main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, a few years ago I had a strong antipathy for alcohol of all sorts. This was largely because when you're underage, the only exposure to drinking you have is hooliganism. I still have an immense aversion to being drunk, but I appreciate classy drinks. I will drink for the flavor and the quality, but I am still hugely bothered by people who get drunk and I strike to avoid it as much as possible. :p (NB -- I certainly don't go to these festivities for the rowdiness and the drinking; not my thing. I go because I like spending time with my friends, despite their occasional... enthusiasm for things I'd rather not partake in :p )

So for instance, while people were running around getting smashed on various pedestrian beverages, I only partook in some red wine (of rather dubious quality, sadly) but one of the hostesses was sharing an excellent single malt that she had her family procure from Scotland. I imagine that you'd appreciate that :p

Actually on a similar note, I decided to début that Ackbar shirt at this party. The reactions were hilarious -- everyone was trying to figure it out. Fortunately most people could, and those that didn't get it were actually mocked by the others. One guy yelled "It's a trap!" to his friend that couldn't figure it out, and when that still didn't help, he and his fiancée were very disappointed in him. I actually love the sheer social cachet that being a Star Wars fan has -- I've already had at least three different people ask to watch the OT with me b/c they either haven't seen it in a long time or haven't seen them at all, and would like to watch it with an expert.

People tell me that SW fans are considered nerdy and uncool --- but that's just not my experience :p

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Must be the crown.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    GrandAdmiralJello

Ah, I am quite the wine lover as well. Good California pinots, French bordeaux and burgundies, Italian wines like Amarone & Barbera- you have taken your first step into a larger world, to paraphrase Obi-wan. If you need a Jedi wine or whiskey master, I am always taking on new apprentices. :p

Wine is fun too because you can find some incredible wines at good prices. Of course, being a Californian, I am a bit spoiled, as we have literally thousands of wineries to choose from and it is much more reasonably priced. I am always shocked at how much some wines are marked up when I visit other states. Some states tax the crap out of it!

--Adm. Nick

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Has anyone had a chance to play The Walking Dead video game? I'm late to the party on this one, I realize (I also gave Journey a whirl last week, enjoyed the hell out of it).

Gotta say, I'm only a moderate fan of The Walking Dead as a franchise. The comic book is generally very good, but I can only say I "love" certain parts. I've only watched the first few episodes of the TV show, and same thing; I like it, but don't quite love it.

The game, though. To say I enjoyed it is an understatement. It's easily my favorite thing in TWD franchise. Although I did predict the ending, that takes absolutely nothing away from the fantastic execution. Very excited for season two.

What's interesting, though, is that I keep hearing that the game is insanely replayable... and I agree it can be, but due to the nature of the game, the fact that there's no "good/evil" option but more personal choices, I almost can't imagine playing the game and doing anything (well, most things) differently. It didn't feel like I was playing a role, so much as I was personally making the choices I would make in the situation. I will definitely be replaying, but I don't think I'll be doing very many things differently.

I've always said we need more choice-driven video games. I'm an unapologetic Bioware fan (Biodrone?), precisely because of their style. I don't love every aspect of every one of their games, but I love the idea of a game driven by your own choices, even if it's just the illusion of choice (and I must say, as much as I enjoyed TWD, much of it was very much the illusion of choice; perhaps we're not quite at the technology level to make truly choice-driven games). Any game made in the style of Mass Effect and The Walking Dead is almost guaranteed a purchase from me. We need more games like this.

I just don't like the taste of the stuff. I'm perfectly open to... other substances, but alcohol simply doesn't do it for me, and at this point I don't feel I should force myself to like something just because I should like it. And, like you, I hate drunkenness. Possibly because my parents were drunk all the time, and I learned to hate the way they acted. All I'll say is that if their goal was to turn me off of alcohol, they did a fantastic job.

I also have a strong aversion to classiness :p

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I thought I'd become a classy drinker, but I didn't. I'm actually quite picky when it comes to liquor. On the other hand, I became a connoisseur of beer. I don't drink a lot (it's a noteworthy day if I finish one beer), but I drink beer like I'm tasting wine. Pair it with food, swish it around in my mouth, smell it, describe its flavor with words such as "notes" and "bouquets," that sort of stuff. Classy for the trailer park, perhaps. :p

Ris_jSarek likes this.
  6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I.... well I'm a college student in a college town well known for its hedonistic ways. Though I definitely exercise far more self-control than much of the rest of the student body- definitely would call myself a comparatively light drinker, and I'm definitely a lightweight. If I have the money, I'll shell out for something nice like Bailey's Irish Cream or Captain Morgan, but if I'm on a budget I'll buy and drink something like Admiral Nelson (truly bottom-shelf rum, that). I only drink more than 1 beer or 1 glass of liquor in a day (and many days I don't even touch anything) if I'm doing something with my friends, like playing Smash Bros or watching movies. Or playing Total War. Total War is always fun with beer in hand. In terms of beers, I prefer various versions of Sam Adams, Mike's Hard and Yuengling, though I'll try most beers (minus wheat beers, blegh). In terms of liquors, I'm a rum man- wine is okay, whiskey burns (aside from the aforementioned Bailey's), and I despise vodka.

instantdeath I haven't played the game, but I did watch one of my friends play through the first episode of it. It seemed pretty fantastic, and it was interesting to see how the choices I would have made differed from his. The show slows down annoyingly in season 2, but picks up again in Season 3.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm emphatically not a lightweight -- I have a high tolerance and I have strong willpower / a desire not to lose my dignity, so I could take quite a lot -- but just because I could, doesn't mean I should. Moreover, if there's one thing that I've learned over the past year or so is that I just don't get heavy drinking. It does nothing for me. And after seeing what it does to other people... thankfully I've never seen people do truly awful things, but I have seen how indiscreet people get. Just this weekend, my friends were telling absolute strangers things that I didn't even know about them (nor, perhaps, want to know). I strongly suspect they'd have regretted doing so -- if they even recall it happening. That's the worst -- absolute worst.

