main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    But you are, however, perfectly suited to run for Congress.

2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I'm a foreign no-good supporter of welfare states and I have background in a military force that is not part of NATO. That is why I must say that I have never had any contact with Jello.

Just quote that if someone asks. You are welcome.

TrakNar likes this.
  3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Don't you just love it when you find a song that won't allow you to stop listening to it until you hate it and never want to hear it again?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    All the time, minus the hate part. Right now that song is American Pie for me.

5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, if the song's good enough I never actually come to hate it. It's just always a bummer when it gets to the point where listening to it no longer has you spell bound :(. I'm more of an album person, but I will occasionally loop one particular track I like.

A recent example is Lazarus by Porcupine Tree. I can't comprehend how that hasn't become a hit (well, I can actually, but let's not go into that). Could listen to it for hours at a time. Still good, but lost that effect.

Current one I'm blowing out: Vapour Trail. That guitar riff should be a legal substitute for crack.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Come on, id, we all know you're listening to Call Me Maybe.

instantdeath likes this.
  7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Y'know, as much as this may ruin my pretentious hipster image I've so carefully crafted, I honestly don't hate that song. Well, I didn't the first two hundred or so times I heard it. Still, it's actually fairly decent as far as pop goes. Much better than the average Top 40 tripe, at least.

However, if you want to see me go all Hulk Smash on nearby pedestrians, just play Moves Like Jagger. Or any Maroon 5. Words cannot express how much I hate that band. I'm not the type of person who hates an artist personally based on not enjoying their work... but, well, you wouldn't find me crying if someone decided to bury them alive in New Mexico.

jSarek and RC-1991 like this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    **** *** *** ******************* **** ******* **** ** ** * ** *** * * ** * ** * ******.

I don't know if there's any profanity that matches up with that, but that summarizes my feelings on being reminded of that stupid song. Worse than Small World!

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Just think of Moves Like Jagger. Assuming your ears are working correctly, your anger will completely disappear... only to be replaced by a much more powerful wave of anger.

Actually, you know what, **** Moves Like Jagger. "Stupid Ho" by Nicki Minaj is easily the most offensive, manufactured piece of garbage to ever become popular on the airwaves. I won't give it even more undeserved attention by linking it.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know what either of those two things are, so therefore I am either safe or still in danger. I don't know enough to say which :p

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Ew, Nicki Minaj. [face_sick]

And I gotta admit, Call Me Maybe is pretty damn catchy. [face_whistling]

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I would love to see a reaction video of you watching the Stupid Ho video. I think your head might explode on camera. It truly is one of the most awful things ever produced.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The trick to a song like Call Me Maybe is to not actually listen to the radio ever. As popular as it is, you'll still hear it around from time to time, but not every 40 minutes. If it's a good enough song, eventually it'll jump out at you through its own merit instead of being drilled into your skull.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I actually heard Gangnam Style on the radio a few months ago.

But yeah, if you want to avoid all that annoying pop, just listen to rock-only stations. They exist. ;)

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    What sane person listens to the radio? Satellite radio I can understand, but the radio? Even I'm not quite that masochistic. Two words: Auxiliary port :p

I despise my local rock station as well, since they have some strange fixation with Avenged Sevenfold.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know how you can avoid hearing things like these though, for the most part... every bar/club/lounge ever will eventually play them. It's inevitable.

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    On this subject: I read a statistic about a week ago that said 65% of people found new music primarily through the radio. That made me want to paint all my windows black and just hide from society for awhile.

18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Solution: don't go to bars, clubs, or lounges.

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Not goes to bars?

Does not compute. Does not compute. Does not....... (boom)

--Adm. Nick

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They're not my preferred venues, no -- but there is a certain cost to being sociable. You can't always go to places that you personally like. :p

Otherwise we'd do all our socializing at museums or embassies or (social) clubs. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Who doesn't?

22. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I do all my socializing at... schools?

I have gone to bars but I leave them early. I don't like their atmosphere and feel like going to sleep would be much more fun. I have sung karaoke but I was sober at the time. Can't we just visit a library or some other place where we don't have to talk loudly?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I feel like going to the library defeats the point of socializing. :p I agree with you about bars (more often crowded, full of smokers, and dirty if they're dive bars -- although I have to say that more reputable establishments can be pleasant places for good networking and the like) and I agree with you about any place that blares music so loud that you can't actually hear the people you're supposedly spending time with. I suspect people's main motives to go to these places is just to get smashed, which doesn't really appeal all that much to me.

Do you guys even have museums? :p

edit: Actually one of the cooler places I've been to here is the Cosmos Club. Only two American Presidents were admitted as members, iirc, and one of them is Teddy Roosevelt. They have a wall of Nobel Prize winners (generally leaning towards the sciences) -- that's right a high class social club (stereotypical winged tuffed leather chairs to boot!) for scientists. Who'd have thought? :p

Then again, it was founded in like the 19th century, where being into science was de la mode among the elite :p

edit2: pretty slideshow: https://www.cosmosclub.org/Default.aspx?pageindex=1&pageid=111&status=1

24. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    We did. Until an alien spaceship crash-landed on it.

[​IMG]

Gorefiend, RC-1991 and Ulicus like this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I kinda dislike bars, but pretty much all my friends and I do is go to them. The drinking part's fine, but I hate the loud ****ing music and the often crowded standing areas. It's no fun if you and your friends feel like you're in the middle of rush hour in a Japanese subway station.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.