main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah the ship parts are by far the best, Haythwm aside.

Playing ROTJ music while at game night. I am scaring people by explaining scenes and quoting lines that correspond to the music. Oh, people who haven't watched the OT hundreds of times... How quaint.

Ris_jSarek likes this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Last week I watched ANH with a friend who'd never seen it...the captions weren't working, so naturally, I did Greedo's lines for her. She was horrified and/or awed.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    So I was in the middle of reading about the sinking of the sub USS Thresher when water started pouring through the roof of my apartment. Guys, always live on the top floor.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    There might be a connection. Read a book about finding $1,000,000 and tell me what happens. :p

--Adm. Nick

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    He's discovered his obscure superpower!

Oh and Hav -- don't read GoT.[face_worried]

krtmd, RC-1991 and Lugija like this.
  6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    "So I was just reading A Game of Thrones and suddenly every floor started a war with each other. Currently the man from the top floor is winning his battles but we haven't heard anything from the first floor yet."

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I hope he doesn't have a twin sister.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [​IMG]

darthcaedus1138 and Lugija like this.
  9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    He said read Game of Thrones.

[​IMG]

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Fine. Hookers and lemon cakes. :p

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Confession.

I tried to get into Game of Thrones. Couldn't do it.

JackG is going to beat me with a stick now.

12. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    You have a problem with hookers and lemon cakes?

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Finally starting up season three of Archer on Netflix, and the first arc guest stars Patrick Warburton, which just makes me anxious to watch Venture Bros instead.

14. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Those of you who have trouble getting into fantasy because of hundreds of characters, big worlds full of geography and thousands of years of history, try Artemis Fowl. It reads like an action film with intelligent characters, people of importance can be counted with fingers and the world history is simply "Our world, our history, but with fantasy creatures living underground and using magic-technology". And the main character is Thrawn as 12-year old. (Not sure if that makes you want to read it more)

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I didn't realize you were talking about Ender's Game.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You're kind of jumping the gun if you're assuming those of us who haven't liked GoT don't like fantasy as a genre!

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    See earlier comment re: spaceships.

18. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    No, that would be a very big assumption. Beauty and the Beast is fantasy. There just were talks earlier that GoT is very hard to get in and I wanted to give an example of a fantasy series that is very easy to get into.

And Coop, it has ships that can be piloted in the tunnels between the underlevels and the surface. And they work on lava fumes. I don't remember how, don't ask me to explain. Hyperspace.

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Season Five trailer's up.

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    aaaahhhhhwhere

edit: nm found it

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Okay, going back to my old Monument Plaza icon. I love it too much -- I've waited too many years to have an iconic Coruscant ... err, icon to sacrifice it to a GOT trend :p

Speaking of trends, decided to preorder Bioshock Infinite. Didn't care that much for the first one, but the combination of hilariously over the top patriotism + the whole steampunk vibe + the Elizabeth companion might make the difference for me. I didn't much enjoy the dystopian feel of the first one, but this might be more up my alley. Another motivating factor to preordering is the fact I get XCOM (along with the first Bioshock) for free in the deal, and my friends have been going on and on and on about how I must get XCOM. Good things come to those who wait, I guess. :p

Anybody else gonna get Infinite?

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm actually considering it. I went to their panel at PAX East yesterday and was very impressed. The creator, Ken Levine, is a wicked cool guy who clearly loves doing what he does.

I haven't played the others, but my roommate has Bioshock 2, so maybe I can play that a little to whet my appetite.

23. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I like the look of it, but I'm not convinced it'll be nearly long enough to justify the initial price tag.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm gonna wait for a price drop. I'm finally starting to feel the pinch as my hoard of treasure dwindles.

Yes, I am a dragon.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ok, but assuming money is no object, good buy? It's more a question of fungibility than capability: e.g., this game as opposed to another game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.