As far as things I actually enjoy drinking, I have to wonder if I've trained myself to like them because classy people do. Because as instantdeath suggests, I actually strongly disliked the taste of wine the first time I tried it, but I trained myself to appreciate it. It may not simply be a matter of forcing one's self to like it though b/c I think the dislike was strictly due to the alcohol itself, which is simply unpleasant for the first time. But once one gets over that and can appreciate the impact that alcohol has on the flavor and texture of a beverage, then it's easier to get used to it. So maaaaybe it's not a matter of forcing myself to like something.

I detest beer though, because it's disgusting and no matter how much I try I simply cannot stand it. Similarly, I hate tequila. This may be because they're pedestrian products, or just because they're gross. Not sure. I like brandy and whisky and though they're quite strong, a civilized person sips them to appreciate the taste so there's little worry of drunkenness from them. Wine can be consumed more quickly, but is comparatively far weaker, which is nice.

AdmiralNick22, I do have an appreciation for wine. In fact, I prefer wine to whisky and especially whiskey (which for the most part tends to just be a strong drink -- it's hard to find quality ones). I tend to prefer reds, with my favorite ever being a Californian Bordeaux (surprisingly enough) although my overall favorite -- for meta reasons -- is the Aglianico from Campania, since it is the same grape that the Romans used for their premier cru, Falernian. There aren't many old world grapes that survive from antiquity due to various blights and the like, so Aglianico is exceptional. It's very good too. I prefer reds with heavier bodies I think, and I simply cannot stand merlot. For whites, I cannot stand chardonnay. I like sauvignon blanc, German Rieslings, and certain muscatos (muscato from Samos in the Aegean is particularly nice). Aside from liking NZ sauvignons, I tend to have a preference for wines within the Roman Empire -- in fact, there is a place I know that only serves wines that come from vineyards that have been continually operating since 1453 -- though sadly not any within the Eastern Empire, as far as I know. I also like brandy -- at least, French brandy, such as Cognac and Armagnac. (edit: I've never heard of the two Italian wines you mention -- tell me more.)

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, getting drunk to the point of absurdity is... uhm, it's bad. Yeah. I'd never do it. Nope. Not me.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I wasn't aware that Uli came in a non-drunk variety :p

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Oi! I come in many varieties.... :(

ma_petite likes this.
  11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh lord, that brings back memories of my mom telling either the waiter or the cashier our life stories while the rest of us are gritting our teeth, telling her to wrap it up and go. :rolleyes:

It didn't help that large amounts of alcohol revealed her to be a racist. A closet racist, definitely, but a racist nonetheless.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, they do say that when you've had a bit of alcohol you reveal your true self (with socially imposed walls having crashed down and such). That either means that: I. I simply don't get drunk or II. I tend to be very genuine.

Both work for me, I guess :p

13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    A million Frenchmen cried out in terror and then were suddenly silenced.:p

Next you will tell me you like the Californian Chablis in the box :p

America really should have renamed those to follow the conventions of French wine law and tradition

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You know why they don't, though -- $$. Usually the U.S. respects D.O.C labels, but not regarding wine it seems. I think the compromise they settled on is that the bottle has to say California on it or wherever else, so that one mightn't be confused by a bottle that says "champagne" on it. That doesn't help the brand deterioration concerns, but it does alleviate the deceptive practices that a lot of vineyards did back in the day.

And there was a reason I said that I was surprised at its quality. :p

15. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Participated in the Global Game Jam over the weekend. Ended up with a much more playable product than last year ;).

This year's theme was the sound of a heartbeat. My team's game is a 2D sidescrolling platformer called Fear Itself. You are being chased through your mind by a wall of fear- hitting other fears along the way will speed the wall up, while obtaining objects o courage will slow it down and help you reach the end of level.

[​IMG]

GGJ page: Fear Itself

Direct link to game & source files: http://globalgamejam.org/sites/default/files/2013/<em>Edit Game 2013</em> Fear Itself/download/Fear.zip
    It'll be an exe in there (so, sadly, it wont run on Mac OS).

I was project lead as well as the artist for all characters and objects. Programming, level design, music and background art were performed by the other members of my team.

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Play it. It's great. If you read the comic or watch the show, there are a few cameos, though it's nothing intrusive.

I think I've pinpointed what it is that I feel the game has that the TV show and comic don't, at least not quite as much: the game truly conveys just how horrible it is to have to live in that world. More potently, how horrible it is to be force to grow up in that world. It's pretty much the only game I've played where I'm just thinking, "this just isn't fair" to the entire situation, especially near the end. If nothing else, they've certainly got the best child character in a video game.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Gah, I wish he'd take the regnal name of William IV instead of keeping his original double-barrelled name.

Regnal names are serious business to me.

19. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    To be fair, he is the only hyphenated one so far.

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    So, when do we organize the official Lit scotch tasting?

ma_petite and Ulicus like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll go if you and Nick are going.

Havac likes this.
  22. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
  23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Ackbar jokes are never going to get old.

Mirax Terrik, JackG, TrakNar and 9 others like this.
  24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Even though it's hilarious, I can't help but notice how freaky looking that Ackbar mouse is. Mutant mouse?

25. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    I am breaking up the boys club and going scotch tasting with you all!

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.