main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Oh no, I didn't mean to come off as complaining. I enjoy seeing really big alert numbers.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    We're all egotists at heart. ;)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Didn't think I'd pick up anything at the Steam sale, but I had forgotten about the uber-cheesy Far Cry III: BLOOD DRAGON, now on sale for $9...

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Get it. Its cheesiness is a work of art.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    That article makes me laugh. And cry a bit. :p

--Adm. Nick

7. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Do I want to buy Bioshock Infinite for $30? And can I afford to buy Bioshock Infinite, even at $30. Two very important questions.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Kickstarter campaign -- advertise a dramatic playthrough in the VO guise of Wes Janson?

9. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Deus Ex classic needs to go on sale posthaste.

Tempted by the Walking Dead game. On the one hand, it's 75% off and is the best part of that franchise, hands down. On the other hand, I've already watched a friend play through most of it.

10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'd wait until the base price drops another $10, and then get that for 75% off.

11. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I can't help but be heartened by any media attention on the EU. I don't think it'll affect what Disney will do, but it does make me feel better.

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

You don't, it is one of the most generic Ego-Shooters ever made, not even the story is all that great.

13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    [face_shame_on_you] Quantum mechanics and running through Disney's Main Street USA killing people is not 'generic'.

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

With how utterly bland the combat is even that is only fun for 2 minutes, and if you already make a story which is based on different choices made by the player character the actual game should not be 100 % linear.

15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, part of that statement I can't get into without spoiling some of the plot. But as far as linear games go, I do prefer sandbox games. But when I think of 'bland' and 'boring', GTA IV is what I think of. And, sadly, Dead Island. Bioshock Infinite was also visually beautiful, and I'm a sucker for games with a wealth of details and scenery.
    Linear games are, I think, more of a 'storytelling' function nowadays - witness the Metro series, which is about as strictly an "A to B" game as can be made these days.

16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Even Metro at least manages different endings. ;)

17. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    So, I'm taking my big kids (13 and 11) to see ROTJ at the AFI in Silver Spring, MD tonight. It's part of their "Totally Awesome 80s" film series this summer, plus it's the 30th anniversary of ROTJ summer release. They've never seen any SW film in a theater before (I refuse to count TCW movie).

Should be fun.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    SE or original?

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    She said totally awesome 80s. [face_whistling]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Everything was better in the 80es anyway

[​IMG]

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well... sort of. (Again, I don't want to spoil it for others). But like most Star Wars games with multiple endings, there's a 'correct' ending.

Part of it is my own personal likes. A visually stimulating game filled with concepts that I'm interested in (conspiracy theories, Cthulhu, post-apocalyptic settings) will trump gameplay for me, so I'm not a reliable source when it comes to recommending video games. Heck, I played the original Deus Ex when my computer couldn't even handle it, resulting in sloooow action and numerous graphics glitches, because I loved the concept so much. (And love it moreso when I could actually, y'know, play it properly).

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I wish I could recommend Bioshock Infinite -- it's a beautiful, well-designed game, but it feels hugely linear to me. Maybe that's what FPS games are supposed to be like, but it's really sad. I also don't like games without dialogue, but RPGs have spoiled me I suppose.

I got a good deal on Infinite -- I paid the launch price, but I got the original Bioshock along with X-COM free along with it, so 3 games for the price of one isn't bad.

If you think it's worth it to get a gorgeous, quirky game that'll probably be good for only one playthrough: get it. If you want more value for your money... then wait.

The best/worst part about it is that Marvel gets namedropped for some reason and not Dark Horse. :(

edit: No, the best part is where they think LFL has a continuity editor 8-}

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would break my bank account for an 80s film fest here.

24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Which X-COM? The latest one has been tempting me, but I'm undecided on whether or not it's worth it.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The new one? Enemy Unknown?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.