main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

West Virginia or South Carolina?

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    West Virginia, home sweet home!

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's impressive. I'm in Charlotte and I've driven down to Sanibel in 14 hours, so I guess 9-10 for Orlando.

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    So on a dare I started reading the Sword of Truth series. Cringeworthy dialogue, thy name is Goodkind.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Is this some experimental urge to be a masochist ID?

instantdeath likes this.
  6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Ben, remember who you're talking to

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Why are you reading other books when you haven't read the NJO? That's not allowed.

RC-1991 and instantdeath like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Obviously you've decided to escalate to the hard core stuff!

JUST SAY NO!

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    The NJO is rapidly approaching. Just need to listen to the DE audio drama's and read the Bantam era books. Then, with the exception of the Republic Commando series (may do that before the NJO, not sure yet), Coruscant Nights and some of the more recent stuff, I'll have read all the major SW books. Then I get to be depressed and jaded with you guys with LOTF and beyond. It's nice to have something to look forward to.

But I haven't even gotten to the Evil Chicken yet!

Personally, I'm waiting for the Objectivist propaganda to kick in. I doubt I'll be able to read that without getting severe stomach pains.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No Republic Commando. NJO now.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    If you aren't going to read the NJO right now, at least finish Malazan. So we can discuss in fine detail just how awesome Quick Ben is.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I may need to add a "currently reading" line to my sig--that's a cool idea.

I think I've read everything in the Clone Wars era except for Traviss's work (and I have read No Prisoners). By the time I finish the NJO, the Kenobi novel will probably be out. After that I'm going to have to bother you guys for recommendations.

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ulicus, Jedi Ben

I just saw that Matt Smith is stepping down as the Doctor at the end of the year! Dear God, how does a Doctor Who youngling like myself, who has only know Matt Smith as the Doctor, learn to cope with a new actor? :eek:[face_nail_biting]

Help me, my British friends from across the Pond (the Atlantic, not Amy! :p). Teach me how you have done this in the past!

--Adm. Nick

14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It's fairly easy for me, Nick, because regeneration is one of my favourite things about the show. I'd already reached the point where I was happy for Matt to go at any time (though I'd have liked maybe one more series with him and Clara), so now I'm just excited about the fact I'm gonna get to meet the Doctor all over again. :D

CK II people:

I think this may have been one of the fan-written events that won the contest Paradox held. It's amusing

[​IMG]

I like to think he passed that axe on to his son:

[​IMG]
    Which reminds me! Instead of helmets when you set your Norse character to lead troops... they either shave or braid their beards. :D

Urgh. So addictive.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Buy the DVDs of RTD's reign and acquaint yerself with Eccleston and Tennant!

16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    But don't pay attention to the nonsense RTD has Ten say about regeneration in his final episodes. Completely flies in the face of the history of the show and everything we know about the process. :p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm currently watching Doctor Who from the beginning of the series and can't decide how I'm going to feel when they change Doctors.

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    My guess? You'll feel sad at the departure of the last one, initially... and then the next will immediately win you over with their first full episode.

19. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    That's...actually pretty clever of them.

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Seven Warrens! :p

21. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Ah, but do you know *how* he can command seven warrens?

22. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Ended up getting Old Gods after all. Would rather have gotten it on sale, but CK2 is good enough that I want Paradox to have the funds to make more.

23. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Alas, not yet. But I do know that a man who can walk into a God's domain and threaten him has to have more than a few tricks up his sleeve. I'm looking forward to learning more about them (I'm about to resume my Malazan read).

Also, Sword of Truth: holy crap. That speech about "the evils of fire" has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read, especially because there was a very valid point there that he could have made (that misfortune is not something that can ever be entirely guarded against, that it's as natural as fire), but he just leaves it at "fire=bad". I've heard people say this series gets worse after the first book [face_hypnotized]

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Dan Harmon's back on Community. Guess I'll be watching Season Five after all....

... and VENTURE BROTHERS!!!

CooperTFN likes this.
  25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Good news, but they need Chevy too. Pierce is a core part of the show. Here's to hoping that Dan & Chevy make amends.

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.