main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If that was an archive.org version of his site, then yes, they'd be under the "Inventions" section. You want to read, and in the following order: "The Silver Fox." "Return of the Silver Fox." "A View of the Stars." "The Silver Fox Strikes Again." "The Elusive Silver Fox."

Also worth reading, but unrelated: "The Good Old Days" and "Surely You Can't Be Serious: The Life and Times of a Rounding Error."

2. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I don't know if any of you celebrate the Midsummer, but happy that anyway. I have packed sausages, spare clothes and Terry Pratchett's Lords and Ladies and will spend the nightless night eating fatty foods, watching bonfires and slapping mosquitoes.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    So I'm a failure and couldn't find it. Would His Imperial Majesty humble a peasant by posting it again? O:)

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    instantdeath

Can you send me a link to The Test of Wills? I haven't read that in ages and I cannot find a copy online.

--Adm. Nick

5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    As long as there's not a forum rule that prohibits it, I'll post it here, in case anyone else would like to check it out. Very interesting read

And yes, I really had to dig for it. Had always been curious about the fanmade DE novelization I kept hearing about. For something that's purely a labor of love, it doesn't disappoint in the slightest.

http://www.cse.usf.edu/~pnguyen7/tow.pdf

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Please do not post fanfic on--ah, just kidding.

TF.N staff emeritus are prohibited from moderating the forums. 50 lashes administered by @GrandAdmiralJello, in a toga, is your punishment. [face_devil]:p

--Adm. Nick

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Ulicus likes this.
  8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I think this forum would be a much happier place if every post was met with toga lashings.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Nick, don't take this the wrong way, but: <3

Also I generally prefer using the archived link to his own site, because it also contains his other excellent work: http://web.archive.org/web/20120204063515/http://www.domuspublica.net/inventions.html

Sadly the New Order in Power is not there (have to go to SD.N for that one) and some incomplete works aren't posted there as they were never finished.

edit: instantdeath , ah, and the above link should also suit you as well, as it contains the stories I mentioned yesterday.

instantdeath likes this.
  11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Thanks.

However, it's worth noting that Test of Wills from the archive site leads to a broken link, so it's my way or nothing on that one. Not sure about the others.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ah, that's because the story is posted there on a pdf as well it looks like -- the other stories are posted right on the webpage, so they work fine.

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    So, AdmiralNick22, I had some Bulleit rye with dinner tonight. It was delicious.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Sic Transit Gloria just makes me think of that depressing song I used to be obsessed with as a teenager.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I can make you think of a different song!

It's a world of laughter, it's a world of tears, it's world of hopes, it's a world of fears...

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
  18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Once you start down the Bulleit rye path, forever will it dominate your destiny. [face_devil]

I like it both neat and on the rocks. Havac, if you are ever in California, I will have you over when I do a whiskey tasting with friends. My home bar has a rather large collection to sample from.

GrandAdmiralJello

Sorry for lagging, I haven't forgot about your wine!

--Adm. Nick

Havac likes this.
  19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    So... Steam are having a sale on all of Paradox's games.

This is both a heads up and a question: which Paradox games should I go for? I probably won't play them right away, as I still haven't had much time to devote to CSII, but I can't resist Steam sales.

20. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Crusader Kings 2 is properly the most fun of them, though EU 3 imho is actually best of them. Hearts of Iron and Pride of Nations though are not that great.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm pretty sure the scotch path will be dominating my destiny.

22. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    CK2 is certainly the best Paradox game ever made and probably also the best game ever made.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So apparently at this graduation party in my honor, there will be speeches. And my uncle is gonna name drop the JC. Wut.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Remember when Kreia said that the True Sith Empire is (someone remind me how old?) and that Korriban is on the fringes of it?

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah.

Sion: [The Trayus Academy] is ancient, a relic that survived the destruction of Malachor. It was always here, far before the Mandalorian Wars. It draws death and hate to it, channels it. Atrocities feed its power, and with its power, it creates hunger. Many Jedi have been consumed by it. It has been here for thousands of years. It is a place where the Sith teachings run strong... it is the threshold of the borders of an ancient empire. Kreia says it was a place of reflection for the ancient Sith... a gateway to their lands. It drew Lord Revan... and it calls to her as well. She said that the teachings here will lead one to the Sith... the true Sith... and all their shadowed worlds. This place led Revan to the graveyards of Korriban... and beyond.

And:

Kreia: It is because [Revan] remembered what lay buried here - this place, its teachings. It paved the way to Korriban, you know, the remnants here. And he came because Malachor, like Korriban, lies on the fringes of the ancient Sith Empire, where the true Sith wait for us, in the dark. ... You thought that the corrupted remnants of the Republic, the machines spawned by technology that Revan led into battle were the Sith? You are wrong. The Sith is a belief. And its empire, the true Sith Empire, rules elsewhere.

I don't think there's anything specific about how old it is. Beyond "thousands of years". But KotOR II was written back when the Sith Lords were a product of Xendor's schism, not the Hundred-Year Darkness. (So a twenty thousand year Empire, as opposed to a two thousand year one)

Talking about SW in the social thread is weird. :p

darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.