main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Man gets married
    Man has sex with wife
    Wife gets pregnant
    Wife has kid

Wow, who'd have thought it?

What do I really think? This:

Is it a happy occasion? Yeah, for them. Is it our business? Not really no. Yes we fund the Royals and they work their arse off with no retirement ever! The kid will, in years to come, pay that due. But right now? Leave them the hell alone. Let them enjoy what they've got and respect that that these moments doesn't belong to "us".

instantdeath likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It is a public moment, Ben -- it's announced to the public, and even earlier than that, phone calls were placed to the prime minister and the 15 governors-general of the commonwealth realms.

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And I disagree point blank with that Jello. I don't need to know this immediately, I'm quite content for the happy couple of enjoy the uniqueness of the moment for say a couple of days and then tell the world. Our "needs" can wait a short while.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You may disagree with it, but you may as well argue with the wind. This is how it's always been done.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yet the world is certainly not what it always was.

Look I get it's a happy occasion and all, but people are going up to 11 over this in a way that doesn't make sense.

Plus I'm sure our opportunistic PM won't miss a chance to milk it for all its worth.

In a way, what it boils down to is a sense of feeling quite protective towards the couple and the kid, especially given how our media is.

6. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    And with the tabloids, it's so much smarter for them to try to control how they tell the press - rather than having innocent Mums and their prams trampled in a photo frenzy. I think they have to tell everyone right up front.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You know what you should have posted Jello? This:

[​IMG]

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Eh, like I said somewhat flippantly, it's a celebrity baby. People tend to really care about that stuff. For the royalty it just gets to be a patriotic celebrity baby.

9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Gorefiend and Zeta1127 like this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    YOU'RE A CELEBRITY BABY

instantdeath likes this.
  11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    And I've got absolutely nothing. I am defeated and formally submit myself for punishment.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Heh, that exchange reminds me of a scene from In Bruges. Great movie, that.

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    "I'm sorry for calling you an inanimate object. I was upset."

14. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    When I went to Bruges earlier this month that film got thrown around all the time. I even went to this place where a dog from the movie (?) frequented, and people waited for him so as to snap a lucky picture of the celebrity hound.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I has a panama hat with a feather in it. For my safari.

Oh yeah btw I'm going on safari in a couple weeks.

jSarek and Rainbow Knight Star like this.
  16. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Try to avoid getting eaten by the scenery. Or trampled.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I really wanted to get a pith helmet but all my friends dissuaded me and said it would probably get me shot. :(

Rainbow Knight Star and RC-1991 like this.
  18. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    Hello, Lit fans.

I'm not new to the JCF, but very new to this forum. I have read the rules, so I assume I'm good to go.

A special hello to the Mod with a Mouth. I hope we get to chat sometime.

Point Given Hello from prj1. I wondered where you were.

GrandAdmiralJello Have fun on your safari, Jello. Where are you going on this little adventure, if I may ask?

:D

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
  20. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I was coming in here to comment on that too.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  21. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    "I reject your trap and substitute my own!"

[​IMG]

Gorefiend and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know who Adam Savage is, but that's a heck of a costume -- and I always like the old-timey uniform look.

In other news: played the BSG board game for the first time tonight. It's incredibly fun.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  23. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Jello, you have never heard of the Mythbusters?

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, he's one of those guys? I've seen it here and there but I never followed it. Is he the guy that looks like a walrus, or is he the other guy?

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The BSG board game is, for me, an exercise in totalitarianism. As I can't trust anyone, everyone goes into the brig, or (in later versions) out of the airlock, and I attempt to acquire the titles of both President and Admiral. Thus, nobody can trust me and then I'm playing divide and conquer for the whole game. And that is how I play every game, regardless of whether I'm the Cylon or not :D

My wife and I have been so manipulative in said game that we have friends who outright refuse to play it with us. Lovely moments.

ma_petite likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.