Lit CAD BANE IS DUROS (BUT ACKBAR IS WATCHING) - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

1. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    MST3K had a gag where they went to Ancient Rome and attempted a toga party... which failed, because as they pointed out, they were all wearing togas anyways. So they decided to have a 'pants party' instead, which became a big hit. [face_laugh]
  2. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Which just makes it all the more fitting, especially if they also dress up a few of those well build firemen. :D

Just insures that they can’t run away to fast.
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
  4. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Oh äh... second answer might have raised unfortunate implications that were in no way intended.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Well, thank goodness. And this, my friends, is why I feel decidedly uncomfortable with the frat mentality. Knowing those types, they probably would've full well meant those implications. I have no intention of encouraging or participating in such nonsense, even if it's "young fun" or whatever. There are a lot of things that I am certainly not sorry that I missed out on.

edit: So that this post isn't entirely a downer, I'll clarify that Roman women wore either tunicae, chitones, or peploi (along with a palla and stola if one was married) -- along with a strophium, of course. Because there's nothing more exciting than Roman fashion, is there? If I could get a decent pair of hobnailed Roman caligae, I'd probably wear them in place of flipflops or sandals... :p
    Last edited by GrandAdmiralJello, Apr 9, 2013
  6. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    [IMG]
    Gorefiend likes this.
  7. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    Last edited by blackmyron, Apr 9, 2013
  8. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    A friend just showed me this pretty funny advertisement :)

[IMG]
    The slogan basically is „You will only find more helmets on the Death Star“.
    Last edited by Gorefiend, Apr 9, 2013
  9. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Absolutely nothing wrong with despising frat mentality. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that it should be the natural response.
    GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  10. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
  11. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I like where this went...
  12. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
  13. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
  14. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    So, I never read fanfiction...

... but when I do, it's stuff like Forward, a Firefly fanfic. I went into it very skeptical (all I really know about Fanfic is its reputation), but there are times when I'm glad I'm wrong. Remarkably good, and as of about halfway through it, seems to only be getting better. He writes a phenomenal River; "First Interlude" is downright beautiful (never, ever thought I'd use that word in regard to fanfiction). Aside from the increased violence, it does feel like it could have been written by Whedon.

Thank you TVtropes, great recommendation. Worth a shot if you're bored or avoiding writing a paper.
    Last edited by instantdeath, Apr 10, 2013
    Point Given and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I only read fanfiction that's been personally recommended to me. It's like finding a needle in a haystack if you want to look for quality fanfiction... but it DOES exist. Publius -- of DomusPublica fame -- writes some great, EU-arcana-heavy Imperial fanfic, for instance. There was also this weird Luke AU fanfic that Dunc and sabarte recommended to me way back when that I never finished, because it's positively gargantuan.

(In other news, I believe I mentioned having to do an oral presentation last week? I got my grade back: B+ . suuuuuuuuucks.)
  16. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    YES, PLEASE!

("Standalone DLC"? Why not just call it, you know, a "game"?)
    Last edited by Ulicus, Apr 11, 2013
    Gorefiend likes this.
  17. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    I think you still need the original game to play that’s why ist DLC but apparently (unless they have an amazing writer) not related to the original game. :D
  18. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    No, it's completely standalone. That's why I think referring to it as DLC at all is kind of weird.

Anyway, I *thought* I recognised that narrator... and it turns out I did.

Gonna have to buy this on principle, now.
    Gorefiend likes this.
  19. cthugha Force Ghost

star 3
    Talking about grades, I recently got the best bit of back-talk by a student ever: When I told him to quit drawing Star Destroyers on his desk he looked at me like I was crazy and protested: "That's no Star Destroyer! That's an Acclamator-class cruiser!"

I guess I'll have to be more exact in my admonishments in the future.
  20. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
  21. cthugha Force Ghost

star 3
    Want!
    Where do I find this?
  22. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    http://web.archive.org/web/20120717000110/http://www.domuspublica.net/inventions.html

The site is now dead, so archive.org is the only place to get them. My favorite stories are the Silver Fox stories, but they're not all labeled as such, so I'd just read the stories from the top down. "The Good Old Days," "The Life and Times of a Rounding Error," and "The Emperors" are also fun.

"The Test of Wills," at the bottom, is an attempt at a Dark Empire novelization.

You gave him an A, I hope!
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Report to the Fleet Junkies thread within twenty-four standard hours for reeducation.
  24. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    We have a tutorial prepped and ready to go. :p

--Adm. Nick
  25. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Item #1: Describe the following image.

[IMG]