main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's really odd. It's hard to diagnose without looking at the save, I guess.

I've gotten many laudationes, but not one formal laus. Very sad. Hope to change that soon. Really, awards don't matter at all unless they're in Latin.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    After some serving the CK 2 boards i turns out that it’s apparently a patching bug, so just need to reinstall and it should not happen anymore. Btw. did you guys ever see these CK 2 trailers? :D Brilliant stuff.

3. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

So apparently the sororities at my school are hosting some sort of wet t-shirt contest on Saturday to raise money for firemen. They will get hosed down by actual firemen and demand money from onlookers. They will do this in the university quad.

WTF

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Well, there goes my image of you getting a good education down there.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Those are the undergrads. In my experience, undergrads have pea brains.*

*Also explains why they're perpetually drunk.

7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Pfft. I'm an alcohol-imbibing undergrad, and *my* brain is certainly larger than a pea.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, but how much does it mass?

:p

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Indeed. I still proudly display all the gold medals I got for doing so well on those Latin exams we took in Middle and High school. And my certificate for the National Latin Honor Society. Almost as cool as my certificate for the Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I was at the top of all my Latin classes and never got an award. :( It's probably because I got a 98% on a quiz once -- I was so ashamed! Thankfully, we dropped the lowest score...

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well this was the National Latin Exam, so most people who scored really high got medals. I was at the top until AP Latin, where I was only average. :p

As for wet t-shirt contests, I feel schools would make a lot more fundraising money if they did those. :p And helping out the firemen is always good.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hell, I'd volunteer for one.

...to help the firemen, of course.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ah, I didn't take Latin until university. No national awards for me. :(

I strongly suspect I will not be attending the wet t-shirt contest, so the firemen may have to go without my support alas. I don't know what the school is thinking supporting it.

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    See: Florida.

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No one believes you and your honor will be forever tarnished unless you provide extensive photographic documentation proving that this supposed event did in fact take place.

16. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Photographic evidence is only necessary if Jello himself participates.

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    GrandAdmiralJello, what sort of Roman are you? You do know that they weren't exactly prudes.

As your senior in age, I demand that you participate in the event. After all my friend, you might actually learn how to crack a smile at the event. In my experience (speaking as someone less than two weeks away from turning 30), life is to short to not enjoy the occasional fun event in college. Going to the event and enjoying the view will not kill you. I can assure you of this, my friend. :)

--Adm. Nick

18. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Speaking of (not-so fun) college events, I went to see this woman speak about women in engineering and STI fields. She used slides to help convey her message. So when she told us her results for googling "boosting women's egos" she showed a picture of basically a Victoria's Secret model. The results were basically "Hey women! Boost your ego by increasing your bust!" [face_plain]

19. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So now the Knahaten Plague is sweeping through Tamriel, and has already killed two of my heirs. It would be terribly hilarious if I end up surviving the Dunmer, the petty lords of Cyrodiil, and my own treacherous vassals, only for my family to get wiped out by the plague. At this point I've considered shipping my remaining children off to Solstheim in hopes of keeping them out of the plague's way.

On the upside, almost all of the "independence" or "lower crown authority in the Kingdom of Skyrim" or "distant relative XYZ for Kingdom of Cyrodiil" factions are pretty much gone, due to that plague. So there's a bright side.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The hell? [face_plain] :mad:

Gorefiend and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Havac nice try :p

Your point about Romans is well taken. It just seems so, I don't know, awful. I don't think I'm a prude, but then I also don't think I'm that sort of person either. I'm civilized, dammit. We're better than animal instincts. :p Doesn't seem appropriate to encourage the casual sexism that goes on at college events.

It also just doesn't seem my scene. Sorority and frat types? Boisterous, loud, party-goers? I enjoy being sociable, but in a convivial setting. If I wanted to "enjoy the view," I feel like I'd go to an art museum or the opera. I mean, they don't have wet t-shirts at either but it's so much better. Not exploitative. :p

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I've got this image of Jello, dressed like he's going to an art show, standing slightly off to the side, pensively evaluating the goings-on as he would the frescoes of Pompeii.

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Maybe they just need to make it a wet toga contest. [face_whistling]

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Nope. Well, I deliberately chose not to go to the two Florida schools that would be the most likely culprits for that sort of thing, but the one I went to was a commuter school at the time that basically shut down Friday afternoon.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I. Only men and hookers wore togas (true fact).

II. Togas were like, 30 foot long wool garments wrapped around a person's body. Do you know how HEAVY a wet toga would be?

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.