimulate the federal economy even if people will spend it, which if they're smart they won't. And anyway, it's "up to" $950....
Anyway, the major retailers have excellent discounts over the new year period. That was the time to buy.
Heeey, are you implying I'm a little rascal? I'm the Joker's good side!
QDB is made of win. Except when it isn't.
Everyone ignored me.
What? Sorry, I wasn't listening.